Large hooks, not plastic

Bill at Turn of the Century makes larger wooden hooks. :)

Lorry

I second this...I, too, can't work with plastic. I got an absolutely beautiful P Hook from Bill that works great! I heartily recommend him.

Did you get the bright plastic Boye or the white plastic Bates?

The white ones have a much better slide. I don't like the bright ones at all.

you could try rubbing them down with wax paper every 5 minutes - that seems to help a lot.

Thanks for replies. I have the Crystalites set with L,M,N,P and they stick to everything. These things are in serious danger of being turned into bracelets :).

I found the Boye "N" hook online. The handmade wooden hooks are beautiful. sound a lil pricey. I'd prefer metal if available - tend to be rough on my tools.

I have the large sizes in wood, also ... inherited from my Mom... I suspect they're quite old

I also don't care to work with the plastic varieties

I really like the wooden Moez hooks:

http://www.moezunlimited.com/get-hooked.html

They are designed as afghan hooks, but I use the 9" one as a regular hook. They are very light and very smooth. They list the hooks by mm size, so you'll need to convert that to a corresponding letter. I know the smallest (green handle) is a size L.

No connection.. just a happy hooker!

Joan

I just got a set from Bill at Turn of the Century, and they are fabulous! However if you can't afford them, but have a Joanns near you then go check out their house brand under the Sensations name. They were metal and had larger sizes. I would go in soon though, as the one by me was clearancing out their stock for .50 cents a hook.

I would die to find a P or Q hook in aluminum. Are you listening hook-manufacturers? ALUMINUM. I cant imagine that the cost difference between an N hook and a P hook in aluminium would be SO great that it prohibits them from ever being made. Everywhere I see hooks for sale, I check for P's or Q's in metal, just on the off chance that someone somewhere makes them. Can you tell it makes me a little crazy?

I found some rosewood hooks at Hobby Lobby that went through M, I think. I paid about $15 for the set of four.

You might also look for Brittany hooks online, or at your LYS. I believe they have some larger hooks.

Ruth

I would die to find a P or Q hook in aluminum. Are you listening hook-manufacturers? ALUMINUM. I cant imagine that the cost difference between an N hook and a P hook in aluminium would be SO great that it prohibits them from ever being made. Everywhere I see hooks for sale, I check for P's or Q's in metal, just on the off chance that someone somewhere makes them. Can you tell it makes me a little crazy?

I am soooo right there with you. It would be great to get any size hook you ever wished for in aluminum or steel althought steel could be heavy in a P or Q. I would be happy if I could just find anything bigger than a K right now. WAKE UP MANUFACTURERS AND HEAR OUR CRYS! :yell

Have you tried writing in to the companys or email them? I did about 10 years ago...if more people would just write or email in they would listen and know there is a market for them... I would love the larger crochet hooks in Susan Bates and Boyle because I do use both.

I love my large wood crochet hooks. I bought them off of E-bay.

Come on eveyone lets all wriite in. I wouldn't know how to start one of those e-mail or online letters where eveyone signs it and get it going then send it to the compnay of Susan Bates and Boyle for the larger O,P,Q,R metal crochet hooks.

some one gets that going send it my way I will sign it in a heart beat.

I've been all over the net and can't find big hooks in any kind of metal. I did find wood, bamboo, even hooks made out of bone or abalone shells.

I'll have to check out Joann's. I've never even been in there. Nobody in this town likes going into the city :).

Ok, well I just emailed Wrights (makers of Boye hooks)... lets see if they reply... I'll try emailing Coats & Clark (makers of Susan Bates hooks) too. I know that the Susan Bates line just came out with new hook styles for the fall - they are aluminum hooks with bamboo handles. I have seen them but havent tried them yet. Call me weird, but I dont like the bamboo hooks much in general.

I don't like the bamboo crochet hooks at all. I bought one to check it out on so many yarns and I just don't care for it. I did not buy anymore but I did keep just the one I bought. I did try the clover when they came out and loved it. I went back when Hobby Lobby had their half off crochet hook sale and bought 1 of each hook. Love them!

I got a reply back from Wrights (who make the Boye hooks) - their response said the larger hook sizes (P, Q and S) would just be too heavy in aluminum, so they do not make them and will not be making them. :cry They make whole airplanes out of aluminium, there must be a way they could make these hooks and still keep them light! I refuse to give up!

There are some large hooks in the auction. :):hook

I dislike the wood and plastic hooks. I just dont like the way the wood feels or the grip I have on it... so its aluminum for me. I only use the plastic hooks for the bigger sizes, because its all there is, but I truly do prefer aluminum. Its weird, I know. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I second this...I, too, can't work with plastic. I got an absolutely beautiful P Hook from Bill that works great! I heartily recommend him.

What is your "P" hook made out of? And who is "Bill"?, never heard of it. :think

Wyndfire and and paperflowers, I am with you. I like my cars small and I like my hooks big and preferably aluminum. Manufacturers should do hollow hooks in the large sizes. you know, like some gold jewelry is hollow on the inside? I don't think a 4mm layer of aluminum would bend...I will email coats & clark.

p.s. paperflowers - i have the Acrylic Crystalites L,M,N,P set, and I'm replacing each size with the white plastic "Luxite" version from Bates. The Luxite does not squeak against acrylic yarn, and I use my P & Q hooks very often. I found what I wanted online at Herrshners.

Archived