Crinoline Lady CAL photo links post # 2

heart

th_IMAG0077.jpg

It's not bad enough I am a yarn hoarder...now it's gonna be thread?? I've been waiting to do this for a long time. I had a Joann's 50% off coupon - expired today - so I took advantage and got a HUGE ball of Ecru...marked 14.99 - got 50% off. I would like to make a table topper with it. I love that Royale thread....

What's your fav thread?????

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teresa -- it's beautiful! I love how you did the bodice and the top 2 rows of the skirt in 2 colors.

Jeannie yours looks beautiful.

Is the sweet pea hard to do. Im wondering what to do next. I see you had a lot of threads to get rid of. I had a lot too because every now and then there was a black mark on the thread. I had to keep cutting it to get rid of it, very annoying it was.

I think I might do Sweet Pea next, but I'm not sure. I also love the spring one. I need to run all my threads through on my Easter one before I start another one. These are addicting!

Jeannie yours looks beautiful.

Is the sweet pea hard to do. Im wondering what to do next. I see you had a lot of threads to get rid of. I had a lot too because every now and then there was a black mark on the thread. I had to keep cutting it to get rid of it, very annoying it was.

Thank you, Wendy, for the compliment!

Yes! It is very annoying when thead/yarn has defects! If the thread has those black marks, I think I'd see about returning it, if that's an option.

I assume by your question about Sweet Pea you mean the whole pattern? No it's not hard except for the little thread and hook! :haha There are lots of dc in a couple of rows which take awhile to get through, of course. The only special st in the pattern is a dc dec.

Now if you mean is making the actual sweet pea flower hard, NO, it is very simple! You just make 3 dc with the green. Then you join the color you have chosen and do a mixture of ch3's, dc's, tr's, more ch's, some sl st's to form 2 petals. That's it!

And it's really no big deal working in the loose threads. I don't think you have to be as careful with it unraveling like you do with afghans, clothing, etc.

I loved making the hat...it was fun to see it come out so pretty!

Now, I've got to follow Cylinda's instructions for shaping it and putting it together, although, I don't think I'm gonna use glue.

Which spray starch do you guys recommend? The light, medium or heavy?

When I complete Sweet Pea, I have to get back to a couple of other projects I'm in the middle of. But now I want to make more of these lovely ladies! Hope this CAL is still going when I can get back to it. I want to make the Easter lady and some others.

To make Sweet Pea, I interrupted crocheting a baby dress for a long time best friend's new granddaughter. And my friend knows I'm making the dress! So, I'm committed...can't change my mind...don't want to anyway. It's a 3-6mos. size and the baby is a little over a month old now, so I have a little time but don't want to dawdle too much! Plus, I'm committed to completing a baby poncho, booties, hat and blanket. Just have to finish the blanket.

Suzy, that's great! You go Girl! Love all your new thread colors! I had to get more, too, about 5 balls. But then I have lots of thread already, just not suitable for the ladies. I have a lot of metallic thread for Christmas stuff and 3,000 yds. for Crochet Memories' Teddy Bear Tree Skirt and 4 balls of blue for a Rose Vase Doily pattern from June '03 Annie's Favorite Crochet. Just too many things to make!!! It's so much fun!!!

Here is a picture of my Easter Crinoline Lady. BUT for those of you that did this pattern did you notice that in order for her to face right you end the last row of the skirt on the wrong side. Does that make sense. The skirt is really on backwards. The wrong side of the last row faces front. Not that others would notice, but I noticed........UNLESS I did something wrong? I wanted her to face right. Here she is...

EasterCrinolineMarch2007-1.jpg

Teresa, she is beautiful, she looks fine! Great job! :cheer:clap

I've redone the bodice on Sweet Pea because she was kind of flat chested. I did it the 2nd time with a size 7 hook instead of an 8 and she still looks a little flat chested. Also, added a row of sc cause her neck looked a little short to me. Maybe it'll work out better once I do the shaping.

But I love the Easter Lady. Gonna have to make that one!

I did notice, the DMC Traditions # 10 thread is a little thicker than the Aunt Lydia's # 10 thread. Anyone else notice that too? Maybe I just got a defective ball?

Hey Sarah! Don't know if anyone responded to your question but Cylinda once told me that the same brands of thread can even differ. For Sweet Pea, I grabbed some left over white that I think was mercerized cotton (I'm now learning to keep the labels stuffed into the cores...I have lots of thread and I don't know the sizes, etc.). Anyway, the white seemed a bit stiff. Then for the blue, I had some new Royale #10, and the label says it's 100% mercerized cotton. It's softer than the white and seemed to work up smaller. I left the blue rows in the skirt but redid the bodice. Haven't decided if I'm gonna redo the hat yet or not.

BTW, Cylinda is planning on joining the Ville; she probably won't be very active, though. She emailed me yesterday and said she was having a bad day with their satellite TV and other such things plus being inundated with orders! :haha Such a problem, huh? I haven't answered her yet to tell her who's ordering but I had already told her about the CAL.

EDIT: I probably shouldn't have said what I did about my email from Cylinda. If you haven't had discussions with her, I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression...she certainly appreciates the business and is sweet as can be; always wanting to be helpful. But she recently had oral surgery, then had to have her jaw broken and reset; it was hurting and she was having a very bad day.

Teresa...Your Easter Lady is BEAUTIFUL!!! I love that color combo! and your name doily is gorgeous too! I'm putting the link in the second post, and I'm also reading the list from last post to first, so I can get any I've missed. We've had a busy weekend.

Thanks Jeannie! ;)

Suzy! Wow what a stash!!! I just bought 2 new colors, I need to catch up! :D

I'm hoping to post a photo of my crinoline's skirt. It was the web archive one, It had a gazillion chain loop ruffles on it and is taking forever, but I know it will be worth the effort! ;)

Teresa, I also posted the link for your name doily, to show a way to display them. :U

**I've looked back thru, and I think I have everyone's Crinolines posted in the second post of the thread, but if I have missed anyone, please let me know so I can add you. I have about 4 more I want to make, so I agree, they are addicting! :D

Sarah, since my latest pic is a WIP with a bunch of loose ends, please, pretty please, could you remove it from post #2? It says they're "Finished Crinoline Ladys". Thank you, my dear!

:hug:manyheart

~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~

Thank you for posting my picture. I fixed my post so it the picture is in the write up. Can't wait to see more pop up! I just sit here now and think about all the color combinations and how pretty these ladies would be!

Teresa your easter girl looks lovely. Not sure what went wrong with mine. Did you attach the arm and the hat as it says while you are crocheting or did you just sew them on. I joined them as I crocheted as it says, maybe I should have sewed them on instead. What size hook and thread did you use.

Sorry for all the questions.

Funny that you ask that Aussie! I goofed and decided to skip making the arm and bonnet and went right to the bodice and as I was working that it said to attach the hat and arm which I had NOT made yet! LOL LOL SO I made them later and sewed them on. I'm not sure if that worked better or not. I think it allowed me to place the hat and arm where ever I wanted. I think yours is lovely. What do you mean...what went wrong with yours? It is beautiful.

I finished my Easter Girl tonight and here she is. She isn't perfect but for my very first one, she's pretty good.

EasterGirl.jpg

I crocheted the top of the sleeve to the bodice like the directions said but then I sewed the arms down to the skirt. I also sewed the hat on. I used a regular tapestry needle and the very long tails to sew them down and weave in the ends at the same time.

LaurieE...She is beautiful! I love that multi color thread! Perfect for Easter! She is lovely!! (Getting ready to add yours to post # 2 now)

Aussie, I absolutely loved yours! I think she is beautiful!

Archived