Favourite Crochet Tip

What is your favourite crochet tip? Mine is the Russian Join. I joined Crochetville a few years ago because I had a UK book and learned to crochet in Canada (as a child) using U.S. terminology and what I was making was not turning out...lol. I also like the tip of using a larger hook or finer yarn to make things have more drape.

What are some of your favourite tips?

Rachel

One thing that I figured out...

I have a horrible time doing Front Post stitches because I can never figure out quite where to put the hook after the stitch. I always end up putting it behind the post stitch by mistake--especially if I've done several post stitches and I've lost track of where to put the hook in next. It gets even more confusing when you have to cross in front of or in back of a post stitch...

So, nowadays, I take safety pins and mark all the places in a row where my hook is going to need to go for a regular stitch AFTER a post stitch. It makes things so much easier!

Good thread. Mine's somewhat simple: It dosn't matter what you want to make or how it turns out as long as you have fun.

I think people take things waaaay too seriously these days. This is my hobby, so it should be fun. Even work should have some aspect of fun...

(I also like most of these other tips...)

when making small units like a finger puppet or a change purse I measure the yarn. I then have a rough estimate of the amount needed.....great for bits and pieces. I also break down large projects like an afghan, into manageable 'work lots' I don't plan on the whole afghan.....today I will make six squares and tomorrow, until I have all the squares needed, so that I'm not overwhelmed and give up ------and I write everything down, especially if I figure a new way to work a pattern.

these are all great tips--never thought about using wax paper to slick up the hooks-my plastic ones can get squeaky and won't slide right now I know how to fix that little problem--thanks---I agree with Addy, you just got to have fun with it the way I look at it is that your making a one of a kind object so it shouldn't be like everone elses it's unique just like you! The frist bearaghan I made I gave to a good friend of mine that had just had a beautiful baby girl. Well I thought I knew what I was doing but when it came to his nose I really made it wrong and then when I sewed it on it turned out crooked and I didn't relize it till I gave it to her. But you know what she absolutly loved it -- I offered to fix the nose but she said that she loved it just the way it was and didn't want it fixed. Anyway in my own rambling way I'm saying have fun and remember that what your are creating is your own special object and no two will ever be alike--thats the wonderful part of it to me.100_0506.jpgthis is my crooked nosed bear! noitice the fact that the nose is made totally wrong!:rofl

His nose wasn't wrong, he was just made extra special. It's a beautiful blanket and your friend loved it, those are the only two important parts.

My favorite tip is not to crochet if you have child that gets extra snuggly whenever they're sick. My youngest DD thinks she has to be glued to me while she's sick which can make some difficult crochet moments while watching cartoons.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I actually have more than one WIP deliberately. I tend to get bored easily with big projects like afghans. My hands get sore working on thread projects and single crochet yarn projects. So, I mix them up and rotate what I'm working on. Everything is in its own box or bag with the hook and pattern so that I don't wonder whether I was using an H or an I hook or where that pattern went.

Yes, I do that too. I also make sure I don't have WIPs all the same, for example all afghans. I have small and large projects and try to do something for me to make me feel better.

I also use a tip I got from somewhere which is when doing granny squares with different colours or just when you have to break the yarn somewhere to just do that one section over and over. I am making a blushing granny afghan and the first 3 rounds are one colour. I am just doing a bunch of squares with just the first three rounds and have it practically memorized so it is so simple. It seems so fast too.

I agree with the comment about remembering it is your hobby. I was feeling so guilty about not doing a lot of charity crochet. Then I realized that I shouldn't because I am making stuff for my own family which really should be my first priority. Crocheting shouldn't be a chore.

Rachel

1. Don't be afraid to try something new.

2. Ask for help, when stuck on a project, direction, etc.

3. Have fun. That's the most important tip.

:manyheart

This is a great thread, and I love all the tips so far! A couple things on my mind lately are 1)swatching is never a waste of time, and 2) ripping out is not a bad thing:lol Oh yeah, my #3 would be the foundation double crochet--I just learned it, using the guide in the current issue of Interweave Crochet, and I think it will be very useful. Looking forward to seeing the next tips!

Kathy

if you take a small project with you, carry nailclippers instead of scissors in your purse. they save space, and you wont get stabbed.

i'm working on a queen size bedspread of 6" squares, so i always take a small ball of yarn and work on a square while i wait in the car for my daughter to get out of school, or for anything really. instead of taking my scissors, i just use nailclippers.

also, i learned today, wear a bandaid on your finger so that you dont get yarn burn. (i thought that was a swell idea!)

The russian join is a way for joining yarn so you don't have to weave in ends later. It works best with yarn of the same colour or when it doesn't matter where the colour change takes place. It doesn't work on all yarns like chenille and eyelash but for "regular" yarn it is great.

Rachel

These are all wonderful tips. I would have never thought of using wax paper for that purpose. My one tip that I try to remember myself is don't worry so much about what others might think of your work. What might not look perfect to you will somehow please the other person.

I love the russian join! And the next best thing I've learned through here is how to finish up a granny square so you don't have the ugly, awkward slip stitch spoiling the finish.

I've also read here about using dryer sheets on your hooks to facilitate even yarn movement, and I tried it on a large hook project. Worked well. Usually don't need it when I use my Clover hooks, though.

Ruth

Great thread and great tips.

One thing I always do is write on the top of my page what hook I choose to use when I did a swatch. Then when I come back or make another one years later, I know exactly what I used.

Great Tips! I use one of those coupon cutters, A plastic thing with a blade in side for cutting out coupons , for cutting my yarn. lots of places give them out as adveritsing gimics. It works great and i keep one in my purse that I actually use for coupons as well.

Archived