Gift-along

Guest SamplerLady

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was doing so well with the gift along.. but got really slack with birthdays and hit or miss gifts.. so I used my Christmas gifts as birthday gifts.... back to square one! I am going to finish my aunts hat and scarf this week!

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update my progress and ask if anyone else has made any (progress that is?) :D I just checked Kari's blog (bc she has a countdown there and I don't have to do the math) and there are only 253 days left till The big "C" word, not to mention other gift giving days before then, so how ya'll doin'??

I updated my original post with my FO's, I'll be putting those in red text to make them easier to see. I did the brown striped blanket as a b-day gift for one of the people on my list and will deliiver it while I'm staying at their house in 9 days. I also completed two ponchos for the little girls in the same household. I made a pair of barefoot sandals for my best friend. I made some dishcloths and a soap apron which I'd intended for my MIL but I gifted them to a neighbor this afternoon, so since they were given as a gift I felt I could still count them, even if they aren't for someone on the list rofl.

I have a few small things in the works (mentally at least) that I will be working on over the next nine days, during the 13 hour flight to the states, and over the two weeks I will be there... these will be other b-day gifts that I can deliver while there also. Granted, they'll all be early gifts *g* but at least they'll get them rofl. If I accomplish this goal, almost all the bday's will be completed and I can then focus on Yule gifts for the rest of the year =) (Of course I know good and well I probably won't get much crocheting done while I am physically in the States so my goal is already shot ;) but I can try rofl)

I have been horrible about spending "me" time doing my favorite thing which is crochet this past week... but this week I am not going to be a slave to everything around me and I am going to get a few book thongs done at least AND the fringe on an afghan that goes to our fav park ranger at the lake...I'm an afghan, a purse and a couple other projects behind for Christmas.. not to mention I have no idea what to make my mom.. she is a knitter so possible some fancy stich markers and handmade knitting needles ( at least the tops if I can figure out how...

I am marking my calendar now so I feel I have some sort of goal I have to achieve this week...!

Lea

• 2 weeks later...

Yep you're right I backburnered it! Well, the thread anyway.

Let's see, I'm working along on my DD1's Christmas gift (afghan). That is going OK.

I've decided what to make for DS2's Christmas gift - or rather what colors. I've changed my mind from doing just yellow, orange, and red to making a "rainbow" with the 7 colors. I'm thinking of doing a ribbed ripple. I have the first three colors (red, orange, yellow) already, and perhaps the green I need, so just need to get 3 more or 4 if I want to include indigo.

I haven't started DS1's afghan yet as I would like to finish one of the above first.

I've made only one snowflake out of many needed for Sunday school teachers, helpers and youth leaders.

Haven't started on hat and scarf I am thinking about for my Dad for Christmas. If I do him something I ought to do something for my mother too.

**I did complete the wrist bag for my cousin.** So at least I've done something!

Can I join in? I have so much piling up because of my shoulder, and I'd love to be able to keep track on here and get ideas too. Fortunately almost all my birthdays are in the spring and summer, so I'll have a few extra months to play catch-up!

color code - birthday, christmas, special occasion, finished

January-

-Jack Jr (future stepson age 11) - J pillow, hat

-Christine (SIL) - halcyon shawl (blue skies), afghan - (light/med blue? blue/purple?)

February-

-Evan (FSS age 4) - E pillow, mittens

-Brian (bro) - afghan - dark/med blue *already half done*

-Rob (friend, future BIL) - scarf (purple)

March-

-Ally (FSD - age 2) - mini wrist bag

April-

-Kat (FSD age 10) - wrist bag, K pillow

May- catch-up

June-

-Tim (FSS age ~6) - hat, T pillow

-Michelle (future niece) - romper - (mango/high energy) *scratch, find a new project for yarn*, baby set - (green/variegated pastel) *mostly done*, afghan - (purple/pink) *started*, winter coat (blue, white) *must find blue denimy yarn*

July-

-Dave (FSS age ~8) - hat, D pillow

-Dad - klein bottle hat (Aggie colors) *started*

August-

-Matt (my boy :D) - afghan (cobalt), hat and scarf (blue/green)

September-

October-

November-

December-

-Mom

Thanks Marvie! I think the wristbag thing is a good idea, like you said. Unfortunately the poor baby doesn't have her mama around to copy, and I'm afraid that by now she may not even remember her. There are plenty of older cousins and aunts though, so it still works. :)

*Note to self - figure out colors for the kidlets*

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anne =) Glad you joined in =)

I think the wrist bag is a good idea for a 2-3 yr old girl. That's about the age they start wanting to carry a purse like mommy, and it's a way they can carry along something to occupy them in the car etc. Another thought might be a sort of car seat caddy, something that can hang off the side to hold some books, toys etc. I'm thinking something along the lines of this one, modified a bit http://www.crochetpartners.org/Patterns/CPpat222.html I've seen another one someplace that goes under the seat cushion of the couch, which is more what I was thinking but this one was all I could find with a quick peek in my bookmarks. You could make it so that it went under the seat cover of the carseat/booster seat and hang down on each side with pockets. Maybe add some flowers to the pockets or something to "girlify" it ;)

I didn't see this post originally, but I've been slowly plugging along at my Christmas gifts and birthday gifts.

Jan: got niece's birthday (Feb.) scarf made and mailed, then made one for her brother just 'cos he's doing so well in high school (N=2)

Feb: made scarves for mom, sis and her hubby for Xmas (N=3)

Mar: began work on sis's xmas or birthday ghan (her birthday is just a couple of days before Xmas)

Apr: still worked on sis' ghan

May: almost done with sis' ghan! made small bag for friend's birthday (will stuff w/ smelly good things; giving it to her this weekend)

May and June: want to finish off sis's ghan; then work on another friend's birthday present--fulled purse--due in early July; and bookmarks for the swap

upcoming summer and fall projects: beautiful jackets from Oat Couture for my sisters for Xmas, if I can get that good at this crocheting; more fulled purses for sisters, niece, and female friends for Xmas; hat for bil for Xmas to match scarf; possibly ditto for nephew, and/or another scarf in his high school colors; scarf for another sis

ultimate project: beautiful shrug for friend but that I have to have lots o' experience before I try

Hmm, that should keep me out of trouble for a while! :P

Patty

To be honest, I haven't posted my Christmas List here because it's too darn big and I'm almost embarrassed by the length of it! I do have a list....and ideas what to make for everyone on it....and I have started 1 item on the list but the swaps keep taking priority. I have to quit signing up for swaps!!!! Currently I am part of 7 swaps (Summer Scarf (done/mailed), Kitchen/Bath, Summer Secret Pal, State Squares, Bookmark, Sea Yarn Swap, and Tea Swap (although I have no idea what's going on with this one since it was moved). But they are so much more fun than working on things that won't be appreciated for months to come. I'm not one much on 'delayed gratification' as my hubby can attest! :blush

Well, so far I've gotten both of the Mother's Day gifts I wanted to make done...otherwise, all I have is this long list, and not enough time in the world :)

What a great CAL! Count me in on this one!

Here is my current plan of attack for Christmas:

SCARVES

May - October 1 knitted or crocheted fun fur scarf per month for my 3 neices, 2 sisters and 1 aunt (I detest fun fur so this will be a challenge for me)

AFGHANS

May/June - Grandma'ghan #1

July/Aug - Grandma'ghan #2

Sept/Oct - Step-Grandma'ghan #3

Nov/Dec - Daddy'ghan

Off-times - Dolly blankets to give to my neices with their Cabbage Patch kids (I bought the CPKs in March! Started my shopping way ahead this year!)

I think that covers the list for right now - its really hard to decide what to make for family and friends since I live so far away and am not ever really sure what they could use / really appreciate!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not any further along with my snowflakes for the Sunday school folks.

I'm still at the beginning color of my rainbow ripple for DS2.

I've had a major setback with the afghan for my older daughter. From about a sixth done down to zero. I decided the colors just wouldn't work.

I'm going to order some yarn soon so I can re-start her afghan, and also yarn for the other two children's afghans so I can start them.

I did get a dishcloth and two coasters done for my parents (not for any specific date) . Egad, it's their anniversary soon; better get a card!

I'm not feeling that I've progressed very much at all.

I've added a project - an afghan for a man in our church who has cancer. So that is kind of on the front burner right now, but even with that I am having to wait for some yarn I ordered from here (UK).

• 1 month later...

Count me in! This year I will make history and actually complete at least 1 of my gift projects and save myself the last minute gift shopping. :lol

My Gift List

1. Scarf & Hat set for Paula
  2. Barbie Wardrobe & Designer Gown for DD
  3. Pillowghan for sister
  4. Sweater for DD

• 3 weeks later...

Hey ya'll, how you doin' on your lists? :P I updated mine today with a few FO's and made some changes. Sitting down in a few minutes with my stash, going to pull out yarns for things, make a list of what I need to buy (yay, yarn shopping!) and find some sort of place where I can put the yarns designated for the list (so I don't use them on something else without thinking about it!)

I didn't add it to my list, but I think I am also going to give everyone a set of tree decos. At this point I have 12 gifts left to make, so adding that makes 24 sets of things to make and only ..... 142 days till Christmas!

We better get BUSY folks!!!! :hook

Only 142 days!!! OMG ... Time to get busy. Ok, here's mine:

1. T&Q Chenille Afghan for best friend

2. Fisherman Afghan for Mom

3. Snowflake Afghan for fiance

4. Camo Hat & Scarf for nephew

5. ?? for my daughter ... something wearable.

6. Critter slippers for my grandson

7. A sweater for my grandson

8. Socks for my sister the knitter, to prove that you CAN crochet socks ;)

9. Hat & scarf for my son

Ok - here's my Christmas gift list:

Afghan for Dad

Something for Step Mom

Shrug or Poncho and matching hat for Sis (6yo)

Afghans for kids (3)

Something for DH???

tiny totes and hats for my neices & nephew (4 total)

Throw for MIL

Hmm - I think that's it.

I do have DH's birthday & anniversary coming up in Sept, but I've already

made his anniversary gift. :D

So few days so many things to make...

:ctree Poncho for friend

:ctree Hat and scarf for postman

:ctree hat and scarf for postman's wife

:ctree Hat and scarf for other postman

:ctree Blanket for neighbors

:ctree Hat and scarf for friend

:ctree Hat and scarf for friend's girlfriend

:ctree Tote for friend--Done

:ctree Hat and scarf for another friend

:ctree Purse for another friend--Done

:ctree Hat and scarf for another friend

:ctree Stocking for my pup

:ctree Socks for hubby

:ctree Blanket for hubby

:ctree At least 10 hat and scarf sets for Warm the World

• 1 month later...

Well I am not doing well at all. I still would like to do the 3 afghans for my 3 oldest kids but I'm not sure I'll manage by Christmas. I think I'll have to skip the SS teachers' snowflakes, especially as one of my kids has been "promoted" so I would have extra teachers to make for. I still might do a few for some special people at church.

I've changed my daughter's afghan to a mile-a-minute pattern because the ripple I was doing is a bit too involved (it's not too hard, just that I have so little time now) and I couldn't get the colors right.

color code - birthday, christmas, special occasion, finished

January-

-Jack Jr (future stepson age 11) - J pillow, hat

-Christine (SIL) - halcyon shawl (blue skies), afghan - (light/med blue? blue/purple?)

February-

-Evan (FSS age 4) - E pillow, hat

-Brian (bro) - afghan - dark/med blue *already half done*

-Rob (friend, future BIL) - scarf

March-

-Ally (FSD - age 2) - A pillow, hat

April-

-Kat (FSD age 10) - wrist bag, K pillow

May- catch-up

June-

-Tim (FSS age ~6) - hat, T pillow

-Michelle (future niece) - baby set - (green/variegated pastel) *mostly done*

July-

-Dave (FSS age ~8) - hat, D pillow

August-

-Matt (my boy :D) - blankets, scarf (blue/green)

September-

October-

November-

December-

Must finish pillows (all half done but Tim's, gotta redo it) and hats... plus scarves for Rob and Matt

I have the yarn for everything, it's just a matter of the time and energy!

I'm going slightly mad :confused

Oh my word - I am so off schedule! Some of the things are just going to come off my calendar because they have passed or I did something else. I think I've nixed the 63 squares afghan for my dad - I'm just not up for making something that I'm going to have to think so much about, lol.

I'm just taking the things off that are done or no longer relavent.

January

kid blanket (Ryan) (almost done, he'll get it next week)

February

filet crochet afghan (wedding gift - Chad & Cilla) (eek - this is still not done! - about 60-70% done)

March

afghan, dd (xmas)

May

afghan, ds1 (xmas) (about 25% done)

baby doll (Jenn/Curt) - not started

June

afghan, ds2 (xmas)

kid blanket (xmas - clayton - q hook)

July

kid blanket (Alex, xmas)

August

kid blankets (2 xmas - gregory & abby)

September

afghan ds 3 (xmas)

October

DH - green throw for den - have yarn

November & December -

teacher gifts

hats/scarves

exchange gifts (family) - have a couple of scarves done

gift for dh's boss & his wife

Blech. I need to update it further but I'm really depressed now, I'm SO behind!

Archived