New teacher at Michael's

About 3 weeks ago, I was in Michael's when I noticed a little flyer saying they were looking for instructors, including a crochet instructor. For some reason, I called the number on the flyer, which is a bit odd since I'm pretty shy and have never taught in my life! :2eek I talked to the event coordinator and she had me come in to fill out the employment application (well I was coming in to inquire about the classes, really, but I ended up filling the employment application!). I had given her the address of my website so she could see what I've made so far. She explained how things work, how instructors get paid, how the schedule works, that sort of thing. Then said it would take a week for the background check to come back. The next time I was there, I filled out several forms and an open book quiz on the employee handbook, and was given a card to clock in and out.

The other day, I finally scheduled my classes. :D Next step for me is to do my promotion board, which every instructor is required to do. As I understand it, there are actually two boards, one at the front, and one at the back. That'll be done this afternoon. I have to give them a short bio, too, with a picture (the idea of having my picture plastered on a wall is rather unappealing!). :blush

I decided to do 4 classes, from Beginner I to Intermediate II. We'll see how things go. My first class is next Monday. By then, I have to finish my tutorial - I want to be able to hand out a sheet or two recapping what I've said during the class. And I need to give a list of supplies needed. And make the project I'll have them do. And do samples of different stitches. And prepare what I want to bring in (and inventory it, they do bag searches every time you come in!). So much to do! :tired

In the first class, I'll teach them about yarn and hooks, how stitches look (front and back), gauge etc. then slip knot, foundation row, sc, joining yarn and finishing off. It's a lot to cover, so I hope to get all that in. I want to do a small square coaster, all sc, with a colored border. Next class I'll do hdc and dc, increasing/decreasing, reading patterns, abbreviations and symbols, and possibly shells and V-stitches so we can do something a little more varied. Intermediate I will cover ripples and working in the round (incl. how to keep it flat, and granny squares). Final class will have special stitches, among which bobbles, popcorns, posted stitches, long dc, and reverse sc, plus mile-a-minute, and I'll touch briefly on other techniques they can learn on their own (broomstick lace, tunisian stitch, and hairpin lace). I should mention that my classes are 2 hours each.

Right now, it sounds really exciting, but no doubt nerves will come into play as the date gets closer! Hopefully I won't lose it in the first class! :sweatI have been told to expect no one to show up for the first few classes (it takes time for people to notice new classes) and to not get discouraged by it. I still have to come in for the 2 hours anyway if that happens and crochet on the sales floor, as a way to promote the classes. Still, I'll get paid for being there, so it's not a bad thing.

Life's full of surprises. Three weeks ago, I had absolutely no idea I'd be getting a new job, let alone that of a crochet instructor at Michael's! :)

• 1 month later...

Congrats and Good Luck! Let us know how it goes. I've been thinking about doing something like that for a while, but I'm also quite shy and the only teaching I've done is with teaching up to 20 little ones how to rollerskate.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to you! Your class descriptions sound marvelous - good choice of topics to cover. And how wonderful to have 2 whole hours! From experience, I can tell you that teaching does wonders for a shy person!!! :lol I love teaching - the best compliment I ever got from a student was that I made her feel successful! Just remember that there are as many ways to crochet something as there are crocheters, and don't take anything personally - some of your students will need extra help or just not quite get it, while others will be jumping ahead. You can't control them - all you can do is encourage them! (Though sometimes you do have get all their attention all at the same time...... :lol )

• 1 month later...

Wow! Congrats! Yipeee!

I was a crochet teacher for 3 years at Michaels in Long Beach CA. I enjoyed teaching very much... Patience and more patience is the key to teaching. They will understand at their own pace... And when they do! It is an awesome site to see... Smiling, eyes are wide open.. cause they are shocked to find how easy it really is. Mimi... you'll be and AWESOME teacher. Not everyone can teach others... You'll do just fine. Good Job and Good Luck!

And thanks for keeping the art alive!

Thanks for the support! :manyheart

It's going pretty well. I usually have 2 students per class (though the more advanced classes often get cancelled, which is ok). Last night, I had 3 students, 2 of which are taking all 4 classes. I should have 3 again next week. I'm enjoying it. It's interesting to see people learn at different rates. Some have trouble holding the yarn, others pick up very quickly. I always tell them not to worry about how it looks at first - they'll have larger and smaller stitches and that's fine, as long as they get the mechanics of it. The uneven stitches will even out the more they practice. Last night, one student came back with a nice sample with very even stitches. She was surprised to see that it did get better with practice! :D

paperflowers, it's really not bad - most times you'll only have 2 or 3 people in your class. So it's not like you're presenting anything to a group, more like meeting with a couple of your neighbors. Most people are very nice. I say go for it. :yes

i just met with someone to become a crochet teacher at michael's today... i am pretty sure that i got the job! i've done a lot of teaching before, but never crochet. i would be so excited to be able to get paid for crocheting!

Mimi, I'm so glad you posted an update on how it is going. I'm happy for you and your students. Perhaps the word will get out and you'll have more students than you can handle after a while!!!

• 3 weeks later...

wow congrats!!! that sounds great! too bad you aren't in my area i would love to take a class and enroll my kids in one as well.

Archived