burial gowns

I'm curious. Back in my grandmother's childhood days I suppose there were many more infant deaths ... but I was looking at several burial gown patterns and that got me to wondering. Did women make these just in case as soon as there was a pregnancy announcement? Were gowns automatically made to replace one that had just been used for a burial?

In our modern world it's hard to imagine anticipating an infant's death. And yet had I lost any of my babies I would surely have treasured the memory of dressing them in a beautiful love-enriched crocheted gown.

Have any of you ever made such a gown?

I'm curious. Back in my grandmother's childhood days I suppose there were many more infant deaths ... but I was looking at several burial gown patterns and that got me to wondering. Did women make these just in case as soon as there was a pregnancy announcement? Were gowns automatically made to replace one that had just been used for a burial?

In our modern world it's hard to imagine anticipating an infant's death. And yet had I lost any of my babies I would surely have treasured the memory of dressing them in a beautiful love-enriched crocheted gown.

Have any of you ever made such a gown?

I made one and sent it in for one of the Charity Blitz events.

From the moment I discovered that this ministry existed, I knew that I would have to make at least one. Like you, I knew that parents would feel so blessed that someone cared enough to have this gift of love for their little one when it was needed.

I have made over a dozen burial gowns over the past year and recently gave them to a nurse I know that works in the maternity ward of her hospital. She was so touched that someone would do this.

Along with the burial gown, I also included a bonnet (girl) or hat (boy), some booties, and a little angel bear for the parent to take home so they wouldn't leave the hospital with empty arms.

I made them in the hope that I could provide a small amount of comfort to a grieving family.

That is what I like about this group. There are several of us making burial gowns/blankets, booties,etc out of leftover yarn. I have never made an angel bear. What is it?

thanks, debbie

uwcheese

There are lots of free patterns online if you search, I came across them when I was looking for a christening gown for my daughter last spring.

This is a very worthwhile charity and you all are wonderful ladies for thinking of those grieving parents. Bless you!

That is what I like about this group. There are several of us making burial gowns/blankets, booties,etc out of leftover yarn. I have never made an angel bear. What is it?

thanks, debbie

uwcheese

I found a bunch of 4" bears that somebody had put wings, a halo, and a little dress on and made them into little ornaments. They were selling them for a charitable cause and I bought a bunch of them to add to my burial gown sets. I just hated the idea of the parents going home without anything to remember thier little one with.

I understand why these have to be made in baby yarn but if I could do them in WW I would make a dozen of them.

I might try making some "pockets" in WW and see if they would be acceptable.

The nurse told me that often the loss of a developing baby is not something that parents expect so they are not equipped to dress a baby if they deliver early and the baby passes away. These gowns provide a homemade "hug" that stays with the baby. And that is how they explain it to to the parents.

I cried when she told me this.......I will make these as long as I am able. Hope they never ask me to stop. How could I?....Debbie

uwcheese

• 3 months later...

My little niece was born at 5 months, and weighted only a pound and a half back in the early 80s. Her parents weren't prepared for the tragedy, and the hospital provided only a diaper and t-shirt to bury her in. I couldn't bear the thought of that, so I stayed up all night and crocheted a little white gown for her. I had no pattern, I just started putting something together. It was only a little bit too big, but she was put away like a little angel.

I hadn't thought about this in years, but this group has brought it all back to me. I think I'm going to start making some of these for one of our local hospitals, I think I'm also going to try to form a local group to do these together. Thank you for waking me up to the needs of others. How quickly we forget.

My little niece was born at 5 months, and weighted only a pound and a half back in the early 80s. Her parents weren't prepared for the tragedy, and the hospital provided only a diaper and t-shirt to bury her in. I couldn't bear the thought of that, so I stayed up all night and crocheted a little white gown for her. I had no pattern, I just started putting something together. It was only a little bit too big, but she was put away like a little angel.

I hadn't thought about this in years, but this group has brought it all back to me. I think I'm going to start making some of these for one of our local hospitals, I think I'm also going to try to form a local group to do these together. Thank you for waking me up to the needs of others. How quickly we forget.

:welcome to the Ville.

Yes, it is a very worthwhile charity. You know that no one can really prepare for this need and it is such an act of love.

I am so pleased that you will be contributing to this. When it is is needed it is such a blessing that a gown or angle pocket is there.

I have made several burial gowns over the last few years. We have a local

church charity that makes the burial gowns for the local hospitals. We also made baby blankets. We use the patterns available free on the net. We sometimes add a bonnet or hat. I do like the idea of the angel bear as an added item for the parent to keep. We make the gown have an opening all of the way down the front or back. The hospitals have said they prefer this to make it easier to dress the baby. We add little ribbons, or roses , or even cute tiny heart buttons to dress the gown up. We have used baby fingering type yarns--even a little scrap of pink , for example, can be used as trim. We have also used 3 ply such as Cuddlesoft or Jamie, but you can't find those locally any more. Bernat has a newer fingering weight yarn. Any heavier yarn such as the Lion Pound of Love, or Bernat Baby Soft or RH Baby Sport, or regular worsted we use for the blankets. Keep up your good works.

Nancy

what a fantastic charity.

My son is 6 months old and reading these posts and looking at the links was a bit too hard for me to do. I think I may have to wait awhile before I can consider making some myself. I almost started crying. So sad.

I just recently had a miscarriage and am sitting here crying my eyes out at work. Guess I am still a little emotional about it. Thank you to everyone who makes these wonderful gifts. When I feel up to it I will try to make a few for our local hospital.

Sara

Well ya'll got me thinking I need to be doing this....but that is ok. Can I ask why one much use a certain type of yarn? I would love to do this and maybe even start an organization or something locally, but don't have the money to be spending so much on the baby yarn...that stuff gets expensive after a while!

I just recently had a miscarriage and am sitting here crying my eyes out at work. Guess I am still a little emotional about it. Thank you to everyone who makes these wonderful gifts. When I feel up to it I will try to make a few for our local hospital.

Sara

:hug:manyheart:hug I'm so sorry sweetie.

Sara

I am so sorry that you had to deal with this. I know from my own pregnancies that you are completely invested in this little life and just because it did not go as planned does not diminish how you feel. My heart breaks for you and for every mom who goes home with empty arms and a missing piece of your heart. :hug:manyheart

Now I have a question. I was thinking about this over dinner. Don't the parents arrange for a funeral home to pick up the baby? I know funeral homes have clothing for adults. Don't they have infant clothing?

I know if I lost a baby at the hospital, I sure wouldn't leave it at the hospital and have them bury it. I'd have our local funeral home come get the child and have a proper funeral and burial.

I'm just asking out of curiosity. I still think this is a great charity. Please don't take my question the wrong way.

Usually, the nursing staff washes and dresses the baby for the parents. This ministry means that they have a dress or suit that fits the little one. It makes a better image for the parents to keep in their hearts.

...and I have never heard that a funeral home supplies clothing: is that usual in the US?

Usually, the nursing staff washes and dresses the baby for the parents. This ministry means that they have a dress or suit that fits the little one. It makes a better image for the parents to keep in their hearts.

...and I have never heard that a funeral home supplies clothing: is that usual in the US?

I'm in the US, and I've never heard of a funeral home supplying the clothing...

it's almost always something that belonged to that person in life. (but my experience is somewhat limited.) In funeral homes for some faiths, there is a special shroud that seems to be "one size fits nobody". I don't know how common that is.

Newborns in Need is an organization that takes preemie caps, preemie blankets and burial gowns for newborns and gives them to hospitals. Sometimes when a baby dies the parents need a gown for the baby. I believe the site is http://www.newbornsinneed.org they have patterns for all of these items, and I was able to find a chapter closer to my home so my items go to local hospitals.

Archived