Why I Now Prefer Crochet Over Knitting

cgd

I used to knit, but I would lose motivation when the project worked up so slowly.:yawn

Then I tried crochet and I was hooked (pun intended haha). I am now addicted to crochet, and if this addiction is wrong, I don't want to be right.:laughroll

I wish all of you a Happy, hook and yarn filled, New Year.:party

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just made my first Tunisian Crochet project (a dishcloth).:clap I think it's awesome that you can get pretty much the same fabric as knitting (stockinette) and still use just one crochet hook. TC can be sloppy around the edges if you're not careful, but it beats all the dropped knit stitches I usually have. Still, I was relieved to get back to regular crochet at the end. :)

I've been crocheting for as long as I can remember, and my grandmother taught me knitting sometime after that. -_^ She taught me the English method (using your right hand to 'throw' the yarn) and the slow progress of it just frustrated me.

This autumn I learned how to knit Continental style ('picking' at the yarn held in your left hand) and it's made all the difference. Swapping between knit and purl stitches is a breeze, and I get to use the same yarn grip I use for crochet. It still takes forever, but it's a little more tolerable.

All of this being said, I still like crochet more. It's easier on my wrists and is more calming for me. And I think that crochet doilies are much more stunning than knitted ones. ^_^

I knit when the budget is really tight but I need to make something just to keep my sanity. Since it goes so slow for me and uses less yarn, I get the yarning fix and don't blow my budget. :lol I'm still a beginner knitter, though, but I've been practicing making some scarves for the red scarf CAL. I saw a beautiful sweater I wanted desperately on the cover of Interweave Knits two years ago and vowed to get good enough at knitting to make it. Which might be in about 40 years. ;) Patty

I knit when the budget is really tight but I need to make something just to keep my sanity. Since it goes so slow for me and uses less yarn, I get the yarning fix and don't blow my budget.

Hey, that's a good idea! :applause Gotta remember that tip. :remember

I knit when the budget is really tight but I need to make something just to keep my sanity. Since it goes so slow for me and uses less yarn, I get the yarning fix and don't blow my budget.

Glad I'm not the only one who does that!

I'm still learning to knit, so I'm sticking to scarves for now. Still haven't figured out those darned increases and decreases. I like the rhythm of knitting, its very meditative, so I'll knit for the process...but when I wanna MAKE something, I crochet. It's way faster, and way more WYSIWYG. I like to make weird things up as I go along, and crochet is much more flexible for that. You can make 3d things without frogging them 8 zillion times like with knitting (or, at least most of the time you can :P )

i do both knit and crochet.....and i think that it all depends on how intricate the pattern is for me when it comes to knitting...if it's easy knit 1 row, purl 1 row, then it takes me no time....but i started a lacy sweater...and that is a pain....a lot of different things going on.....crochet does go faster, but sometimes i just want to knit...:)

I like to do both for different reasons but have to agree, knitting is alot slower. I just learned a few new techniques that have helped me to speed it up some but I always go back to crochet.

This autumn I learned how to knit Continental style ('picking' at the yarn held in your left hand) and it's made all the difference. Swapping between knit and purl stitches is a breeze, and I get to use the same yarn grip I use for crochet. It still takes forever, but it's a little more tolerable.

This has been the case for me as well. I've made several attempts to learn to knit over the years, but it never quite worked for me. I learned the Continental Style and it finally came together.

I'm not sure if I'll do much with the knitting, as I just don't enjoy it as much as crochet. I'm going to give it a try though.

In a way, I am glad that I learned knit and crochet (or more correctly crochet and knit) when I was quite young ...6yrs and 10 yrs.

I enjoy both but under threat of death I would say that I am a crocheter.

Each offers something that the other lacks and I would hate to be without either.

About a year ago, when I was really concentrating on my knitting with my Y group and all, I have said that I made the mistake of picking up a crochet hook... it is really hard to go back to full time knitting when crochet rewards you so quickly. (That probably has more to do with the "Branching Out" pattern than any thing else. :wlol

Having crocheted for years, the crochet is definitely faster for me. I probably *enjoy* crocheting more because it's more comfortable but I admit to loving the knitting as well. I've gotten to the point I rarely drop a stitch, have picked up the increase / decrease quite well and am currently learning to knit socks on those 4 double pointed needles. I like the stretch of knitted clothing and wearables better.

Crochet is definitely best for some things, and I personally feel gives more options for designs (motifs) but I like knitting best for other things. Since I knit (continental) similar to how I crochet it came easy and fast to me to pick it up. I enjoy giving classes in both ... I enjoy doing both.. when I burn out I burn out on BOTH lol which sucks.. but then I can pick something up from either and work and get a "fix". Crochet is more portable I think :) and for me crochet is faster .. but I have to say I prefer knit for clothing and socks and crochet for everything else lol

to me, knitting is fun for a change when I'm getting bored with my current projects or something. But it really is sooo much slower than crochet for me. I knitted a scarf as one of my first projects and I was so sick of that yarn by the time I was done! lol

I've been crocheting for years but only recently taught myself to knit. I have been knitting squares of different stitches to sew together for a sampler afghan. I enjoy knitting, but it is so much easier for me to crochet, and much faster!

I learned to knit and crochet around the same time. I prefer to crochet. I think I am better at it and that it is faster for me to crochet. I still knit now and then... but most of my time now is dedicated to crochet!

Yeah, the Red Heart is rough...wonder if there is a way to soften it up?

The more you wash Red Heart, the softer it gets. After about 1/2 a dozen washes, it's ubber soft. And be sure to use fabric softener too. To me Red Heart is not even close to as rough as wool. I too, (hey cgd!!) live in Mississippi, and I cant imagine wearing anything made with that itchy stuff. I've been to some yarn shops and "fondled" some of these highend wools, that claim to be soft, and I'm like, "no way!" they're just as rough as the others to me.

anywho!! I too tried knit, and it just didn't work for me.

The more you wash Red Heart, the softer it gets. After about 1/2 a dozen washes, it's ubber soft.

That's great to know! I agree that some wool is very rough. I'm not much of a wool fan anyway, I use it to felt. I bought some alpaca wool that was super soft on the skein but was rough once knitted up. :( Bummer.

The more you wash Red Heart, the softer it gets. After about 1/2 a dozen washes, it's ubber soft. And be sure to use fabric softener too. To me Red Heart is not even close to as rough as wool. I too, (hey cgd!!) live in Mississippi, and I cant imagine wearing anything made with that itchy stuff. I've been to some yarn shops and "fondled" some of these highend wools, that claim to be soft, and I'm like, "no way!" they're just as rough as the others to me.

anywho!! I too tried knit, and it just didn't work for me.

I live in the Jackson area--what part of MS are you in? Yes, I've fondled the high-end wools and wool blends, and I itch just thinking about them! My budget doesn't permit on these anyhow, so it's just as well. For once my taste matches my budget--cotton, acrylic, WalMart, Hobby Lobby, etc. I'm among the yarn peasantry and am OK with that. Most of the store-bought clothes I wear are cotton or synthetics anyhow. I haven't given up on knitting entirely , but just really prefer crochet right now. I have a need to have my projects grow a little faster than that!

I learned to knit before crochet, but I enjoy both equally. Depending on what my mood strikes I'll do a project with whichever tool. However, I noticed I need more concentration when I do crochet so I can't exactly watch tv at the same time unline with knitting.

I had some of the same trouble with knitting. I'm all self-taught both crocheting and knitting. I learned crocheting first then when I was older I tried to learn knitting from a book. I didn't know it then but it was the american knitting. I didn't have the patience to stick the needle in, wrap the yarn, pull it through, take the stitch off the needle then repeat. To me it took too long to do one stitch. Then we went to germany (dh was in the army) and I learned the continental/brittish way. And it's Much faster and more fun. I hold the yarn the same as crocheting and the right needle does all the work. But guage, thats a different story. lol

Pat Ada

I also self taught myself how to crochet and knit... I would say I love how knit items look but when it comes to how fast I can finish a project I love how crochet works up quicker..

when comparing how I was when I first started to crochet I was able to finish a lot more then when I started to knit

I learned crochet when I was little, probably around five or six and from my grandma. And I am now trying to teach myself to knit through books and the internet. It's very frustrating and slow going. Even if I get the hang of it, I can't imagine preferring it over crochet.

Archived