Van Gogh's Closet

JulieKay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know, I don't think this Afghan wants to stay wrapped. Everytime that I move the package (I'm pretty sure it's the one that contains the afghan), a bit of the wrapping paper rips since the contents are so soft and give. I'm being good and not peeking to confirm my suspicions, though I couldn't help but feel crocheted yarn on the last move. Luckily I only have to be good for a couple more days, and most of out gifts have been wrapped and put out!!!

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Not to worry. Sarge is safe and sound here in Georgia. And so is Trouble. Although Trouble is the one that kept walking all over the wrapping paper and sitting on it, too. I think she wanted to see what snow and ice look like. :rofl

Just two more days of waiting. :hug

I finally got to open the Round Ripple from mother this morning. It was gorgeous as the picture showed to be (and I actually did share it with the hubby). It also did an excellant job of explaining why my Round Ripple ended up so much smaller than expected. Apparently I crochet much tighter than most, at least more so than my mother. My double stitches are only one half to two thirds the size of the one's in the Round Ripple sent to me by my mother.

I think you're a candidate for a bigger hook - like me in many cases!

Enjoy your blankie:c9

I'm already using the largest hook that I own! It's a size K. Only thing larger that I've found in stores is a plastic hook that doesn't look very user friendly. Funny thing is that I actually LIKE my smaller stitches, it's just frusterating that it'll take a bunch of extra rounds to get it to a reasonable size.

I thought the larger hooks were only available in plastic, as well, but I just purchased a Susan Bates Bamboo Handle/Aluminum Head Crochet Hook from Joann.com. The handle is bamboo but the shaft is aluminum. Sizes range from H - N. Here's where I found it.

I wanted to try something with a larger handle, since my fingers stiffen up after awhile. I haven't tried it yet - just got it in the mail - but this looks like it will do the trick.

I thought i'de jump in here because i'm nosey. :blush I have an N hook that is all aluminum by boye (I got it at walmart for a dollar something), it is the biggest i've found that isn't plastic. And I know that you all find the bigger ones more comfy but I just recently started using the bigger ones like a P & a Q. I found that they really hurt. Maybe it was because I really over did myself & had to rush due to the holidays but my arm muscles were really tender & my fingers hurt the whole time. My wrist wasn't too bad but it just didn't feel too goog to me. I'm going to give it another go on something relaxing & take my time to see how it feels so I hope it isn't painful. :hook

jumping in and being nosy as well. :) I just finished a blended rr, (2 strand) I used an N, metal boye hook also purchased from wal-mart. I love the look of the ghan, love how warm it is. But it hurt to stitch. My fingers had a time with that one. Now I notice something else, working on a spiderman rr now, and using a much smaller hook, an I it feels like using a steel hook after working with such a big one. I didn't start this one until last night because every time I picked up the hook it just felt awkward. I am using it now, but its gonna take some time to get used to I suppose. I finished the blended on Saturday.

I'm already using the largest hook that I own! It's a size K. Only thing larger that I've found in stores is a plastic hook that doesn't look very user friendly. Funny thing is that I actually LIKE my smaller stitches, it's just frusterating that it'll take a bunch of extra rounds to get it to a reasonable size.

Joy it may not be your tension that is at fault. All my round ripples were made using a P hook. The one I use is plastic and it was giving my fingers and wrist a time until my neighbor used one of his tools and made a thumb and finger groove on it for me. Where I hold it is now about a third of the diameter of the hook and is much more user friendly. Your Dremel tool should do the job in no time at all, Joy. Glad you like the RR. That's really nice of you to share it with Joe. :manyheart

About hooks:

I had used Boye-styled hooks since I started crocheting, but a few years ago, someone gave me a Susan Bates hook, and I will NEVER use a Boye-styled hook again, if possible.

The difference, in case you don't have experience with both, is that the Susan Bates hooks are "inline" hooks, versus Boye's "not inline" :)

The inline style (to me, at least) is more comfortable, less tiring and works much better with those "fancy" yarns (fun fur and the like).

This is all my experience and preference, so your mileage may vary.

Here's a pic of the difference:

inline.jpg

If the pic doesn't work, check this page: http://www.karpstyles.com/crochet/Types-of-hook.html

I also have an N hook in metal that I got cheap somewhere.

Tabby I know what you mean about the P and the Q hooks I tried to do a blended RR with a P hook and ended up not hacking it lol, I went to an N hook. I am gonna try again with the bigger hook but I too felt like my hand was bruised on the inside and it felt awkward to use. I was doing alot of crocheting to have everything done by xmas so that may have been a factor in the situation.

Here is my first blended rr, I love how it turned out will be doing this one again, even though it took my fingers a while to recover from that "n" hook.

?action=view&current=DSCN3888.jpg

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p122/mva5493/?action=view&current=DSCN3888.jpg

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p122/mva5493/?action=view&current=DSCN3962.jpg

Thank you to everyone for the nice comments, this was my first blended but I was very pleased with the way it turned out, it won't be the last. It reminds me of hot chocolate.:)

Archived