Our House Part One (go to Part Two for posting)

JulieKay

Kiyo

I think maybe me and Cindy should take you under our wings and HELP you to learn how to make a doily . :yes

( Cindy--- don't tell her I have NO CLUE how to make one !!!) :think

Since we are the Grandma's of the group,we need to pass on our wisdom to the grand-daughters. :grandma

Right ????:D

lol- Oooook! SOLD! Wait..........we could ALL be beginners- I saw a pattern to make some thong panties on Ravelry that looked a little like a doily???? lol I laughed. They were cool, not for me but cool!

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Julie, the only doily I've ever made is the one I did in yarn for the preemie ghan.

That square one looks really easy to me too. Shall we give that one a try? It's worked in rows so it would be easier to keep track of where I am.

I have this feeling that doing something lacy and open in rounds would be challenging for me. I can already see a mess of thread in chains and spaces, and no clue as to which direction I'm going in, or what round I'm on!

I think that for our first round one, we should look for something that has some body to it, like that heart one, rather than all open spaces. At least seeing the hearts take shape would give us a clue as to whether we are headed in the right direction!

Kiyo

I think maybe me and Cindy should take you under our wings and HELP you to learn how to make a doily . :yes

( Cindy--- don't tell her I have NO CLUE how to make one !!!) :think

Since we are the Grandma's of the group,we need to pass on our wisdom to the grand-daughters. :grandma

Right ????:D

Yes, you're right...we have to make her learn how to make doilies. We would be failing as grandmothers if we don't. After all, who will teach Aree to make doilies, if we don't teach Kiyo?

And once she makes them, she should put them out all over her home, so that her friends will know that she is practicing to be a good grandma!

I don't think it matters that we don't know how, since she thinks she isn't interested. Poor girl...she'll be drowning in doilies before she knows what hit her!

Kiyo

You ornery thing !

What would us old grandmas need THONG underpants for ?

Geeminny-- At my age ,I need to COVER UP as many body parts as possible .:lol[/quote

they weren't for me either, lol I thought it was funny. Good times---you're cracking me up! I won't tease anymore!

Cindy

Sounds good to me ... here is one more I found when looking up Beginner doilies -- it may have too many lacey parts too ..not sure .

I'll just post it for your viewing pleasure, then I'll go with whichever one you want to try .

http://www.nancyhearne.com/drawingboard/simpledoily.htm

I saw that one when I was following links earlier. It's gorgeous isn't it? I was somewhat deterred by the beginning of the pattern which listed popcorns and clusters as some of the stitches used. I'm for something slightly easier to begin with, but I'd love to do this one someday. I think its one of the prettiest ones I've seen.

After looking them over again , I think either the little heart one or the square one would be good for starters .

We'll get so good at these, Kiyo will be BEGGING us to teach her our doily skills !

We could make them both. I think the little heart one might be small enough to be a coaster if it is done in size 10 thread.

Good one, Cindy !!

we will have her house looking like an old granny's house ,with doilies on the table,s backs of chairs, dressers.... maybe we'll even have her make one of them toilet paper poodle things that were popular in the 60's (no offense if anyone still HAS them) ...

Kiyo

we'll make you a DEAL :

since we are such good, kindhearted GRANDMAS,we cordially invite you into our DOILY CLUB .

You will be our first student .

Now THAT is an opportunity NO ONE would turn down .

Gotta make one now ....

Kiyo

You ornery thing !

What would us old grandmas need THONG underpants for ?

Geeminny-- At my age ,I need to COVER UP as many body parts as possible .:lol[/quote

they weren't for me either, lol I thought it was funny. Good times---you're cracking me up! I won't tease anymore!

You can tease all you want...just as long as you don't mind getting it back!

I love you guys! You're killing me! I'm over here in my little cubical trying not to laugh out loud and have everyone know i'm doing extra cirricular things! lol. I will try out a doily after you guys tell me how it is. My Aree has actually asked me about crocheting. Sooooo one day!

Someone asked how to pronounce my daughters name---can't remember....sorry! It's just like the letters----R & E. Simple. I had the complicated name my whole life Mikiyo----plus my maiden name was long and Japanese. and I wasn't going to send her through that pain. lol

Good one, Cindy !!

we will have her house looking like an old granny's house ,with doilies on the table,s backs of chairs, dressers.... maybe we'll even have her make one of them toilet paper poodle things that were popular in the 60's (no offense if anyone still HAS them) ...

Kiyo

we'll make you a DEAL :

since we are such good, kindhearted GRANDMAS,we cordially invite you into our DOILY CLUB .

You will be our first student .

Now THAT is an opportunity NO ONE would turn down .

Gotta make one now ....

Oooh..toilet paper poodle things!! That would make her the talk of the town, maybe even the state! So much for her cool grand-daughter image!

Cindy

I didnt read through the directions for the last round one, I just found it as a beginner pattern,but you are right, let's wait a bit on the bobbles and such .

Let's go with the little heart one first then,since it is smallest, then we can do the square one next .

Is that ok ?

Also, I'm using the size 3 thread and size C hook I think it is --- I am not brave enough just yet to go with the tiny metal hooks .

I love you guys! You're killing me! I'm over here in my little cubical trying not to laugh out loud and have everyone know i'm doing extra cirricular things! lol. I will try out a doily after you guys tell me how it is. My Aree has actually asked me about crocheting. Sooooo one day!

Julie, we are more convincing than I thought. We've practically got her crocheting a doily already! I think ii was the mention of what Aree would be missing that did it!

Cindy

I didnt read through the directions for the last round one, I just found it as a beginner pattern,but you are right, let's wait a bit on the bobbles and such .

Let's go with the little heart one first then,since it is smallest, then we can do the square one next .

Is that ok ?

Also, I'm using the size 3 thread and size C hook I think it is --- I am not brave enough just yet to go with the tiny metal hooks .

Okay. It'll be size three and a C hook for me as well.

Kiyo

You can tease all you want. You werent here back in the good old days when we were all ornery ... you arent doing anything wrong, so no worries .

We will let you make the thong underpants IF you make a poodle toilet paper cover first .

and get out your hook and thread-- you get to make the little heart doily with us !

LOl I would admit to making them!!!! I'm not ashamed of my work! lol And I don't doubt that you would do that to my house, and even the dishsoap doll too!

Archived