Pet accessories

DesertCrocheter

Now that Krista, my pet swap partner, has received her package, I wanted to post some photos of what I made her. Here is AJ's dog bone mat, done in Sugar N Creme purple and white (2 strands), and assorted cat toys (patterns found on CPC), all done in various colors of Sugar n Creme. This is the third dog bone mat I've done, and I love the pattern (thanks, Andrea!), and the cat toys were fun to make because they were so quick and easy--fulfilled that instant gratification thing I'm not getting elsewhere as I slooowwwllllyyyy knit an afghan.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/DesertCrocheter/gifts/IM003887.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/DesertCrocheter/gifts/IM003886.jpg

Thanks for looking! Patty

ETA to add: Sorry for the weird color cast. I love my dark green bedroom, it's so soothing, but it makes trying to take photos on things laid out on my bed difficult.

I really love that dog bone mat as well! Very cute! I definitely need to make something like that for my pup's water dish. Right now it's sitting on this ugly plastic thing I got on clearance, but something tasteful and pretty like that...:).

Too bad I have WAY too many projects at the moment LOL!

Great Job:cheer I love the Dog Bone Mat. I actually ended up buying the Calandar for the mat and Made my dog one also. They work up really fast. I used 4 strands of yarn, I didn't think you could use Sugar and Cream. I'll have to try that next time. What size hook did you use?

Carol:hook

Carol, I think the Sugar and Creme recommends a 4 mm or a 4.5 mm hook, and I used a 5 or 6 mm hook since it was double stranded. I made one of these a couple of years ago out of 3 strands of WW, not 4 like AJ's pattern calls for, and used my Q hook to accomodate all that yarn. I made myself a blue and white Sugar and Creme last year, also double stranded, and it's held up really way to washing and hanging on the line to dry or even getting tossed in the dryer occasionally. One of my dogs is a real slob and always is dripping water all over when she drinks. And it's my otherwise dainty girl, too. :lol Thanks for the nice comments, folks! Patty

I got the bone pattern 2 weeks ago and haven't tried it yet. Can't wait. I have 5 dogs and there is always a watery drool somewhere.

Now...what you saying is that you can use just 2 strands of a worsted weight yarn vs 4 strands? I've never crocheted with more than 1 strand so I was worried when I saw 4, maybe I'll attempt 2 to start.

Thanks!

Sure, you can use just 2, if you want. It won't be as thick as AJ's, and the gauge will be off, but since I was altering the length on the bone shaft on these anyway, to accommodate the longer the shaft, my gauge was going to be different anyway. I just added another row to the half-circles that are the bone length (so I did row 3 another time). I made the one for my dogs really long, so the water bowl flanked by two food bowls, would fit on it. The rounded ends don't meet in the center, but I don't care. I wasn't sure of the size of Krista's dog, so I made the shaft a little longer, added that extra row, and the rounded ends met in the center.

AJ's pattern is brilliant, and the whole thing can be made in just a couple of hours. I leave really long ends at the ends of the half-circles and use those to sew the half-circles to the bone shaft.

Make sure you show us a photo of yours when you make one. Patty

I just saw your mat. It is cute. I have a dog bone potholder pattern that I designed here:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5819339

I found working with cotton to be really different from four plys of acrylic, lol. So I adjusted the mat pattern to better accomodate it.

Oh, and thanks for the plug, I appreciate it. :)

Archived