Socks-a-long?

ChristinaCrochets

I am soooo not going there.

I just had to knit an inch with 3.75 mm needles and it was all I could do to stand it. :thair And that is easier than crocheting with fine stuff.

lol see I first learned to crochet when I was real small and my mom only had tiny steel hooks and thread, so its just what I got used to then when I learned how to knit I was more comfortable with smaller needles (favs are 5 and under...mostly my 3's thu) so of course my fav thing to make has always been socks

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I learned with a steel hook and thread as well but that was long before arthritis hit and my fingers either don't bend well or won't unbend. Like I said - not going there.

I am going to see what I can do with another try after January. it seems my entire life is on hold until January :wlol

Well, since I signed up for this I've got to start mine soon since all my warm socks are in KY. However, I showed my fiancee a pair of slippers and now he wants them instead.

http://tncrochetlady.tripod.com/archives/id38.html

At least now I can wait from him to get home to make them and I can make the socks for myself since I can measure my own feet! Or just make some baby socks for the future... Hmmm... Oh the possibilties!! :hook

lol lol ya thats what stopped my sock knitting streak early this year. I had 23 pairs made I think then *** time to stop that and visit the doctor. but amazingly crochet has never bothered my fingers since.

I used to switch between the 2 when different parts of my hands and wrists were hurting, but I have been mostly crocheting for a few months now again and I have nit had one issue with my hands/fingers/wrists. so weird

Kiwi, I love that pattern but I'm not sure it would be very warm. I think it would be a hoot to make though

From September to about the end of April, my entire existence is all about being warm. :wlol

But we all need a goal in life... warm is my goal :wbrr

I did not use a pattern I just made a chain measured it around my ankle (these are for my mom and we wear the same size) then went round and round, then added elastic and Voila

Thanks! Going to bookmark your blog. I'll try to get started on them tomorrow.

Lindsay, your socks are tube socks then? That would likely work better than putting in a heel. Maybe the next set...

yes because I was to lazy to sit down and figure out a pattern that would work for both my mom and sister, so this way when they open their packages they can trade if they dont like the color they get. My mom wears the same size as me so those are easy but my sisters feet are much smaller.

plus lol I dont have alot of time til xmas lol and this is the first xmas item I have started lol

but bith were asking for yet another pair of socks or slippers (last year everyone got both)

This looks like a good pattern for a sock. she also has a template to use to determine other sizes

http://www.crochetandknitting.com/socks.htm

Why can't I let this go? :bang

I made my pair of socks.

Just step away from the yarn Dar... let it go...:hook:lol

oh wow! that looks similar to how I make mine.

hehe great minds think alike. lol

I spot quite a few difference just skimming it over thu.

looks great

Well I finally have the hat and scarf set and the hat a couple of girls from my class paid for done and even a hat a Christmas gift! Yay me! :yay Ok. So I'm not that far ahead for christmas but still... something is better than nothing and now I have an excuse to make something for me with some yarn that I just had to buy because it was pretty and on sale! Yay sales! :jumpyay

So now, I just have to find a pretty pattern for socks and make some. Now I can't decide if I want to make baby socks for my sister's baby-in-the-making or socks for me... or both.... Hmmm....

Finished my first sock! It's a little roomy, but hopefully will shrink a teeny bit when I was and dry it. Have to buy another skein of yarn to do the other one though.

The next pair I do will be with that fuzzy yarn, not fur but the terry/chenille type.

I'm working on the cuff of the sock in that ribbing pattern where you sc in the back look only and I really really love that look. This is making me want to buy more of this yarn and make a pillow out of it later on.:hook

Oh no! I just realized that somewhere I lost 2 stitches. Grrr... :angry I forgot how long sc takes also. This cuff is giving me a headache. :(

Tried it again after frogging everything and deciding to make a smaller cuff since I prefer shorter sock cuffs and I still managed to loose stitches! Time to try another pattern and hope these work better!

Got some Patons Be Mine half price at a variety store in a small town about an hour from here. I was on my way home from an overnight trip for work. I'm gonna try a pair of socks with it, even though I haven't bought another skein of the cool crochet in black to make my second sock for my first pair.

Did you like the cool crochet? I keep looking at it but never pick it up. are there pros, are there cons?

It's quite easy to crochet with. Took most of one skein to do a sock using a 2.5mm hook. It's got a bit of a sheen to it but does get snagged once in awhile if you're not real careful. I'm happy with the results so far, but need to make the second sock before I can wear them. I'll let you know.

I have a pattern tutorial that I had gotten from crocheted socks group but I was wondering what kind of yarn can i use. I guess I am going to go and try one pair and see what happens with that tutoiral but I did what they suggested but I guess they wanted me to use double knit yarn and i have worsted weight. Can I use worsted weight to make socks? If so I would like to join and make a pair of socks please.

I have a pattern tutorial that I had gotten from crocheted socks group but I was wondering what kind of yarn can i use. I guess I am going to go and try one pair and see what happens with that tutoiral but I did what they suggested but I guess they wanted me to use double knit yarn and i have worsted weight. Can I use worsted weight to make socks? If so I would like to join and make a pair of socks please.

Sur you can use worsted weight. they will ne a heavier sock, more os a slipper socks, but sometimes those are the best ones! I have made several pair on worsted!

yarn weight is your preference on what you want the final "fabric" to feel like

Got some Patons Be Mine half price at a variety store in a small town about an hour from here. I was on my way home from an overnight trip for work. I'm gonna try a pair of socks with it, even though I haven't bought another skein of the cool crochet in black to make my second sock for my first pair.

The Be Mine is hard to work with. I tried with a 4.5mm hook, but it's almost impossible to find the loops, I'll try a 5 or 5.5mm hook to see if it's any better. The yarn is so soft, I know socks would be awesome made with it. Just have to wait til dh wakes up, he worked the night shift and should be up soon.

Archived