Can't even start

I was reading the thread about being normal with so many projects going. I can't even get to the starting point.

I look at patterns and decide if I can do them. I've even done a few trials to see how the pattern works up but....

I stall out totally. Wool? Acrylic? Thread? Squares, ripples, wearables? I can't even get to the buying stage. Everyone has opinions and they are strong!

Squares and acrylic fit my lifestyle and budget so do I just do that and block out the rest of the opinions? I was looking at yarn the other day and just walked out without buying anything. A couple of comments about acrylic made me think it isn't worth my time but anything else is soooo expensive I can't even contemplate buying it.

My two favorite patterns are out of scrap pattern books and I don't even have any scraps! I had a pattern for a bedspread but making bazillions of tiny squares and then sewing them together........

Help, where does an intermediate skill level start?

ArdenLynn

I often have the same trouble on deciding what pattern to do and what yarn to use. When I get like this I do something small and simple. Like coasters or barbie clothes. You just have to decide on what pattern you really want to do up and stick with it. :hug

IA couple of comments about acrylic made me think it isn't worth my time but anything else is soooo expensive I can't even contemplate buying it.

Don't let anyone's comments about what THEY think about different yarns stop you from using what you want to use. There are many times that acrylics are very suitable for a project.

I prefer not to use acrylics for most wearable projects (with the exception of things like scarves, shawls, ponchos, etc.), but they are great for many afghan projects and anything when easy wash-and-dry-ability are important. :)

I use acrylic and cotton quite a bit. They are warm, easy to clean and seem to last like iron. You don't have to be careful with them and you don't have to worry if something will happen to what you have made.

Eveyone works with what they are comfortable with. It is like trying to pick a car or a house hold applieance, everyone has an opinion and you go with what you are comfortable with.

The only thing, like Amy said, is I would not use acrylic for clothing other than hats or scarfs.

Start with something small. Dish cloths, place mats and such and work your way up.:hook

It is overwhelming at times with so many choices out there. I decide on

yarn depending on what I am going to make. Right now, I am working on a

baby blanket for a gift. I usually go with acrylic because of the easy wash and dry capability. For dishcloths, cotton like Sugar and Creme.

If I have no gifts to make, I fall back on dishcloths for myself, cause you can always use them! Or, for something else, may be to get some Red Heart and make 12" squares for charity. They work up fast and can always be sent to

someone getting a Comfortghan together. Oh, yeah, as for scrap ghans, I never had enough for an entire project anyhow! I am on a budget so I don't have a big stash. So, if a pattern you like is a scrap ghan, just wait for the yarn to go on sale and buy what you need for that pattern. That is one way to attack the issue!

There are some very talented people here that can give tips on the dilemna of choices in patterns and yarns. I say use whatever yarn is in your budget that works for the pattern you are thinking about making.

You are the artist here, you get to decide what you use.

Me, I'm a RHSS girl all the way. It's cheap and within my budget and it works great for purses and afghans, which are what I'm mainly working on.

I've got some softer, higher quality acrylic (TLC) for a sweater for me and one for my mom, but I'm allergic to wool, so that right there cuts out 90% of the snobby yarns.

Get yourself a free pattern from CPC, go buy a few skeins of Red Heart super saver in a pretty variegated color and make something for yourself. I recommend the Take Along Tool Kit, myself.

It's got an interesting technique that will keep you involved in it, but it's not outrageously difficult, either. And, there is absolutely no need to make it with expensive yarn - it would be foolish to do so. Sturdy is what you want here.

Next time someone comments on your choice of yarn, ask them to buy you THEIR choice, otherwise please follow Mother's advice - "If you don't have anything nice to say (about my yarn), don't say anything at all.".

And there's only one way to start - dive in!

I don't think ive ever used anything but acrylic like you it's what i can afford and mostly whats available to me. In fact i've never used anything but RHSS(I like it myself). basically because it's the only thing available at walmart that comes in 7oz skiens. I bought my first bernat yarn today only one skien though because, they didn't have the color i needed in RHSS. I'd love to try other kinds of yarn but, i have 4 kids and only my hubby works. So i get what i can afford. Most amigurumi patterns are nice for a small cheapto buy yarn for pattern to work on . Like oldbagladys snow dragon. http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42777&highlight=baby+snow+dragon Basically only need a small amount of whatever color you want it to be. My kids love the little amigurumi's ive made them.

There is a lot of great advice here. I'd like to say that I love acrylic yarn, but I too get a little distracted by the other fancier yarns. I would like to try other kinds some day, but for now, acrylic is inexpensive, and it does what I need it to do. I am looking around, and if I ever see something beautiful that I want to do, and it's not something acrylic, I might just branch out. :)

I love how versitile crochet is. You can buy whatever yarn you need, and you can do some very inexpensive projects with it. Or, you can go all out, and buy a lot of neat expensive yarn, and do something too. :)

Have fun!!! :)

Victoria

I could go on and on about your plight. Everyone has an opinion, but it's your money, your time, and your project. The way I look at it, I knit and crochet to bring ME pleasure. I've never used anything but Red Heart super saver, or Caron Simply Soft because it's readily available and fits my pocketbook. Every time I venture into the "unknown" of a different yarn, I always regret it. I bought some of the new fuzzy yarns on clearance, and now I know why they are on clearance. Anyway, this is a personal hobby, so do as you please and don't look for approval.

You are the artist here, you get to decide what you use.

Me, I'm a RHSS girl all the way. It's cheap and within my budget and it works great for purses and afghans, which are what I'm mainly working on.

I've got some softer, higher quality acrylic (TLC) for a sweater for me and one for my mom, but I'm allergic to wool, so that right there cuts out 90% of the snobby yarns.

Get yourself a free pattern from CPC, go buy a few skeins of Red Heart super saver in a pretty variegated color and make something for yourself. I recommend the Take Along Tool Kit, myself.

It's got an interesting technique that will keep you involved in it, but it's not outrageously difficult, either. And, there is absolutely no need to make it with expensive yarn - it would be foolish to do so. Sturdy is what you want here.

Next time someone comments on your choice of yarn, ask them to buy you THEIR choice, otherwise please follow Mother's advice - "If you don't have anything nice to say (about my yarn), don't say anything at all.".

And there's only one way to start - dive in!

Tiga, BEAUTIFULLY stated!! Once you start worrying about other's people opinions, it'll take all the joy out of crochet. I'm actually an acrylic lover, and proud to say it! Which doesn't mean I don't like the more luxurious yarns... I just know that yarn choice is personal. We each have our own tastes, budgets, likes and dislikes. So pick up a ball of soft, pretty yarn and a hook, and get to it! :lol

Welcome!

I think you'll find many of us here use acrylic yarn for a lot of our projects. Anyhow, acrylics vary too. Some like Caron Simply Soft is pretty nice for wearables. Red Heart Super Saver and Caron 1 lbers are great for things like afghans that you're going to wash many many times!

The only stuff I definitely wouldn't use acrylics for and would use cotton instead for sure is things like dishclothes and hot-pads (because acrylic can melt and cause burns).

Personally, I love wool but the acrylics have the advantage of being able to be put in the washer and dryer and not having to worry on how they're going to come out. So, I usually use acrylics.

I would suggest that you start off making something for yourself. Find a yarn at JoAnn's, Michael's, Hobby Lobby or WalMart that YOU like and will make YOU happy. Making a hook holder or tool kit for yourself is an excellent idea. Or make an amigurumi. They're so cute. You can't help but smile whenever you look at them.

I completely understand about finances that's why I shop strictly at JoAnn's, Michael's and WalMart. (The closest Hobby Lobby is 2 hours away and once you calculate in the cost of gas, the yarn isn't be that cheap any more.) I can't afford the yarn at the LYS so I don't even bother to go there (besides they only cater to knitters).

I have two philosophies: 1) I'm crocheting because I want to and this is what's making me happy and 2) if the other person doesn't like my choice of yarn for a project I'm making, then they can buy the yarn for me.

.....If you find something you really like and you see a pretty color in acrylic... then buy the acrylic....What do you like to look at... what do you like to touch...what colors go well for you....I do lots of things in acrylic...I have been crocheting for 30 years and just now I am in the position where I can do a huge project in an expensive yarn.....but the things I have done in acrylic are just as pretty to me as the expensive stuff...I just taught a friend of mine to crochet a couple of weeks ago..she was able to buy a couple of skeins of cotton and did up a couple of dishcloths..she then saved up and bought a cone of cotton and is making everyone she knows dishcloths... she is as happy as a clam and so is everyone in her path who is getting a dishcloth!

I can't wait to see what you decide on!

I love acrylic. I especially love red heart supersaver. I love it because I can afford it, it washes up well (which is a must for me), its easy to work with, and the item made with it will last a very long time even with normal use. I honestly don't care if someone else likes it or not. I don't mind someone else having a different opinion, as long as they don't get pushy with it. And anyways, it would be a waste of their breath to try to change my feelings about it, lol.

Don't ask other peoples opinions about what to do or what to use, and if they offer one, unasked for, thank them and then promptly forget it.Crocheting is something you should be doing for your own pleasure...not to suit anyone else. Now about acrylic and squares. I never do granny squares, don't like them. I do But why does using acrylic equate to only doing squares? LOVE acrylic. I use it in almost everything. Acrylic can mimic soooo many other fibers in look and feel, but can be machine washed and dried, and last almost forever. Most people, when confronted with a finsihed garment, don't have a clue what it's been made out of. Acrylic also has the advantage of not causing the allergic reaction that alot of the natural fibers do . The items I sell, hats, scarves, shrugs, sweathers ,etc, and the things I make for myself and for gifts, are all made from acrylic. I recently sold a lovely shrug, made from Caron simply soft, about 3 skeins of it, for $50. The person who bought it was thrilled that it can be machine laundered. The only other fibre I use is 100% cotton, and that's becuase I buy it in 1 lb cones for about $7 a pound. Acrylic is great... and you should never, ever, ever, let someone else make you feel uncertain, or less than satisfied about anything you do.

I used to get that way alot I do that with alot of things though I research so much that I get overwhelmed & say nevermind :blush I usually just make what is catching my eye the most at the time or if I feel like making squares for a comfortghan that somone has requested. Or if someone is having a baby then baby items etc. Maybe you could makes some comfortghan squares until you figure out something else to make. Or make some baby hats the baby yarn is inexpensive and they work up real fast then you could donate them to a charity. I find that when all else fails if I do something like that then at least I'm crocheting :hook

i love using acrylics because they come in so many beautiful colors...and they are so easy to take care of. i have just recentlyu started to buy more things that are blends of cotton or wool and acrylic....but i will never be able to buy all the amazing yarns that i have seen online....so...if you want to use acrylics...use acrylics....

and i would recommend finding a color of yarn that you like...and mess around with different stitch patterns...and that will give you an idea of what you want to make.....trust me...i do that when i don't know what i want to make....

Everyone here is right. What it boils down to is you are the artist (and yes, this is an art...). Do what you want to do, with what you want to do it in. If the pattern calls for something expensive, but you see a 'better' yarn that's in your budget that you just love and think would be perfect for it. Great! I've only ever started one project with expensive non acrylic or cotton yarn. I'm enjoying it, but there's this fear that hangs over me that I didn't buy enough... or that the work isn't good enough for the yarn (now that's a load of baloney if I'd ever hear someone else say that...).

Mostly this is something most of us (99%) of us here do because we enjoy it. We all enjoy it for different reasons and with different budgets, but we enjoy the making and creating and the yarn.

As a song by a local band says: Do what you like... like what you do!

starting a project doesnt mean you have to finish it

try it with a yarn you think will look nice, if you dont like it you can always frog it and start again with something else

as for yarn, try going to the store and petting stuff, get what you like and can afford

but watch out for fuzzy stuff, it can be hard to see the stitches

personally i love acrylic, its cheap, easy to work with, easy to care for, and lasts forever

good luck

Use exactly what you want. Listen to the advice and then toss it! If you can't afford the other yarns that pretty much makes your decision for you and it is not a bad one.

I have used acrylics for wearables and every thing has come out fine. I have also used expensive yarns for them and had disasters. It all just depends on how you do with the pattern and how you take care of the article after it is made.

I went into a yarn shop and was looking at the expensive yarns and got such attitude from one of the women when she found out I would "crochet" with such a yarn. It just needs to be your decision not any one elses!

I like to buy one or two skeins of the fancy (read: EXPEN$IVE) stuff and use it along with acrylics. You can put a stripe across the front of a sweater, trim along the edges, or whatever. It can really "make" the finished product and doesn't end up costing two arms and a leg.

i was afraid to spend $$ for yarn in case i messed it up. i would say i'm an intermediate crocheter. i started with rhss, bernat baby yarns, simply soft, peaches 'n cream, and cottontots. i've used homespun, too. i love soft yarns! i just bought what i could afford and what was easily available in my rural area. i just now branched out into online ordering. (Joann's - it was a great experience) i only recently made a few garments (bico sweater - so much fun). my next goal is to make a felted purse or hat. that means i have to buy a wood yarn!!

i feel like it is your craft, your art, and your choice. trust your own ability and your own taste. just remember to give your handmade gifts to those who will truly appreciate your loving efforts. unfortunately, not everyone does.

go for it. you'll do great. show us what you make!

Archived