Your Crochet Book Source???

Hi everyone -

Wondering if anyone has a favorite bookstore (online or regular) that they find the best crochet books from???

I have found some good ones at Border's and thru Annie's Attic (the old House of White Birches mail order ones) - any one else????

I'm Australian, so I use Crochet Australia. They have a website. They're absolutely wonderful, everything comes quickly and if theres something I want from overseas, they'll get it for me.

I use Amazon. They have specials that have free shipping and when you spend a certain amount the shipping is always free. Of course you must select that option in the check out process. I have also noticed that they are almost always cheaper than Barnes & Noble and even Borders.

As far as an actual store, I've found the Barnes & Noble in more rural areas can have a pretty nice selection to look through. Also, B&N will order in books for you to look at with no purchase required if you don't like it. It costs a bit more if I like the book that comes in, but I've gotten burned a couple of times by purchasing books sight unseen online for cheaper.

If I'm going to order multiple books that I know I want, I'll often order from Amazon.com if I can get free shipping on them.

For on-line, I like Amazon--I like being able to read through the descriptions and get other people's opinions on the book before buying. Also, you can set up a wish list (for when your significant other is searching for birthday/Christmas ideas). For in-store buying, I like Barnes and Noble.

Their selection varies a lot, and it's always books (no Leisure Arts pamphlets) but when overstock.com does have crochet books, I like ordering from them. I got "The Crochet Stitch Bible" and "Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet" from them at a similar or slightly better discount than Amazon and BN, and shipping is always $2.95 no matter what you order. (Seriously. I ordered a huge storage cabinet that weighed several hundred pounds, and shipping was $2.95.) They're worth checking for

I always go to my LYS for Interweave Crochet, since they were kind enough to expand their crochet reference section when I pointed out that there are lots of crochet books available that aren't entirely kitsch. They're totally knit-centric but open to learning about crochet, which is refreshing. (For those in the Bay Area, I'm talking about Commuknity -- I love the Rug and Yarn Hut for its iconoclastic approach and general eclectic crankiness but I've never looked at their book selection.)

--Elissa

I like going to Maggies first because you can see more pictures form the book. Then i go between all differant places to get the right price and shipping cost. I am usually on a tight budget so I shop around, A LOT!! lol

Amazon.com is my first choice for buying books - I buy way too many books there (:blush)! But I like the variety and reviews. And I've gotten some great bargains from the Amazon Marketplace vendors "new/used" copies of books I'm interested in (:cheer). As far as the brick and mortar stores, I like BooksAMillion (BAM) and Borders (:clap). The B&N near me has a pitiful selection of crochet books (:no).

I too am a primarily Amazon shopper. :) I like using theirs because you can read other people's reviews, and if you buy new, as was said, buy enough and you get free shipping.

Not as worthwhile if you just want a small item or two -- if that's all I wanted, then I'd go to a local Books a Million or Barnes & Noble instead. Sometimes I go to the physical to just browse, but make my purchases at Amazon. I like to browse other (non-book) stuff at Amazon, so why not get free shipping on other stuff too, when already buying books. :lol

I used to like the selection of pattern leaflets at AC Moore, until they shut down my local store. I can still find a fair amount of them at Hobby Lobby or Michael's, though.

Barnes and Noble on-line has a good selection of crochet books. Type crochet into the search and have at it.

I just got a good load of crochet books (over $200 and I'm in trouble w/hubby) and I was not charged for shipping because I spent over $50. I also had them within a week!

Sheryl

Archived