My therapist told me to buy expensive yarn...

I was talking to my therapist today about my crochet ADD--the search for the perfect yarn, pattern, etc... and how I jump from project to project, dissatisfied and never really able to settle with one thing. She noticed that part of what was going on was that I was trying to make do with cheaper yarns; so instead of having the one thing I really want, I had 7 things that I wasn't completely happy with.

She knits and can relate to my fiber obsession. She suggested that I splurge on expensive yarn for a big project so that I can (paraphrasing her words) "look forward to sitting down to work with a really sumptuous yarn for a couple of hours a day." That might curb my ADD.

Whaddya think? Cosnidering the amount of money I've spent on unused yarn, that I got primarily because it was cheap, she might have a point. I've been dreaming of walking into Artfibers in San Francisco and buying enough silk blend yarn for a dreamy, multitonal, positively luminous little sweater.... Check out this yarn, for example. Just imagine--therapist-approved yarn splurge! :yay:devil

I talked to my therapist about it yesterday :hook She agrees, :yay great yarn, perfect project .. therapy for my OCD and PTSD symptoms. Now I realize why I have a stash that fills my entire closet :devil

ok but really hon she makes sense. How much $$$ have you spent on the yarns for the projects that are UFO? And are you going to finish them or leave them in the UFO pile?

How much would it cost you to get the yarn you WANT for that sweater? :D

I used to do this......... get the cheap stuff and not finish my project because I didn't want to work on "that thing". Now....... if there is something that I really really want I do get it and I actually finish the "thing" and use it a lot.

This is my thing I do to relax me and if I am not enjoying working on a project then why do it in the first place? No not everything I do is in the nice nice thread or yarn but when I want somethign for me or usually my mother I get what I WANT and love the item oh so much more.

Yes when I do this it takes from my yarn money and so I can't get as much cheap stuff when I see it on sale or things like that but I am so much happier when I get something for just me and know it is out of what I wanted it to be out of. So I don't think it is a bad thing to get what your heart desires once in a while. :D

Right now I am being good and not buying because I want some valdani thread to make a big doily with. It is pricey but I fell in love with the thread and I am GOING to get it. The doily will be for my best friend who is moving a few states over in July but I know that she will love the way the colors blend and think of me every day with it on her table in the living room. That will be my "payment" for the thread. The meaning of the doily from me to my friend.

lol, thank you guys. sfgwife, thanks for sharing your experience; it gives me perspective. Gosh, it's nice to have a place to share this stuff.

You know how they have books about the Zen of knitting and all that? Someone should write a book about the OCD/ADD of crochet, lol, and the psychology of yarn consumption. (I know knitters have yarn issues too, but there's something about crochet and the ability to crank out projects that gives us an extra edge. :hook) I love crochet, it's a major creative outlet for me, but I feel totally guilty about buying yarn. And like my dissertation, crochet has become entangled with my rather unhealthy degree of perfectionism. I think buying a lot of yarn isn't itself the problem; but why do we buy more yarn than we use?

If I'd started to crochet in time, I would have done my diss on crochet culture! Really!

Well I have been doing this for quite some time. I realized that nothing I made really satisfied me because I was always thinking how great it would have tourned out if I had just gone ahead and splurged on the really great yarn then I would wear or use the item twicw as much becaue I really loved it.

The problem is that now I have like 6 projects in various stages because I'm really ADD and I get bored witht eh same stitch or fiber. But what I do complete is made with really beautiful yarn;)

WAIT A MINUTE!!! Why does a crocheter need a therapist, anyway? Stop spending money on the therapy and you'll have plenty for cashmere!

Ya know, there might just be a bit of common sense in that prescription too ... if you're going to spend the big bucks on the fancy stuff, there's no way you're going to let it just sit there. Oh, the guilt! The needless guilt!

Oooh, and I can see some really great group sessions with a therapist like that! I've taken my crocheting to appointments ... sure. But spinach dip and wine?

:hook:yarn Crochet party at the therapist office... And I suppose the therapist can come too as long as she's willing to learn to crochet :devil

I do believe your therapist has a point though. I know I have a number of UFOs because I loved the pattern, loved the colours of yarn I picked up for it but hated the texture of the cheaper priced yarn I was using. I'm sure if I splurged on something I enjoyed the feel of, those projects would've gotten done. And if any family members complain, you can tell them you're buying it under doctor's orders.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

my therapist was just the opposite, she told me to stop buying the expensive yarn beacuse it just sits becuase I am afraid to make a mistake with it an d waste it. So i guess it depends on the person. I have a closet full of Boucle yarn because it is beautiflu color and texture but I am afraid to ruin it by froggin it too many times .

Will Medical Mutual cover a yarn prescription?

Makes sense to me - I am trying to make a scarf I saw someone on TV wearing and am not happy with it and it is because of the yarn. Soon as I have time, going to get better yarn and try again.

You know, I think your therapist is right! I'd like a prescription too, by the way! The yarn you showed is absolutely stunning and it would be wonderful to work with it, so why not go for it? However, at this price, if it were me, I'd make a shawl or scarf. Have fun!

Karen

Does this mean since I'm a therapist (technically still an intern) that I can give myself permission to buy expensive yarn whenever I want? :eek

We are taught the importance of "self-care" which means realizing when a case we are working on is too personal for us, making sure we keep ourselves mentally and emotionally healthy. I think buying yarn fits in with self-care.

In my graduate program we have a couple of knitters (I'm the only crocheter) and I'll have to share the contents of this thread with them. :lol I love it!

~ Lori

I think it's a great idea. Some of the projects I am happiest with and love to show off came from the bestest yarns.

***. I just looked at that yarn. I think I see exactly what I need for my next project. Tell your therapist that I need one of those prescriptions!

lol, thank you guys. sfgwife, thanks for sharing your experience; it gives me perspective. Gosh, it's nice to have a place to share this stuff.

You know how they have books about the Zen of knitting and all that? Someone should write a book about the OCD/ADD of crochet, lol, and the psychology of yarn consumption. (I know knitters have yarn issues too, but there's something about crochet and the ability to crank out projects that gives us an extra edge. :hook) I love crochet, it's a major creative outlet for me, but I feel totally guilty about buying yarn. And like my dissertation, crochet has become entangled with my rather unhealthy degree of perfectionism. I think buying a lot of yarn isn't itself the problem; but why do we buy more yarn than we use?

If I'd started to crochet in time, I would have done my diss on crochet culture! Really!

I'm a bit OCD and I have 12 75quart crates full and growing :( about a dozen WIPs I've given up on (mainly due to wrong guage or running out of yarn). But really, crochet is th best hobby for ADD because you get through projects much quicker than you would with knitting. Anything you dont like, give to family as a xmas gift.

:rofl I'm so enjoying reading everyone's comments. Will definitely tell my therapist about this thread, including all the requests for Rx! :devil Just wanted to report back in and say that I have resolved to buy really nice yarn for one special project, and I already feel much less compulsive about yarn buying. I actually passed up a trip to Michael's yesterday because there wasn't anything I really needed to buy! I decided which projects I actually want to finish, and frogged the rest. Also feeling much more focused about planning yarn purchases--really thinking in terms of what's appropriate for projects, not just "it's on sale." It's a miracle! :yay

Now, if I could just do something about my bulletin board addiction....

That's really nice yarn, but considering that it's $12.50 for 50grams. it shouldn't just be nice, it should crochet itself for you! The cost of 16 oz of this" nice " yarn will be about $114.00, give or take a penny or two. Now I can't think of much of anything , outside of baby items, or scraves, that can be made using "just" 16 oz of yarn. I also love the idea of cusing "top shelf" yarn, but the cost of it makes me really appreciate the "cheaper"( and at 4 to 8 dollars a ball, still not really inexpensive) yarns at the local craft/fabric stores. Instead of looking for the cheapest yarn you can find, go to the local JoAnnes, Hobby Lobby, AC Moores, Micheals, whatever, and check out the "higher end" of the yarn range...feel it, you won't find cashmere, but you may find something that feels good enough to love. I am in the wonderful position of having a good income, not having to justify my spending habits to anyone but my cats, and they really don't care as long as I buy their food first, and I would have a VERY hard time spending $12.50 on 50grams of any type of yarn.

I was about to say "what medicine does your therapist take? I want some because it's good!" :D

I do understand her point though. The difference between a good crochet product and a GREAT crochet product is the yarn. If you have good yarn, you'll be more prone to finishing it and feel more satisfy when it's done.

Right now all I want is Patons SWS, it's really really nice. You should check it out.

oh i love this. cant wait to show it to the dh...no really it is true..we waste money on stuff that is cheap and should have got what we wanted in the first place... same with things like a washing machine or ice box. I have been married 15 years and always had used machines.. finally put my foot down and spent $600 on a washmachine. yes just the washer. and i love it. save money on the water and my clothes come out so clean. now to save up for the matching dryer $780...buy that lovely soft wonderful yarn and enjoy!!!!

Archived