Have you ever bought a crocheted afghan or blanket after you learned to crochet?

Have you ever purchased a crocheted afghan or blanket after you learned to crochet?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever purchased a crocheted afghan or blanket after you learned to crochet?

• Yes.
    • No.

I'm just dying to know. It seems contradictory that we, as crocheters, would buy items that someone else crocheted, especially when we could do it ourselves. Yet, it seems we all appreciate the work that goes into them or just love to collect them, so pick them up at auctions, yard sales, thrift stores, etc. So, I thought I'd do a poll to see how many of us are guilty of the quick fix. :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My neighbor was selling an old one in a yard sale, technically I think she threw it in the stuff I bought for like $1...but I loved the green ripples. Now it is at my chiropractors office. I took it in for the days my toes get cold while I'm on the water table getting therapy, and left it for anyone chilly to enjoy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I bought a set of placemats at a craft fair. But I justified it by saying that they weren't something I would have time to do...

I haven't bought any yet but I was watching the bidding for one on ebay, had to go out and run some errands and when I got back the bidding had ended, it was a very pretty granny square. I look at them all the time when we go anywhere that would have craft items.

I've bought a couple of baby blankets at a sale that were only a dollar each. They were beautiful and I know someone put a lot of time and love into them, so I just couldn't pass them up.

I sell my crocheting for a living. I get quite a few older people who know how to crochet but have arthritis or some other debilitating condition that does not allow them to do it anymore. When they buy my things, it makes me feel really good, because they know how much work goes into them and the quality.

Glenda

i have purchased a few baby afghan, on large afghan, a few baby dresses and sweaters from other crocheters.i have done this when i do not have the time to personally make the item, the designer only makes the pieces to sell and the pattern is not available and when it is just to cute to pass up. i rather to give handmade even if not by my hands.

nadine

I actually bought one from ebay so that I could try to figure it out. It hasn't worked out though. I just had to have it, because it looked just like the one my grandmother had made for me, except using a smaller yarn and hook. It isn't soft either so I wouldn't like using it. But the cat loves it! So it now belongs to Princes.

I haven't bought a afghan or blanket, but I have bought doilies, ornaments, etc thread items, but I bought them to use the pattern.... I love to go to Christmas bazzars and pick up different things and use the pattern to make more.....there are some interesting things out there....

I appreciate all the hard work that goes into the handmade items and try to "rescue" them whenever I can. I stop in our local Goodwill weekly to browse their book selections. I have found lots of crochet books that way. I pick up what ever afghans I find, also.

Lorry

I have bought a few things because I would see them fall in love with them, know I didn't have the time or the patiences to do them, so I bought them.

I have bought Afghans at garage sales for dirt cheap. One was a beautiful lacy thing in soft pink 48x60. I paid $6.00 for it. It now is my DD's because it matched her room perfectly.

I'm not predjudice againts other peoples work :D If I like it I will buy it!

A couple of yrs ago I bought 1 from Ebay beautiful blue and white and it was the best price I have seen including postage. I couldn't crochet it for the price.

I'm going to breed my cat in a couple months and I figured that I would rescue several of the baby afghans I've seen at the second-hand shops and garage sales and send each baby kitty to its new home with a handmade blanky. But I haven't done that yet so I voted "no."

my mother and i were out thrift shopping in az one time and as we were walking around she saw a baby blanket that was exactly like the one she had made for me when i was a baby. another woman was going to buy it, but mom told her the story and effectively got it for me. the price on it was 2.99 but we offered her 5 bucks. my youngest son now has it and loves it. little does he know what we went through to get it for him. hahaha

My Gram bought me a crochet blanket for college because, even though she knows how, her hands just weren't steady or strong enough to do it any more and she knew I really wanted one to take with me. I haven't bought any, but that's partially because I don't need any more right now and because I haven't seen any that I've just had to have. If I do, and can afford it, I probably would. I know how much time and love goes into projects so I don't mind paying for them if I really want them. I have looked at some that I thought were nice, but (no ego here.... :P) thought I could do better, or with nicer yarn or whatever.....

I sew but have bought sewn items from fairs etc before because they're either something I didn't want to or couldn't make or that I just couldn't resist...

So, I voted no, but that may change.....

I have bought afghans , placemats and potholders. Also incomplete afghans and finish them. I put together placemats and potholders for dog beds. Most I have ever paid for an afghan is $3.00! Sometimes you can frog crocheted items and get cheap yarn for a different project.

No....but, I've bought plenty of other crochet items, even tho I can, in theory, make them myself. Depends on a) do I want to make it, b) CAN I really make it, and c) will I? I have bought table runners, doilies, dolls, toys, doll clothes; these from crafters. I have also bought knitted doll clothes from crafters. Guilty of store bought crochet sweaters, on sale, for my daughter; just could not beat the price.

Bought a few crocheted tablecloths on Ebay for $20 or less each. Wouldn't be able to buy the thread for that now and it would take MONTHS to make them. True it's not the same feeling of pride as if I had made them myself but they are still very nice and were a real bargain. My grandmother who taught me to crochet when I was 9 was the most prolific crocheter of all time and even she would pick up a crocheted item at a thrift store. She would appreciate the time and work that went into the item and also the bargain price. No shame in it.

Archived