Our House Part One (go to Part Two for posting)

JulieKay

Julie, I am not working on anything right now, how ever I am looking at learning how to do a quilted afghan, I was thinking about doing a sampler afghan with quilted images.

http://www.p2designs.com/images/patterns/QltGranny-Maple.html

There is one I found that I really like.

Sorry, I don't like to reveal personal information on here, but you can call me peachy! or peaches! :-)

Welcome!

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good Morning, House. :)

Marisa! :bdayHow are you going to celebrate?

Leanna ~ Thanks for sharing pictures! The purses are both wonderful and your kitties are sooo cute. :hook

Joanne ~ Stay safe if you drive to work. Fox News has pictures on right now!

Judy ~ Great pictures! I hope you're all stocked up and able to stay in.

Cindy ~ Thanks for the info. on the light. Cross-stitch is why I need one, too. :lol Enjoy your day at home.

Hi Orchid! We're glad you're here. :manyheart

DD, Luke and I are having lunch together today. I have a couple of errands to take care of, so had better get ready.

Stay warm and have a good morning. :)

Mary----have a great day! Enjoy your lunch date!

Happy Birthday Marisa! Glad you all liked the kitties and the purses...

I just woke up...*yawn*

And Judy, the pictures of the snow...you poor thing...that's a lot of snow.

Hi Julie, sorry to hear that the asthma is rearing its ugly head again. I suppose that means that the Simply Soft is out too? Have you tried the I Love this Cotton from Hobby Lobby yet? It's a lot nicer than the usual dishcloth cottons. I think that you could make pretty much anything out of it.

I am thinking about making a doily. Want to join me?

A few weeks ago, I made a preemie ghan out of a doily pattern and to my surprise the pattern was a lot easier than it looked. So now I think that maybe I can make one.

'Morning, LeAnna!

Kiyo, just gotta say, you have the most beautiful eyes. As for Duke...he's kind of got that "Ho-hum, there she is with that camera again" look.

Mary, hope you, DD and Luke had a great time at lunch.

Peaches, how big are the squares you are making? If you go to crochet pattern central, and click on free patterns, you will see that Rachel has links to a lot of square patterns listed by size.

Hey all...

Here's some pics...[ATTACH]33958[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33959[/ATTACH]

gold fish coin purse, which was a big hit...

[ATTACH]33960[/ATTACH]

BB

[ATTACH]33961[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33962[/ATTACH]

Gingerbread purse that I started like 3 years ago and finally finished and used this year...and got a lot of comments on in public.

[ATTACH]33963[/ATTACH]

Ms. Serenghetti "Diva"

Love your bag! and gingerbread house!

THANK YOU CINDY!!! and yes.....Duke---he's a one of a kind dog. lol. I rescued him from a shelter and I think he was neglected in many ways (strange enough though---not physically abused thank heavens) but Love---OMG---he is a NEEDY dog and he talks to you, it's great. He is very dumpty dum mannered most of the time unless he is chasing Pixie round the house. He gets more love and his picture taken than most! lol

Kiyo

Love your dog's name : DUKE . Now THAT is a manly sounding dog name. Tough and strong and brave !

The hat is cute !

And how do you pronounce your girl's name, is it like AIRY ,or said a different way ?

I always like neat names like that, that are different than everyone else's .

Peachy

You may want to try the crochet pattern central --they have squares divided into sizes -- i'm sorry i didnt notice what size would match the leaf !

Good luck in finding some !

Hi Cindy

That is a great invitation, to join you in making a doily ! Did you have one in mind yet ?

I found 3 old CAL doily patterns ,all made by the same person ... let's see if the links for them will work here :

http://www.crochetmemories.com/archive/misc16.html

http://www.crochetmemories.com/archive/february5.html

http://www.crochetmemories.com/archive/corner12.html

J

Sorry, I don't like to reveal personal information on here, but you can call me peachy! or peaches! :-)

I missed this remark earlier...but I am wondering, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in wondering this...How does revealing your first name constitute revealing any sort of identifying personal information? Unless your name is extremely unusual, I don't see how if it would be a clue to your real life identity.

For example, I know Mary's name and I know her grandsons name. I also know what state she lives in, but I wouldn't know it was the Mary I met here, if I was introduced to her at a party.

Now don't get me wrong, you have a perfect right not to tell us your name, and I don't mind not knowing your name, this comment just struck me.

BTW, I'm not trying to create trouble, or make you feel bad, I was just wondering.......

Hi Cindy

That is a great invitation, to join you in making a doily ! Did you have one in mind yet ?

I found 3 old CAL doily patterns ,all made by the same person ... let's see if the links for them will work here :

http://www.crochetmemories.com/archive/misc16.html

http://www.crochetmemories.com/archive/february5.html

http://www.crochetmemories.com/archive/corner12.html

No, I haven't looked at any on-line patterns yet. All three of these look pretty easy, and not so many rounds that I would get confused as to where I was. I'm partial to that swirly looking one.

I have also been thinking that thread coasters would be pretty.

I think that a while back, somewhere on the board, I read a thread asking for suggestions for a doily pattern suitable for thread beginners. Wonder if I can find that back?

And Julie, I was wondering if you could knit with the Simply Soft? If you knit as slowly as I do, you wouldn't have near as much fiber flying around, as with crocheting.

Love your bag! and gingerbread house!

Glad you like...

Slow moving day today. Am suppose to go to the yarn shop this afternoon. I kind of don't want to (only because I'm in that 'want to hibernate' mindset) but I really do need to go off island because I need to gas up my car. There are gas stations on the island, but the price of gas is any where from 50 cents to nearly a dollar more than off island.

Last Friday I finally went to the 3rd Friday of the month gathering that my friends have been nagging me about attending for the last year and a half. I took my cousin with me. Oh.my.goodness...the place was PACKED. It is quite the event. It goes from 4:00 until 9:00 (although people can come and go whenever), tables set up every where, show and tell and people bringing in food or ordering food from the cafe next door (which is truly a win/win for both businesses) and it is just amazing. I mean the Thursday socials I go to at this shop is usually one long table full of us knitting or crocheting and still there's room for more people...but this Friday night thing...wasn't sure there would be a chair for me, but they managed to find one...

This place just gets more popular as time goes by. Debbie Macomber's business plan seems to be what is painted over one of the doors of her shop: Where relationships are formed and traditions taught...

And she and the staff mean it. I have come to call the place the "Church of Yarn" There is always something going on. There is a two page schedule of classes (yes, mostly knitting, but that's because the lady that started up the Crochet Club (2nd Saturday of every month) felt that we learned more if we were a group just "showing each other stuff" and who knows, that might lead into her or me or someone else setting up a class for more experienced stuff that one could pay for...we'll see, but as far as beginning classes, she just feels like she's stealing their money...at least that's my take on it) and there are tons of opportunities to just hang out at the shop in a social setting without paying extra for the privilege. And it is amazing how far people will come to hang out at the shop. I, of course, come from Vashon, others come from Bremerton, or Tacoma or even Fort Lewis...and that's a drive...but come they will because as one put it, there is a wonderful yarn shop in her town, much closer, but for social gathering, they charge $15.00 a session. Another shop refuses to have any social gathering whatsoever (which is odd really because almost all yarn shops have some kind of social time...even the shop I lived next door to in Germany did and for no extra money...) But Debbie's shop is almost in a class by itself.

What's really cool is there is no snobbishness about whether one knits or crochets, whether what one is working on is made with yarn bought in that shop or with the Red Heart that one just bought that the Joann's across the street...and honestly because of that, the place at times just seems to be popping at the seams with customers...

It like Cheers, where eventually, everyone knows your name...

Look at you girlies go with your "DOILIES" lol-----I think I am FOR SURE the Grand-Daughter in here! lol I'm not old enough to do doilies! :0) JUST PLAYING! You guys are great, just had to give you a tease!

Look at you girlies go with your "DOILIES" lol-----I think I am FOR SURE the Grand-Daughter in here! lol I'm not old enough to do doilies! :0) JUST PLAYING! You guys are great, just had to give you a tease!

Who are you calling old???:D Just because we have a few grandmas in here.....:devil

Marisa is another young-un.

LeAnna, it took you a year and a half to go to what sounds like such an awesome gathering???? Will you be going again? It sounds soooo neat!

Honest to God I had no idea it was gonna be like that...seriously. I thought it was just like any other Thursday social...and I didn't go before because I would be there on Thursday and the ferries are a consideration at the end of the Friday gathering...

So after last week I decided that I would still aim to go to the shop once a week but adjust to work in the Friday gathering...so first week of the month I'd go on a Thursday, the 2nd week Saturday because that's the Crochet Club, 3rd week on Friday 'cause that's the BIG EVENT and the last week back to Thursday...and knowing that one can come and go at the Friday even makes it easier for me because I do have to watch that ferry schedule. Sometimes the boat I'd have to catch would be the 8:30, otherwise I'd end up having to wait until 11:00 p.m. and then it would go to Seattle BEFORE going to Vashon and I wouldn't get home until after midnight. The current ferry schedule now has a 9:30 direct to Vashon boat, so that makes it easier for me to attend the Friday gathering...

So yeah, I'll go again and hopefully my cousin and maybe her mom will go with me again...

Boy you're brave...

:lol

Doilies may seem "grandmotherly" but my view of them are a testament to one's ongoing skills in crocheting. The skills you learn from doing doilies (especially working in crochet cotton thread) can be worked into non doily items...

I have a curtain on a small window that is filet crochet (another technique that some view as a 'grandmotherly' skill) and to me what makes that particular piece so not 'grandmotherly' is that its design is a unicorn. The piece was designed by a member here named Katchkan who actually lives in a neighboring town from me and years ago I was privileged to test for her. Eventually I really do need to make it's partner, the dragon...

I have a few people still trying to figure how they can slip that curtain under their coats and out of my house...

Since you have deemed yourself to be the "granddaughter" of the house, there are thread worked crocheted chokers that are really cool and one that I made for a friend, the beginning of it came from the beginning of a Patricia Hewitt doily pattern. The effect ended up being very goth and my friend of whom I made the choker for really, really liked it.

I know you were kidding...

Who are you calling old???:D Just because we have a few grandmas in here.....:devil

Marisa is another young-un.

:lol SHE IS!??? We are going to have to be the "GRAND-DAUGHTER (S) then! lol You're great! Those never appealed to me, i'm not a fancy decorator to use them. Good luck though- I was actually thinking of POSSIBLY doing a table runner for my Grandma in Atlanta though....maybe I will need some coaching when you are done!

Cindy

Thanks for looking up some beginner type patterns. I like the first one-- the little pink heart one is cute --

I also made a copy of the Priscilla's one . I'm not much of a doily expert,so not quite sure what direction to take for our first one ( or have you made them before ?)

Here's another that looks super easy :

http://glor-crochetgalore.blogspot.com/2010/02/dianes-doily-march-doily-of-month.html

Kiyo, doilies aren't really much my style either. However, I think they are pretty, and I'd like to see if I could make one. One of my friends has doilies in her china cabinet. Just the lacy edge is peeping off the shelf, and it looks wonderful.

I also really like lace tablecloths, and maybe someday i will get up the ambition to make one.

Kiyo

I think maybe me and Cindy should take you under our wings and HELP you to learn how to make a doily . :yes

( Cindy--- don't tell her I have NO CLUE how to make one !!!) :think

Since we are the Grandma's of the group,we need to pass on our wisdom to the grand-daughters. :grandma

Right ????:D

Archived