Lets Do A Round Ripple Together

8pointstar.jpg

here is one i did a little bit ago i love the red heart spectrum color i also used red heart dark orchid and real teal also some warm brown.

That is pretty!!! I love the way it looks hanging on the wall like that. :)

They're all beautiful and very inspiring!

Well, I've gotten through round 4, and I've learned several things so far:

1. Working in a dark color is not easy for a beginner.

2. Caron Simply Soft yarn splits...alot...I'm sure much of it is because I'm

a beginner, but it's still annoying. I Changed from an aluminum to a

plastic hook and that has helped quite a bit.

3. So far it looks really pretty but I have no idea if it's looking the way it's

supposed to. :lol

4. Working in a dark color hides mistakes!:laughroll

It's fun though, and a challenge. It'll be a good learning experience for me, and then I'll do another one!

Hey all! Everyone's looks great. I'll be starting mine in a few hours when I get to the airport.

I'm glad to see so many people joining in, it's great.

I have noticed that Caron SS can be splity, but usually only when my tension is too high and I hold it too tight so I go through instead of around, or if I use too little of a hook. It's actually one of my favorites to work with because it is so soft.

I hope to post with some kind of progress (but no pic) later this evening once I get to Canada.

Everybody's round ripples look great. I'm glad you're posting pics so I can refer back to them when I'm picking colors for my next project!

The link will take you to a picture of my spiderman through round 18. (I couldn't figure out how to put the actual picture in my post.)

I'm having fun with this - but I sometimes feel like I need to wear sunglasses when using the red - whoa it's bright!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bgnagy/452287915/

Cay: When I first started crocheting, I didn't like using Caron Simply Soft for the same reason you mentioned. But now I love it. I just had to get used to it so hang in there.

I will join! I started mine yesterday and I am on row 12.

Question- what pattern is everyone using? Is everyone pretty much using the pattern on SewOnFire? Is anyone using the pattern from the Leisure Arts booklet- New Crochet Basics- 1989?? That is the one I am using.

I will post pics of my progress tonight. I am doing mine in white and baby blue, H hook and "I Love this Yarn" from Hobby Lobby.

Wow, i'm not to good at this picture stuff yet but i'm trying. Here is what it looks like as of today 4/7/07 Would love your comments on how it looks since it's my first one.

Gorgeous!

I can't wait to start mine.

This is the one I am making for my best friend/sister. I need to finish this one so I can get it in the mail. I am using Caron SS, the colors are rose violet, blue mint and black. I am using a size H hook. I am on row 36.

th_nancy3a.jpg

clickable

Ewe, Ahhh, I love the the colors! Very, very pretty!

Barbara, yours is looking really good.

Lov2Crochet what do you think of "I love this Yarn" I just started using it, and so far I like it, it's really soft, and it really was cheaper that red heart.

Amanda

Well...I really do LOVE it! lol It is softer than RH and a little bit cheaper which is a plus, I will definately use it again.

Thanks for the encouragement, Barbara. I do love the Caron SS because it's so soft. I'm trying to loosen up on my tension as Addey suggested. I'm noticing that when I'm working on a pattern that's new and has alot of steps I increase my tension without realizing it-Maybe because I'm concentrating so much on reading and understanding what each step of the pattern means, I forget to keep my hands relaxed.

I'm not sure what diameter across I'm going to make mine. It's for my daughter and I want her to use it so I know it will be bigger than baby-sized. I'm just going to keep on adding rows until it looks the way I want it.

Just curious, how many rows is a typical ripple round afghan?

That depends on if it is a baby rounder or an adult rounder. Plus it depends on the type of yarn. When I made my DS's rounder, I used RHSS and made it 36 rows plus the border. On the rounder I'm making for my best friend/sister, I am using Caron SS and am on row 39. The Caron SS is smaller than the RHSS because the yarn is thinner. Also, I used the hook size that the yarn wrapper specified.

If my memory serves me correctly, the RHSS is about 50" tip to tip. The Caron at the same number of rounds it about 10" smaller.

I have a question about changing colors. I'm finishing up round 6 and would like round 7 to be a different yarn color. I'm guessing I need make the change at the first stitch of round 7, but I'm not sure if I should include my yarn ends into the stitches or leave them and weave them in. I know that including them within the stitches will make the stitches a little bulky won't they?

I have a question about changing colors. I'm finishing up round 6 and would like round 7 to be a different yarn color. I'm guessing I need make the change at the first stitch of round 7, but I'm not sure if I should include my yarn ends into the stitches or leave them and weave them in. I know that including them within the stitches will make the stitches a little bulky won't they?

I made my first color change at the end of row 6. I worked the last stitch of row 6 up to when I had 2 loops on the hook, then dropped the original color and finished the stitch with the new color. Then I joined it to the top of the chain 3 as in previous rows. I leave at least 6" of the old color to weave in. I tried crocheting over it, but it made it too bulky for my taste.

Hope that helps.

:wooI started my ripple round afghan today, I am starting row 7 but had to stop for today because I will have to leave for work soon :(.

Question, should you just join the yarn or finish it off when you are ready to switch colors?

Everybody's round ripples look great. I'm glad you're posting pics so I can refer back to them when I'm picking colors for my next project!

The link will take you to a picture of my spiderman through round 18. (I couldn't figure out how to put the actual picture in my post.)

I'm having fun with this - but I sometimes feel like I need to wear sunglasses when using the red - whoa it's bright!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bgnagy/452287915/

i am making that one too. i agree with you. i was so glad when i got done with the red.:cheer i am almost done. i am going to add an exra of the blue and red to make it big enough that my son can use it when he gets older too.:yay

Question, should you just join the yarn or finish it off when you are ready to switch colors?

I finish off each round before starting another color. In my particular pattern, it tells you to finish off the previous round then with the new color, slip stitch into the 2nd DC and ch 3, then continue to DC in each DC until the ch 2 space and then do a shell.

When I finish off a row I leave a 4" or so tail and just DC over the top of it, the stitches aren't bulky at all and you can't tell b/c the tail is the same color as the previous DC's.