Socks-a-long?

ChristinaCrochets

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the worsted weight yarn for the sock I used a tutural from the yahoo crocheted socks group but the cuff came out too big or should i use the tuturial here would work better than that one. It said for cuff to ch 16 and work rib stitch for 25 rows. I did that and it was too big I used an E hook I think i might try this tuturial.

On the worsted weight yarn for the sock I used a tutural from the yahoo crocheted socks group but the cuff came out too big or should i use the tuturial here would work better than that one. It said for cuff to ch 16 and work rib stitch for 25 rows. I did that and it was too big I used an E hook I think i might try this tuturial.

It sounds about right, its probably correct, you just have smaller ankles/feet. KWIM

I never count my rows I just work the ribbing for 8" then I join the edges then start the foot

I'm on that group too. If you tell me the pattern name maybe I can read though the pattern to help you more. W/O seeing the pattern you are talking about here are some of my suggestions:

If a gauge was listed that can be important to get the right size.

Did the sock pattern call for worsted weight yarn or sock yarn? This could be why your sock is coming out too big.

The best way to make sure your cuff is the size you need for the ankle is to wrap it around your ankle then stop when it feels comfortable to you. So you might only need 20 rows. I adjust patterns as I go lots. I like my socks to fit fairly snug so I rarely follow a exactly. I try my socks on as I go then adjust as necessary.

I hope to participate more in this CAL as I finish more holiday gifts. I love:manyheart making socks. I even have a quick pattern I came up with I can share after the first of the year.

I would appreciate your coming to help here in the new year - that's like what... three weeks or so now :eek

I would like to try another pair that is more sock-like. In the new year :wlol

Ok I have the crocheted socks book pattern. It gives the yarn in there but where do I find that yarn. I gives cotton i think some sport weight and some wool/nylon.

i LOVE THAT BOOK. I'm slowly working my way through it making socks for me & the family. I substitute other sock yarns for the ones in the book all the time. I've used Patons Kroy sock yarn, Sockotta, Swizzle, Regia, Silja, Knit Picks Essential and others.

For me I want sock yarn that is thin (fingering weight 28 st/4in) and has about 75-80% wool (warmth) and 20-25& nylon (for strength). I also like to add reinforcement yarn when I make the heels.

I'm making the Oxford style socks right now for my dh.

Ok I have the crocheted socks book pattern. It gives the yarn in there but where do I find that yarn. I gives cotton i think some sport weight and some wool/nylon.

Ginny gave you some good suggestions.

You can also use yarndex. Just enter the yarn recommended then it gives you other yarns that are similar.

Sur you can use worsted weight. they will ne a heavier sock, more os a slipper socks, but sometimes those are the best ones! I have made several pair on worsted!

yarn weight is your preference on what you want the final "fabric" to feel like

You can use ww for socks but if the pattern calls for dk or sport weight and you follow the pattern w/o adjusting it your sock will come out too big.

50sc(which about what I need) around the foot in sport weight sock changed to 50sc in ww would make a sock for giant ;) So I highly recommend using the yarn recommended or if you want a ww sock and need to follow a pattern find a pattern that calls for ww yarn. This toe up tutorial here would work for any weight yarn.

I like ww for wearing with sandals in the late fall and winter. I like sport weight/fingering for my sneakers.

Has anyone ever tried to crochet socks using a self-striping/patterning yarn similar to this:

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420113/yarn_display

I'm wondering if you would still retain a pleasing stripe or pattern... even if it is not identical to the picture?

I haven't used that striping yarn .... but I think that particular yarn which is designed to give broad stripes would be better suited to crochet than the yarn that is designed to change colors with every row of a knitted sock. I think in crochet this KnitPicks yarn would simply give you thinner stripes and the white would be speckled in the center of your strip but not as perfectly distributed...

Here's some examples of socks crocheted with other striping yarns...

in this blog post you can see a picture (clickable) of a partially crocheted socks and the skein of yarn next to it - I think knitted it would look kind of like the pictures on the cover of the book pictured. In this post you can see the completed socks

Hope this helps a bit!

Sure I have used striping yarn, but I amm to big a synic for it I NEED my stipes to line up perfectly. I know its just me and everyone thinks its fun to make 2 non exact matching socks.

So what I do if someone despertly wans a pair with the stuff, is to buy 2 skeins, then I compare the strand and line then up perfectly then start at the exact same point so my socks match... exactly.

But as picky as it seems I am always so happy when they are done and perfect.

I might have a pic on my computer here...

Thanks for those links! I like all the stripy socks, and I absolutely would have no problem if two socks were just similar, and not identical. I also like the look of having toe, heel and cuff in a solid. I like a longer sock.

I may just have to try this (socks) but probably not after the holidays.

Joan

• 2 weeks later...

I think i'm going to use that toed up pattern for any weight yarn. I cant get any yarn for socks now the only one i can get is I have joannes, michaels and wal mart and t hey have the sportweight, baby yarn, and micro spun from lion brand so i'm going to use the crochet socks pattern for any type of yarn. For future use would those three types of yarn work with that book I have. If not i'm willing to give that book away.

I think i'm going to use that toed up pattern for any weight yarn. I cant get any yarn for socks now the only one i can get is I have joannes, michaels and wal mart and t hey have the sportweight, baby yarn, and micro spun from lion brand so i'm going to use the crochet socks pattern for any type of yarn. For future use would those three types of yarn work with that book I have. If not i'm willing to give that book away.

Terrific Thong sock calls for ww yarn, at least as far as I can figure out cascade 220 is ww yarn. Harlequin cables calls for a sport weight yarn which you should be able to find something like that in the stores. I'm pretty sure most of the others socks call for sock yarns.

If you have a local yarn store that's the best place to get sock yarn. If not there are lots of places online to get affordable sock yarn.

I'd make a few more pairs of socks using some of the patterns online before you pass on your copy of the sock book. Once you get the hang of making socks you might find that you really like it and and want to make socks with sock yarn.

i would like to join but i just started crocheting and dont know how to make a sock. i tried to make hats for my kids and it didnt work for me. i could use some advise if you wouldn't mind.

Thank you,

Rene

You might want to do some refreshing time with a couple of learning sites

http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?type_id=S

Annie's has good diagrams and such to learn some simple skills

Crochet cabana has good information to help you get going as well.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/index.htm

Socks per se are not all that difficult to make but you need certain basic skills to make them happen.

Crochet pattern Central also has a page of links to help you

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/instruction_directory.php

i would like to join but i just started crocheting and dont know how to make a sock. i tried to make hats for my kids and it didnt work for me. i could use some advise if you wouldn't mind.

Some tips:

If the pattern has a gauge do a gauge swatch and go up or down a hook size as necessary to get the right gauge.

If the pattern calls for a certain yarn make sure you are using that yarn or an appropriate substitute.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived