Van Gogh's Closet

JulieKay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:yay:yay Happy New Year!!! :yay:yay

I am still working on my 3SURR, it's out to about row 29 or 30 now. Not sure how much bigger I'll be going. To the end of this skein of variegated and maybe one more. We'll see.

wow those are some pretty blended rr's everybody.

Gene I've wanted to try one of those bamboo with the alum shaft.

I haven't done any blended stuff in a long time it might be about time to do another one. hmmm :think

Oh my gosh! I made three afghans for Christmas presents in the Van Gogh blended style and just realized I didn't take any pictures of them to share.

Oh well, thanks for introducing me to this method, they were all well-received.

Heather - I just started using the bamboo-handled hooks, and I think I'm hooked. My fingers are stiffer in the morning, and these hooks are very comfortable. I found a complete set of 8 (G - N) at Herrschners web site for only $12.97 plus shipping. Individually they're over $2 each, so I though it was a good deal and got a set. Don't have the complete set yet, but I'm using two (J and N) that I ordered individually.

Well, it's finally done except for weaving in all the tails. It's blended but not in the usual way. Done with 3 strands, a P hook, and whatever color yarn happened to strike my fancy when one ran out. The only consistent thing about it, is that one strand on the 3 was always a variegated one. Never the same variegated color, but a variegated color. It was fun and it's warm and I get to keep this one for me.

DCP_1316.jpg

Wow. That turned out really stunning! :clap

Now repeat after me "It's mine. I'm keeping it. It doesn't matter how many people admire it, I'm keeping it for me." :lol

After all we can't risk that one growing legs and walking off when it's so perfect for keeping you warm!

Yup! This one is all mine! It's heavy and it's warm and it MINE!!! :lol :lol :lol

• 1 month later...

Looking at this thread I realized the rr I just made for my parents is what you all are talking about - as least I think so....It was so much fun to make AND used up a bunch of stash :cheer

th_IMG_0432.jpg

th_IMG_0434.jpg

Funny thing is my Dad likes it so much he will not sit on it. He moves it if he wants to sit on the bed :)

Looking at this thread I realized the rr I just made for my parents is what you all are talking about - as least I think so....It was so much fun to make AND used up a bunch of stash :cheer

th_IMG_0432.jpg

th_IMG_0434.jpg

Funny thing is my Dad likes it so much he will not sit on it. He moves it if he wants to sit on the bed

Looks like a VanGogh to me! Pretty!!

Deborah, that is definately a Van Gogh and a very pretty one indeed. That's funny about your dad not sitting on it. They are very sturdy. Great job! :yay:clap:yay

Deborah, that is definately a Van Gogh and a very pretty one indeed. That's funny about your dad not sitting on it. They are very sturdy. Great job! :yay:clap:yay

Thanks!

I know they are sturdy (and washable) - the funny part is then he sits on the quilt underneath - which is harder to wash. I've told him it's okay to sit on but...... :D

• 1 month later...

I'm itching to do a blended RR again - may use the baby yarn I have since I have little patience for the F hook I need to use for it:blush

Just sharing my latest rr which is sort of Van Gogh and sort of not... I used two strands of Joann Sensation, Rainbow Boucle in the white/pink color and off set the colors a bit (didn't match the ends color to color when I started) so it is kinda a van gogh.

DSCF0459-1.jpg

DSCF0458-1.jpg

stormdrac - Love the look..... bet that would work with most varigated yarns.

Oh no, another WIM.

How many skeins did you use total?

I still have almost half of the two skeins (half each) that I worked from. So I could make another one, this afghan is only about 34-36" wide. So I could be larger but I had to finish it off for my daughter to give to a classmate who is preg...(senior in High School!!!!)

I spent most of yesterday hiding tails. I really really hate hiding tails and those diamond inserts sure do create a lot of them. I've got three of the final rounds done and about half of the tails from the diamond inserts hidden.

Of course I'm back to work today, so I won't be making progress nearly as quickly as I was during my mini vacation. I was supposed to go on a quilt retreat this last weekend, but "lucky" me got my name drawn for the waitlist since we had more registered by the deadline than there were spots. No last minute cancellations, so I didn't get to go. :sigh I went ahead and kept most of the time off that I'd requested "just in case" and just got a few things done around the house and relaxed instead. I stopped by the Retreat on Sunday just in time for their show and tell, so I got to see all the lovely things that everyone worked on. Thankfully a new policy has been implemented, so as long as I get my registration in by the deadline I'll be exempt from the waitlist for the Fall Retreat rather than risking having my name drawn for the 4th time in a row! I told you I was "lucky". The previous two times I was able to go because someone did cancel at the last minute, so this was the first one I actually had to miss out on.

Anyway. That work stuff. Later!

Sorry you didn't get to go on your retreat this time, Joy. Sounds like you had a good time anyway. We all need an occasional break to recharge our batteries. How soon can you register for the fall retreat? Be the first one and you'll finally get a spot.

Michele,

Your afghan is simply breathtaking. :manyheart What size hook did you use with the 2 strands of Jo Ann's Sensations Boucle yarn? Just wondering. Thanks!

I think I used a K hook (I usually do). I will go home and look at my notes tonight after work and confirm.

Archived