Flanders Fields changed a bit-8 inch square

darski

Flanders Fields Afghan (square – 8 inches)

I am posting this now so that any Canucks who wish to use this square for Bless a Vet month in the Charity Blitz may do so.

post-4896-0-06758200-1406564881_thumb.jpg

I used a 6 mm hook and WW yarn in black, White and Red.

Centre, with black chain 4 and join to form a ring
Row 1: 12 hdc into ring and join. Ch 1

Row 2a. sc in same stitch, ch 4, *sc in 3rd hdc, ch4 * around end by joining to 1st sc with sl st-four chain 4 loops formed

Row 2b: work sc in next hdc, ch 5, *sc in 3rd hdc, ch 5* join to 1st sc and break off. – four ch 5 loops formed.

ff2.jpg
Pic of the back of the square showing background stitches

Work background with white…
Row 1: Attach white in centre of chain 5 loop, ch 3, work 3 more dc in loop. Work 8 dc into next three ch 5 loops, work 4 more dc in beginning loop. Join and turn, sl st into next stitch and turn again. – 32 dc A suggestion here... instead of "ch 3, work 3 more dc in loop", you can change that to ch 3, work 4 more dc in loop and then work only 3 more dc when you come back around. it makes it easier to start your next row without that whole mess happening with "Join and turn, sl st into next stitch and turn again."

Row 2: ch 5, 3dc in next dc, *dc in next 6 dc, 3dc in next, ch 2 3dc in next* repeat around end with 2 more dc worked in same st as ch 5. join in 3rd chain of ch 5.

Row 3: sl st to ch 2 space. Ch 5, 2dc in same space, *sk 1 st, V-st in next st, [sk 2 sts, V-st in next st] three times, (2dc, ch 2, 2dc) Shell in corner, *repeat around and end with one more dc in original ch 2 space, join in 3rd ch of 5.

Row 4: sl st into ch 2 space. Ch 5, 2dc in same space, *ch 1, V-st in every V-st ch 1, (2dc, ch 2, 2dc) shell in corner* repeat around and end with 1 dc in original ch 2 space. join in 3rd ch of 5.

Row 5. Work corner shells in every corner and a dc in every dc and ch 1 space around. Break off white.

Attach red in any chain 4 loop work sc, hdc, 3dc, 5 trc, 3dc, hdc, sc in every loop. Join to first sc and break off red. Tidy all ends.

ff3.jpg

Because this is for the Vets and I am going through my local Legion Branch. I am going to make the border in Navy and Gold. Haven’t gotten there yet though. I will most likely use a variety of reds to make the poppies as well.

I am planning to put the squares together with the black as in a black (arm)band. It will also set the squares IYKWIM

Copyright: Darlene Cutler - 2007

ff4.jpg

The first two squares –testing

very nice Darski. There is a huge poppy sale by the veterans in the US also for Memorial Day where they sell some that you attach to something so it would be very appropriate here also

It is for anyone who wants to use it. I didn't realize that Americans used the poppy too. Go for it!

:think please do not think I was being rude :blush :blush It was ment as a compliment:yes

:think please do not think I was being rude :blush :blush It was ment as a compliment:yes

Oh no, not in the least. I was just glad to hear that information.

it is even better if everyone can use it and support our Vets.

• 2 weeks later...
Darski and others:

I am not sure if any of you are aware of why the Vets use the poppy as their symbol, but it stems from this poem, one of the most beloved poems about the sacrifices soldiers make for freedom:

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/poems/inflanders.htm

There is a bit about the poem's history at the bottom as well.

:D

I can still recite the poem by heart and Col john McCRae is one of my heroes for the fact that he immortalized the giving of the soldiers in the "War to End All Wars".

When he says, "Take up our quarrel with the foe, to you from failing hands we throw the torch...." I believe that torch has come to each of us and we have to stand against evil just as those men did with all they had. That is why our Vets deserve our best and our gratitude.

Darski, Thank you for all you share with us at Crochetville. This square means a lot to me especially since my Dad is a Veteran. Thankfully my Dad is a living Veteran.

Darski, Thank you for all you share with us at Crochetville. This square means a lot to me especially since my Dad is a Veteran. Thankfully my Dad is a living Veteran.

I second what froggy said because my dad is now 82 and was a Navy Seabee during WWII.

it makes me so happy that this square - which really did come from my heart of love - will be a blessing to Vets and to their families who appreciate what servicemen and women do.

it would be nice if a lot of lapghans and afghans found their way into VA hospitals around the world.

I think this may be an ongoing project for me now. I have a son in Toronto who could find his way to Sunnybrook hospital.

Thank you so much for this square. like many here my Dad was a vet. Unfortunately he is no longer here, but I do remember him and purchase a poppy when I see the vets with them.:hook

I designed this using the V for Victory stitches and I really like how it looks but it might be a bit subtle. I have been thinking of designing a square with a cross as a background or designing an alternate square that would be white crosses.

The alternate square would demonstrate the line "between the crosses, row on row". What would y'all think of this change and which would likely work best?

This would have to be for my next one as this one has a deadline.

OOOH, Darski - I LOVE that symbolism. Perhaps you could make the poppy square smaller (unfortunately, we all know how tedious smaller squares can be) and then have cross squares to surround each poppy square? This is a beautiful symbol....

It may be to much or an alternate square, but how about a cross made of poppies. If not, a white cross for the next square would really be great.:hook

yeah, I am liking that idea too when I think about it.

Archived