Susan Bates

To make a long story short, I don't like them, the thread hooks. I find them harder to work with, and,,,oddly,,,easier to break. I had a complete set until my size 7 busted, right in the nip of the hook. What a, I gonna do with the rest of these hooks? I won't use them. I don't think I could sell them, since the set is one less hook now.

I agree, I don't like SB hooks, I use only Boye's....isn't it funny those who like one brand don't like the other.....I wonder if it is what we learned on??? It has been about 40 years since I learned, can't remember what brand I used back then...LOL You could try ebay, or just donate them..

I love my SB hooks and I learned on a Boye (23 years ago and I still have that hook!) I can crochet faster with SB hooks for some reason.

If I was you, I'd just post them for sale on here.

I love Susan Bates hooks. They work much better for me than the Boye hooks. The Boye hooks feel awkward and whenever I've tried to crochet with them, the yarn is more apt to split. Also, I haven't ever had a Susan Bates hook break on me. But then, I don't use the plastic ones, so that's probably why. lol.

I am not fond of the SB hooks either for yarn or thread the tip is not the same as Boye and actually they are "numbered" differently in mm than Boye, I found this out because I have a few SB mixed in with my Boye thread hooks and the 7 is a different mm in each brand.

I'm another fan of Boye hooks. I gave all of my SB's to a co-worker, she's such a great crocheter that it doesn't matter which brand of hook she uses.

You could donate them, but I would definitely mention that there is no #7. Or check the wish lists and do a RAOK.

i was working on an afghan with a boye and had trouble with the yarn splitting. i was sitting at the hospital with my dad and his nurse told me to get a susan bates hook. it worked! no more splitting. i've used them ever since.

I'm glad I still have my old hooks from the 70s. I only use hooks that are made in the USA.. I've never had any problems with them and they're like new.

Some can't tell the difference but if you've been crocheting as long as I have, you can tell the difference..

I'd look on ebay or somewhere for the older ones that were made here. Ask around if someone has some spares they'd like to sell...They're worth every penny.

About a year or so ago, I bought some hooks.They were terrible..and I threw them in the garbage. That's where they belong.

Many apologies for the late posting in this thread. I have had issues at home, and avoided the putr. Anyway, on the hooks, :ty y'all, for all of the responses. I learned on a Boye yarn hook, so I've never tried a SB yarn hook. The SB hooks I have are all thread. I think I will save the hooks and use them in exchanges, or maybe RAOKs.

hmm, i dont really buy my hooks in a set. does everybody else? i like plastic anyway, and you really have to look hard to get the really small gauges. i still need a D and an F and i'll have them all in plastic. lol! once i get them all, i'm going to find someone who wants my aluminum. i really loathe aluminum! it always splits the yarn.

To make a long story short, I don't like them, the thread hooks. I find them harder to work with, and,,,oddly,,,easier to break. I had a complete set until my size 7 busted, right in the nip of the hook. What a, I gonna do with the rest of these hooks? I won't use them. I don't think I could sell them, since the set is one less hook now.

If you know of a church with a prayer shawl ministry you could donate the hooks to them. I much prefer wooden hooks and am replacing all of my Susan Bates.

Archived