Yarn Addicts Cal

So yesterday I finally bid on ebay and got some nice wool. My question is why do so many people seem to buy on ebay? Is it for prices, location or just the fun?? Most of the stuff on ebay I can get locally. Am I just spoiled 'cuz I have a Michaels, an AC moore, several Joanne's and at least 3 LYS all within 30 minutes of me? I never thought of ebay until reading it on here.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So yesterday I finally bid on ebay and got some nice wool. My question is why do so many people seem to buy on ebay? Is it for prices, location or just the fun?? Most of the stuff on ebay I can get locally. Am I just spoiled 'cuz I have a Michaels, an AC moore, several Joanne's and at least 3 LYS all within 30 minutes of me? I never thought of ebay until reading it on here.

I'd say Yep to the "spoiled cuz you have umpteen dozen yarn stores close by" :lol

I have 1 walmart within 5 miles.. then another walmart 20 miles .. to get to a "real" yarn store .. I have to drive 40 miles.. oneway. The closest Joann's is about 95 miles (one way). The closest LYS is about 30 miles.. and closed on Saturdays.

Also ebay sometimes has yarn that is no longer commercially available.

So.. I just try to equate shipping charges to what I might spend in gas (and lunch while out shopping).

Update to my score.. 5 skeins came in Friday from Herrschners...making my total 62.

ok scores are in for this week ending 31st march

1st place is dreamsofyarn - 120

2nd place is a tie between clare and mrscrochetpants - 104

3rd place is lisaizme - 62

our total purchase score was 430 :woo

our YTD score is over 1000 + there was a week when i missed the scores and Nght had a score well over 1000 so that makes our total yarn addiction score well over 2000

congrats to all the winners this week and good luck every one for next week ( not that we need any luck, most of us just need to walk into a yarn shop ) :lol

Clare - if you tally up everyone's YTD scores you'll know where we are collectively :)

I think I'm gonna be in deep doo doo :rofl

I've got 3 rather large boxes of yarn that've been sitting at the PO for a week now because I have no place to put it when I get it home... that & cuz DH wants to kill me. And then Amazon went & had those prices :oops

You KNOW I bought some, right?? :shrug

I'm thinkin' I need to take some pix & put a massive lot on ebay, maybe even a few of them! I couldn't use all of what I own if I were to live THREE lifetimes! :help

Ok.. I have a question.. and pertinent to all of us who fell to the lure of amazon's amazing yarn sale...

do we post our yarn scores now or wait till the yarn is in our hot little hands?

UPS has mine.. and it's supposedly on it's way.. left Michigan at 6:32AM yesterday.. scheduled arrival is Friday (but with my luck it will come Saturday and I'll have to explain to the men in this house.. argh).

Ok.. I have a question.. and pertinent to all of us who fell to the lure of amazon's amazing yarn sale...

do we post our yarn scores now or wait till the yarn is in our hot little hands?

UPS has mine.. and it's supposedly on it's way.. left Michigan at 6:32AM yesterday.. scheduled arrival is Friday (but with my luck it will come Saturday and I'll have to explain to the men in this house.. argh).

I'm waiting until it's in my hands... currently there are 3 boxes stacked in my dining room & 1 more at the PO :lol

The site said delivery was scheduled for 4-12, even this morning.. but it was here today.

Yours will be there very shortly too, I'm sure! :)

Found the cam, found the batteries, went thru the boxes oohed & aahed, petted a lit'l, counted... now I can't find the cable for the cam :reyes

+ 276 for the 138 skeins :yay (pix to be shared when cable shows up)

Found the cable...

this's all of them:

Amazon 1

½ & ½

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68035641@N00/447471766/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68035641@N00/447471768/

I'm backkkkkk... I picked up the last amazon box from the PO & those other ebay boxes too!

Ok so, the math... :eek

from amazon today - 55 skeins

from the other 3 ebay boxes - 349 full skeins & 80 partials, plus 5 skeins of Tapestry wool... I didn't include them in the count tho becuz they're only about 3 yards or so. My daughter's gonna keep a bunch that I didn't want. +888 total

Here's links to some pix too, since my pix never work...

New amazon lot

Amazon 4

Yarn from ebay I'll keep

Keep Lot

Yarn boxed for moving out :lol

Out Lot

And Ash's Stash

Ash Stash

Ash Stash 2

Doesn't anyone else have anything new to share??? :blush

I got my Amazon Yarn Today: 35 Skeins!- Happy Birthday to ME!!! I also went to the Nu 2 U (Second Hand Shop) and they had A Bunch of Crochet Thread: 48 Spools!!! Here are the Pictures! = 166 Points :)

Yarn

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/PamelaLindsey/P4060070.jpg

Thread

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/PamelaLindsey/P4060067.jpg

ok scores are in for this week ending 31st march

1st place is dreamsofyarn - 120

2nd place is a tie between clare and mrscrochetpants - 104

3rd place is lisaizme - 62

our total purchase score was 430 :woo

our YTD score is over 1000 + there was a week when i missed the scores and Nght had a score well over 1000 so that makes our total yarn addiction score well over 2000

congrats to all the winners this week and good luck every one for next week ( not that we need any luck, most of us just need to walk into a yarn shop ) :lol

My Score of 104 was for This Week Not Last Week - I got the Yarn on Sunday April 1st! Plus I have an additional 166 points I need to add to my Score!

Not only did I get my 51 skeins from amazon yesterday, today a friend at work gave me a box of vintage yarn that her grandma had given her (her grandma actually gave her 4 boxes of yarn). She said she would be giving me more of the yarn, because she won't be able to use it all, plus she has just started learning how to crochet.

So I have 102 points for the amazon lot, plus 48 points for the lot from my friend = 150 points for the week (so far). She may be bringing me more tomorrow, if she stops by work.

Nght~ i am in love .....not with you :) with your yarn ,,,soo much yarn

Mrscrochetpants that yarn is devine it looks very pretty :yes and the thread is great too :heart great colours

...oh i thought that it was last weeks score ....oops

if people dont post their scores i am going off their siggy....

Dreamsofyarn ~ you have a very nice friend to give you all that yarn :yes my best friend and i play swappsy with some of the yarn that we have had for ages :woo new yarn without going spending any $$$ :yay

Nght~ i am in love .....not with you :)

Clare - I'm hurt!

:lol

What are you doing with the yarn that's "going out"?

It will probably go back on ebay... I wound up paying a BUNCH for this yarn lot & it would help me to make some of my money back :lol

It's mostly vintage stuff, all but a few in like new (but stored) condition.

A lot of stuff I don't like or won't use... wool, Italian mohair, rug yarn, etc.

I'll post a link somewhere when I get it together in case anyone is interested. :)

I'll post a link somewhere when I get it together in case anyone is interested. :)

Yeah please do. I didn't buy enough from amazon. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol (laughing at myself.. cauz I'm now regretting I didn't buy more of the 69 cent yarn.. )

As if I didn't get enough yarn this week, I went to Hobby Lobby today and bought more :lol:lol

I got an order at work today for a round ripple, and of course she didn't want the colors I have here, so I had to buy more. I got enough to make hers, plus have some yarn left for another project too. I bought 7 skeins for 14 more points. So my total for the week is......

164 points

I won't be adding anything before the cut-off, so... my weekly score is +1164... not too shabby, huh? :hook

I won't be adding anything before the cut-off, so... my weekly score is +1164... not too shabby, huh? :hook

The phrase "abandon all hope" crosses the mind. :lol:rofl

I haven't yet opened one of my boxes.. so I'm waiting till tomorrow when I can do it unobserved and make sure I got everything I ordered before I put my count in.

I did not buy any yarn this week:blush But yesterday I had a brain storm or maybe it was Friday and decided I needed to put all my yarn in a database. So I started counting all of my yarn. I have 3 datababases: Red Heart 'cuz it's so cheap I have tons!! Lion Brand: 'cuz I love their yarn so I have tons and plain old Yarn Inventory. So far I have logged a total of 104 different types of yarn!(not counting how many skeins/balls of each type) I have 9 more pages to log and I have not counted the yarn in the basement yet. It is fun to see how much yarn I have. Plus I think the database will work (if I keep it updated) to help me see when I find a pattern if I have the yarn for it. I'll let ya' know.

ok ladies and gents if we dont post our score we will not be in the running for places:no this is because of the time difference i live in Australia and most of us live in US sooooo if you can post your scores it is ALOT easier for me to see your score, sometimes i can not get to the puter and you have all changed you siggies :lol

Archived