Have you ever found an error in a free pattern?

While trying to make a layette pattern, I stumbled on what I think is a few errors. So I contacted the site that the pattern is on, and haven't heard back yet. This was about 2 weeks ago. Am I expecting too much for them to actually reply?

Have you ever had something like this happen?

I know the Lion Brand site free patterns often have errors, or had because of the 'corrections' at the top. I've stumbled across a few, but usually I found a work-around myself and didn't bother to contact the site. (usually because I only have a printout at that point and am on a plane somewhere over the US :P )

If it's from a yarn company, they'll probably just post a correction to the pattern - but who knows when.

If it's from an individual - who knows?

You can try posting a link to the pattern, and explaining which part is giving you difficulty in the Crochet Help forum (in the Clinic section). I've always found help there!

Most sites, including Lion Brand, and a lot of the crochet magazines you can subscribe to have an errata page. Unfortunately, errors happen (as with most things humans try to do). Just email the site and hopefully they will correct it. It might be too much to expect them to reply to your inquiry personally by reply email, but they may surprise you:clap

....in bought patterns too....in a doll clothes pattern I bought there's an error in the shirtdress....which of course I didn't find until I tried and tried and tried to make it...and had to figure out myself that (if I remember correctly) either some stitches or an entire row, which I think was the error, was missing.

I found an error in one of the free Annie's Attic patterns, I believe it was called Promenade. Almost pulled my hair out over it, then one day I was browsing http://www.freepatterns.com and found it there. When I printed it out and compared the two, there was a major discrepancy in the 10th round. I was able to finish the project, but it's one I won't make again.

....in bought patterns too....in a doll clothes pattern I bought there's an error in the shirtdress....which of course I didn't find until I tried and tried and tried to make it...and had to figure out myself that (if I remember correctly) either some stitches or an entire row, which I think was the error, was missing.

I have a UFO of a purse. I bought the pattern online, bought the yarn, started working on it and immediately found an error. :thair I contacted the company...no reply. I semi-figured out the error...went on, then found another...not sure if this is an inconsistancy or an error. But I just can't work the project now. :yell

:thair I contacted the company...no reply. I semi-figured out the error...went on, then found another...not sure if this is an inconsistancy or an error. But I just can't work the project now. :yell

See that is how I am feeling right now. I am just so disgusted with it, I no longer have a desire to make it. I have been checking the site to see if they happened to make the corrections there. NOPE!! I will find the link again and post it later. It is a free site, and I am so happy that they exist, but this is driving me nuts!!

I've reported errors. I don't remember if I got a response or not. I would hope that someone who went before me that found an error reported it so when I got to the pattern it would be fixed. If it is something I did, I'd certainly want to know.

Valerie

Of course :yes there can be problems with patterns...even free ones, but if the pattern is older...it has usually been corrected by now. If you have such a problem I suggest you go to the part of our forum called "Crochet Help" Try to explain as best you can your problem...the pattern you are useing and perhaps a photo of the trouble spot...there are many people here who can simply look at what is wrong with your pattern and tell you right away how to fix it. You never know........and you certainly have nothing to lose by asking for a bit of help!:hug I have only found kind, helpful,encouraging people here in Crochetville..............they are a great bunch!

I usually try to find an errata for the pattern online before beginning, just to be sure. Otherwise, several times, I've had to just "wing it" with a pattern, if it looks like it's dead wrong somewhere. I did this a lot with the 63 Cable Squares Afghan.

Here is the link to the layette that I was talking about: http://www.******/crochet/bab3pieset.html

This is where I found the error:

Row 17--Inc 11 sts only (162 sts).

Row 18--Work even.

Row 19--S1 st in first s c, ch 3, 1 dc in next st * skip 1 sc, 1 dc in next st, ch 2, d c in same st, skip 1 sc, 1 dc in each of the next 2 dc, repeat from *to end of Row, ch 3, turn (33 d c patterns).

If you work the pattern, you can NOT get 33 dc patterns. If you do the math, you can only work out 32 with a few st left over. I have worked it a few times, and I get the same thing every time.

That is where I stopped. I was going to try and make other stuff in the pattern and that is when I figured out that the Mitts are written for Knitting. I contacted them about it and like I said...haven't heard anything yet.

OH and there is another error...in Row 19 is says to 1 dc in each of the next 2 dc...you have yet to make any dc...so I am just assuming that this is a typo.

So what do you all think? Am I wrong? Please let me know how I could fix this. I really love this pattern and have a few friends that are due at the end of the year. I would like to make this for one of them.

Here is the link to the layette that I was talking about: http://www.******/crochet/bab3pieset.html

This is where I found the error:

Row 17--Inc 11 sts only (162 sts).

Row 18--Work even.

Row 19--S1 st in first s c, ch 3, 1 dc in next st * skip 1 sc, 1 dc in next st, ch 2, d c in same st, skip 1 sc, 1 dc in each of the next 2 dc, repeat from *to end of Row, ch 3, turn (33 d c patterns).

If you work the pattern, you can NOT get 33 dc patterns. If you do the math, you can only work out 32 with a few st left over. I have worked it a few times, and I get the same thing every time.

That is where I stopped. I was going to try and make other stuff in the pattern and that is when I figured out that the Mitts are written for Knitting. I contacted them about it and like I said...haven't heard anything yet.

OH and there is another error...in Row 19 is says to 1 dc in each of the next 2 dc...you have yet to make any dc...so I am just assuming that this is a typo.

So what do you all think? Am I wrong? Please let me know how I could fix this. I really love this pattern and have a few friends that are due at the end of the year. I would like to make this for one of them.

I will check out that pattern but I think you are having typo troubles too. You have listed 2 different row 19's. The bolded row above is row 20 in the pattern and you were to make dc's in the row 19 you listed above this one.

I'll give it a try and get back to you.

Yes I have...and

I've found mistakes in a paid for pattern as well...and yes, I complained and told them how to fix it...of course nothing happened...but I noticed the pattern isn't to be found anymore...and not one thank you from them.

I know that this is a vintage pattern...to me that it part of it appeal ;) A little while ago I asked about a bone hook...I have never heard of them. But didn't think too much about it because I am so new at this. I just don't know what to do. I mean, I was really enjoying how it was looking, but my lack of experience is what is holding me back from trying to work more of the pattern. What should I do?

I am crocheting this thing and keeping Row notes as I go. It just takes a while to get that many stitches worked up.

One quick note...

In one row she says to sc in 5, 2sc in the next.

In a later row she says to work an increase in every 10th stitch.

I think this change in protocols could get confusing.

she should either have said increase in every 6th stitch and then on the later row... every 10th stitch

OR

She should have said "sc in 5, 2sc in the next" and then sc in 9, 2sc in next.

If I had not gone into this with awareness that there is some confusion, I might not have caught on to the difference.

I'm on row 11... will get back to you soon

WOW!! Darski you are amazing and a godsend!! Thank you so much for going through all this trouble just to help me. I can't tell you how much it means to me!!!

I know the math didn't work out but I need to have something real in my hands... it helps me to think.

You are correct that you get 32 dc groups + the 2dc group that edges the front.

The question is what do you want to do from here? I can tell you how to get this made but not the way they do it. My way is easier :eek

work the pattern (including the increase to 3dc/4dc groups from the 2 dc groups)until they divide for the sleeves - row 25 seems to be it

Whenever I have a pattern like this where you will be separating out fronts, back and sleeves, I take the number of stitches/repeats that I have to work from and divide it by 6. (2 fronts, 2 sleeves and a double portion for the back in this case.)

if you divide the 32 by 6 you get 5 pats plus you have 2 extra. I always put the extra into sleeves.

So you would work 5 pattern repeats, skip 6 repeats(sleeve), work 10 repeats, skip 6 repeats(sleeve) and work with 5 for the other front side.

continue to work this body portion of the pattern with the increases until it is as long as you want it. The pattern stitch is really a V-Stitch with dc segments between them. The increasing in the dc parts gives you your flair at the hem.

When you have completed the body portion, go back to the sleeves and work them more or less by the pattern down to cuffs and such. attach your yarn in the underarm and work your rounds from there.

I can come up with a more precise row for making your divisions if needed. I would make the move at the point where you have (by row 24) 4 dc in each segment. Work 2 dc for the front and then go to (the last) 2 dc for that back segment. IYKWIM

Like I said, I can write this out in exact directions tomorrow.

Archived