15" to 18" doll clothes CAL anybody?

Creativity Woods

I am making a Another of the Indian princess dress. For a 15 inch doll, I was wondering how I could make her skirt maybe with a hoop effect. I have used pipe cleaners, and wire you use with silk flowers. They bend way to easy. What else do you suggest to use?:confused

I've also seen metal rings/hoops at my local JoAnn's and Michaels. I think in their doll area or in the flower area. They're in several different sizes. I'll see what I can find/see when I'm out running errands today.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darsky, I love your idea! When I first read the question I too thought of the metal rings that Addey mentioned, but the ones I've seen are fairly heavy and I think they might drag the crochet material down and stretch it out of shape. The lightweight plastic souds like a better idea. Actuallly plastic tubing like what is used for aquarium air lines would probably work too although it would add a round ridge to the work.

Ok guys, promise me no laughing, ok?

We live an hour in any direction from shopping and I needed purse handles. My hubby is a maple sugarmaker and has all sorts of neat stuff hanging around in the saphouse. I scammed some rubber tubing (the kind the sap goes from the trees into those huge tanks in) and small connectors, that will take an act of God to come apart, for a purse handle. I absolutely love it.

The kind he has is soft and flexible so I put coathanger wire in it to keep it the shape I wanted before I squeezed the connector in. The tubing and the connector cost like 50 cents total. You could crochet around it if you wanted to or leave it. I sew so I actually made a fabric tube to put it in before I connected it. The funny thing is that there are like a million combinations and shapes you can make with the connectors.

OK, enough of my pathetic concoctions for the day :rofl

Ok guys, promise me no laughing, ok?

We live an hour in any direction from shopping and I needed purse handles. My hubby is a maple sugarmaker and has all sorts of neat stuff hanging around in the saphouse. I scammed some rubber tubing (the kind the sap goes from the trees into those huge tanks in) and small connectors, that will take an act of God to come apart, for a purse handle. I absolutely love it.

The kind he has is soft and flexible so I put coathanger wire in it to keep it the shape I wanted before I squeezed the connector in. The tubing and the connector cost like 50 cents total. You could crochet around it if you wanted to or leave it. I sew so I actually made a fabric tube to put it in before I connected it. The funny thing is that there are like a million combinations and shapes you can make with the connectors.

OK, enough of my pathetic concoctions for the day :rofl

I LOVE IT!!! :manyheart

What's great about that, besides the cost, is the fact that you now have a structured handle that's SOFT too. Or, if you wanted a really funky look, make a cloth tube for the wire and then just leave the tubing clear. I'm guessing you're talking about some kind of tigon (sp?) tubing like is used in soda fountains and labs and stuff. It also comes in all kinds differend diameters as well.

Ok, enough rambling on about tubing for me... I love the idea and it's a great way to fix a 'problem' with what you had on hand! :):lol

I actually use some old purse handles for the bottom to keep the skirt weighed down. It actually worked good. The tub Idea would work just as great. Thanks for all the ideas.:c9

Hey I finished my first doll. She is at my blog and is adoptable. I cant wait to head to the second hand store to "rescue" another. Visit my blog in my signature to see the beautiful shell gown and bonnet that is on Chrissy

Hey I finished my first doll. She is at my blog and is adoptable. I cant wait to head to the second hand store to "rescue" another. Visit my blog in my signature to see the beautiful shell gown and bonnet that is on Chrissy

Jimmie Lu she is so sweet. I love what you did with her.

Jimmie Lu! She's adorable!! That's a very cute little gown on her. I love the idea of having dols for adoption.

As far as my projects. I'm going to wait until my patterns I ordered get here before I try making overalls. I gave them a shot this evening and I don't have any clue how to fix them. I think I need directions for this one :P I'll give the dress a shot tomorrow morning, I've got friends coming over in the afternoon.

Jimmie Lu,

What a great job! :cheer You should be so proud. Not just because you did an absolutely adorable job, but for your recycling work as well. :clap

I would love to try something like that for the kid's charity projects around the holidays. It would give us an excuse to do even more doll stuff!

You go girl :yay

Jimmie Lou she came out beautifully! I've given a few bears that have turned up at the church rummage sales a cleanup and then dressed them in new sweaters and hats, but I hadn't thought of trying to work on the dolls. Humm our spring sale will be here soon and I'm going to check out the dolls!

Helen I've seen that sugaring tubing running from tree to tree along the roads here (New Hampshire) for the last week, but I've never gotten up close to it. Sounds like its very useful stuff! I'm a recycler and I love the idea of giving new uses to stuff you have just "hanging" around.

Darski I brought home a Dora doll yesterday. I've been looking at all those outfits you've designed longingly ever since I discovered this crochet along and have been wanting to give them a try, but had never really looked at at the doll. She's certainly a rather odd shape. I think she's very cute, but the men in my household (DH and older DS) were not impressed and have been saying very unkind things about my taste -- LOL as if I'd listen to two men who think of dolls as "dust catchers"... I think I'm going to try the beach outfit first.

Someone tell me -how do you post pictures here?

My niece Libby loved the doll clothes I made.She is great and tells how good my crocheting is -no matter what! She liked the skirt I made for her doll(AG)so much that she wants me to use the same stitch to make her(not the doll)a dress.Libby's idea is for me to me crochet 2 rectangles,sew the sides together,and she will use some ribbons to make the straps.I think i will try a doll version of it first!

Boo's clothes are so cute!Jimmie Lou-the doll is adorable.Darski,I am so glad you have a AG doll. Angelfire is so nice!!!

I have really enjoyed all of the patterns in the Bernat's Best Friends booklet. The cover photo shows a knit skating set but the other patterns in the booklet are crocheted.

s62777856.jpg

This is the bathrobe, pillow and afghan set. The booklet features patterns for the 18" dolls and little girls. I've made most of the patterns and the instructions are clear and fun to do.

Those are really cute. I like the colours and the detail...

You did a good job.

I don't dare get any books just now. with the touchy quality of copyrights these days, it keeps me "pure as the driven snow" if I don't have any other patterns around. but those are very nice.

Leslie,

I am new to the whole posting photos thing, too. I just started a photobucket account thing, but didn't really like it. For what I do it doesn't seem to work out very well, but I am sure some people it works wonderfully for. I have had better luck with a blog from blogspot. I put the link to my blog in my signature and will tell everybody when to go there and check something out.

The dress your neice Libby is talking about sounds like a pillowcase dress (sewn). I have mede several for my dd and she loves them, I never thought about crocheting one. That sounds cool.

Darski,

What a cool hockey uniform! I love it! One of the things I did a few times as a child was to go to Adirondack Redwing hockey games in Upstate NY, brings back memories. Also love the bathrobe for Dora, sooooo cute!

Luv2stitch,

What a great job! Your stuff looks perfect and I love the way they go so well together. I bought the Bernat book also, but have been having a hard time getting the gauge close enough. I will probably start winging it, my dd really likes the aran set. I would like to suprise her with it for easter, but I am not sure if I can pull it off.

Gotta go pretend to do something constructive!

Good morning everybody,

I have a question for you ladies. Have any of you ever ordered from Annies Attic? I am interested in a couple of their doll books but have yet to order anything from them. I was wondering how they are as far as shipping goes, (cost and time) and the quality of their patterns. I have bought patterns before with many typos and such, it is so annoying! What do you guys think? :think

I ordered the Sam and Gloria pattern book from them last week. The shipping is in flat rates per dollar range. It was like $5 for the first $15 and then went up. I haven't recieved them yet, but I did get confirmation about the order pretty quick. I should hopefully have them by the end of the week and then I'll be able to tell you about pattern quality. I really needed something for pants as I just can't seem to figure them out...

Addey,

Thanks a bunch. I keep watching the books I wanted on eBay first to see if I can get them cheaper ( the 3 I wanted were $10 each, way too much for my cheap self :lol ) but they are actually selling for more than that everywhere else. Go figure!

IM not in your cal but here is a picture of my bear

P5160017crochetedbear2.jpg

way cute... that pic puts you in the cal

we'll send you the bylaws and the secret handshake later :wlol

Very cute bear!! Is that Stormy's pattern? I've seen some other tester ones on another thread.

Darski-

When you figure out that secret handshake could you let me know?? :lol And I thought the bylaws were 1. drool over everyone's fab work, 2. post lots of pictures of your own fab work and 3. have lots of fun letting your inner 'little girl' out to play??

The bear is grandma hookerys

and the cloths are cabbage patch dolls I used a size k hook and 4ply yarn for the bibs and a j hook for the sweater. to make them fit

I think both patterns are on cpc

Archived