What do you Look for in a Crochet Book?

b1jah2

Once you have decided you would like to buy a book on crocheting, what is it that becomes the deciding factor? Is it pictures, levels of difficulty, style, etc?

Mine is probably pictures that give me help throughout the process.

Pictures are very important to me...specifically color pictures. The bigger the picture the better. I also look for things that I may actually attempt to do. I see lots of beautiful patterns, but I don't want to make them all. I like varying levels of difficulty too. I'm a new crocheter and I like patterns that I can definitely do, but I want to challenge myself as well.

The difficulty of a pattern makes no difference to me--I'll take a stab at anything...I want great patterns. I was looking at books the other day at Joanns and frankly, I have seen enough ponchos and hairy fun-fur to last a lifetime! I want patterns with clean lines, beautiful stitch patterns, and things that work up quickly. I also want books that, instead of assuming you're going to go spend $10 a skien for the yarn that they use, assumes that you need to know the weight of the yarn for substitution. And I know that mistakes get made, and that you don't usually know about the mistakes until you are already into a pattern, but I'd love a book with minimal mistakes. I love The Happy Hooker and have made most of the patterns at this point, but geez--who edited that thing. It would make me think twice about buying a book by the same author if I ran into several errors in a book.

I also want books that, instead of assuming you're going to go spend $10 a skien for the yarn that they use, assumes that you need to know the weight of the yarn for substitution.

I didn't realize how important this was until recently. Most books are published in the US and, while I live in Canada where online ordering is easy and most places will ship to me, I struggle with finding the right yarn. Especially at affordable prices! I also suffer from *must start the project right now* syndrome. I don't always have the patience to wait for shipping:blush !

If it's a book with instructions, I want very clear photos, perhaps using contrasting yarns to help "see" the stitch/technique. And make sure to use complete sentences when teaching a new technique, this is not the time for abbreviations.

If it's a pattern book, I'd like to have classic designs. I'm tired of the bazillion novelty yarn/fad fashion designs. Gimme something with classic lines without using novelty yarns. And make sure to list the YARN WEIGHTS. I have no idea if your high end, hard to find yak-yarn is a worsted or sport weight yarn....

for me i like photos, tleast iknow what it *should* look like, whether it comes out right or not. also i dont like diagrams, i cando them but i dont like to so any diagram pattern books are out for me. i also agree about the yarn thing. i bought this book once with a pattern for this amazing hoodie in some expensive ribbon yarn. not only was it discontinued and i couldnt get it any substitube for w ribbon yarn the same weight wouldhave cost me about 120$ to do the hoodie... at that price i go buy myself a sweatshirt hoodie from walmart for 40 bucks it isnt as nice but i can still afford to crochet more with that.

Patterns! I already know how to crochet, and it seems half the books are instructional now, so I really look to see if it has good patterns that I want to make. I agree about the prices of the yarn, this happens a lot in knitting books, and the pricier yarns are showing up in crochet books now too.

I remember when I bought crochet magazines, they used to just say "sport weight", or "worsted weight", and not even say a brand at all! I guess they assumed you would use acrylic, lol!

So patterns that I would actually wear. :yes

The crochet books that attract me are the ones with gorgeous photographs, and several patterns that I would make. I like clean and simple projects, nothing kitchy or cutesy. Too many baby items, or too much instruction is a turn off.

I look at a few of the patterns and see if they are well-written with good instructions on specialty stitches. I also try to find books with a variety of patterns that I would want to make and maybe some "new" things that I haven't tried but would like to. I definitely like good color pictures but I have to remind myself not to bypass something just because it's shown in a color I don't care for because I rarely use the yarn brands and colors that are recommended... which brings me to needing to know the thickness of the yarn and the yardage needed, not just the weight in ounces!

I look for items that interest me, either by technique or design. I like them to be clear, printed on durable paper, with clear photographs. I also appreciate when yarn weight is listed.

Speaking of crochet pattern books, anyone know of any good plus size clothing books? How about decent instructions on how to "adjust" a pattern for someone with either tricky or more...well...generous...proportions?? I'm trying to plan gifts and want to include sweaters...and not everyone I know is a supermodel!

It's all about items that look "Cool" to me: books with at least mostly patterns that I don't already have or don't feel I can get online for free. If a book only has a couple of items that appeal to me, then I probably won't get it, unless it's something so spectacular that I just have to have it!

I look for patterns that I may actually use - photos are necessary so I can see what the item looks like. Too many crocheted wearables are just not my style (too frilly, too lacy, too small, not machine washable).

I look for good patterns and pictures that support the patterns. I, too, get tired of half the book giving the basics on how to crochet. I want patterns and lots of patterns, not how to single crochet. A couple of sheets in the back is fine, but when it is over half the book, I pass on it.

Yes, there needs to be those instructions for beginners, but not in every book you pick up.

:manyheart

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the diagrams. If it weren't for Donna Kooler's book I would have given up, I was crocheting into the post on a hat from Hip to Crochet which turned out enormous!! Very discouraging even though my boyfriend insisted it was cute, neighbors howled. I got her book for the diagrams and the follow through to more complex stiches. I enjoy reading something beautiful and involved and just understanding it. If there are too many questions for me or the pattern seems to be wrong, I figure the author/publisher might not respect my time and the expense of putting something together.

Pics are OK but as a former photo stylist I know you can make anything look good in front of the camera, or look like it fits.

The main thing is: I want the project to turn out and not look "home-made" in a bad way.

• I love learning new techniques that are explained clearly.
  • Good color photos of a finished product are a big lure
  • Don't really care to see the 'basics' instructions in most books. Often the projects would just frustrate a true beginner anyhow.
  • Good information about the yarn so I can replace the "super high-end" stuff to something else if I need to.
  • Classic items that won't go in and out of style faster than I can make it!

I actually don't own any crochet books! I do have a lot of those pattern books from the craft stores... I do collect magazines...If it is instructional, I look for pictures... if it is a pattern book, I look for clarity in the instructions and charts.

1. The quality of the designs depicted is really important to me--is it fashion forward, is it something I would wear/use, how does the garment drape, are there interesting stitch patterns and not just row after row of the same.

2. Must also have stitch charts and schematics.

3. Ditto on detailed yarn info, to allow substitution.

4. High quality color pics of garments and accessories on actual people, not laid out flat or on a manikin.

5. Spiral binding is definitely a plus.

The first thing I look for is if it has enough patterns that I like to justify the price. If there's only one or two patterns I like and the book is $20, it doesn't work for me. (I do the same on magazines).

Next I see if they offer the weight of the yarn. I've never heard of half of the yarns out there so I'd like to know I can find something to substitute. (Learned this the hard way)

Is the pattern all sc or dc? Pass. So many patterns out there are all sc or dc and depend on some furry yarn (I don't do fur except for the occational trim on something) to make the pattern.

I'm with all of you out there who say if it's half 'how to sc' I'm not getting it. There is a ton of beginner books on the market now days and it drives me insane that all book stores and craft stores I go to only want to carry those. With all of the new books out there, you'd think they could at least try to keep up some.

Lastly, I have to try and remember if I own it already. My stuff is spread out through 2 states and 3 locations. I'm still looking for my stitch bible :cry as well as some other pattern books I have and packed when I left Alaska. I know they have to be at my parents house somewhere, but I digress. ( A common problem with me)

Lines! I'm tired of seeing boxy jackets with no shaping. Crochet is the perfect medium to flatter a woman's curves (or lack there of)

I look for stylish, doable, no fun fur, no hairy fiber garments that I would make and wear. I also love household items such as potholder, dishcloths and bath accessories.

I, too, need to see pics, just to get a general idea of what the item looks like. Is it something I'll potentially make? Do I know someone who'd like this for a gift? Is it something I can easily adapt to make larger/smaller?

How many items in this publication will I make? If it looks like at least 40%, I just might go for it.

Also, are the stitch patterns appealing? Is this an instruction book? Do they offer fiber weight comparisons? How practical are the items? (meaning, will the items get used by their intended recipient?)

Archived