Doilies

Lillie

I'm not big on doilies.

But they patterns are so often interesting!

So I make them then I don't know what to do with them!

Here are a couple I made a while ago.

They are both done in cotton thread, and were done with a 1.75mm hook (or thereabouts) I'm sorry, I do not know the letter equivalent for this size.

This one is about 16 inches diameter. A nice wheat ear design I got off an old pattern.

wheateardoilie.jpg

This one is about 12 inches diameter, and I got the pattern from a monthly magazine which always has nothing but doilies and tale cloths init, but which is the only crochet mag I can find in Britain!

And with this I got the pattern wrong on the first rows. I missed a stich somewhere and didn't notice!:eek In the centre there should be 12 sections. Somehow I missed one and there are only 11. But it still worked out OK.

crochetdoilie.jpg

They are pretty, I just wish I knew what to do with them.:lol

Both are very pretty. You did a great job. :cheer I have 2 aunts and a few freinds who will gladly take my doilies, so think about gifts. Maybe put one on display in your living room for guests to see and then see what they say, if they say, I've always wanted a handmade doily, you have receiver for a doily.

You can also frame doilies. I've saw that.

Debbi

Oh dear. We havn't got a doily type home.

The dining table is now the computer table and the main feature in the room is a disassembled motorbike, with an assortment of parts crowding out every spare space.

Except for the places where my yarns, materials and sewing machine live.

I stole the work bench from hubby and clamped my sewing machine to the top of it! :D

Apart from that we have cushions on the floor where we sit!

But framing them is a nice idea.

Debbi. You want one?

You got one.

Which one would you like?

PM me and tell me your address and I'll send it on to you.

No probs.

Like I say, I enjoy the making, but then...... :shrug:

I was going to suggest framing, also - or incorporating into other fabric / fiber work (quilting? Cushions?) - your doilies are beautiful, they should be seen and enjoyed :)

At least you are lucky enough to get a crochet magazine - I've never seen one here!

-- Michelle

the work is great.

if you have no one to give them to you could always join in a few exchanges, only not doiley ones (as you dont want doileys back in return!) so say you join the holiday exchange, you could put in a doiley with everything else and send to your partner. sell them at markets/fairs/ebay/etsy. enter them in fairs, you might win somethin!

I was going to suggest framing, also - or incorporating into other fabric / fiber work (quilting? Cushions?) - your doilies are beautiful, they should be seen and enjoyed :)

At least you are lucky enough to get a crochet magazine - I've never seen one here!

-- Michelle

Michelle, I had to ASK my newsagency to get some. I can now buy Crochet World (USA), and Crochet Monthly( UK). Then there are the knitting mags which I bought one of each yesterday. All contained at least one crochet pattern. Creative Knitting (Aus), Yarn (Aus) and Simply Knitting (UK). You can buy new and used mags at www.crochetaustralia.com.au as well

Beautiful job. I particularly like the first one (I love wheat doilies). :c9

And with this I got the pattern wrong on the first rows. I missed a stich somewhere and didn't notice! In the centre there should be 12 sections. Somehow I missed one and there are only 11. But it still worked out OK.

I've done several patterns that didn't quite add up, i.e. I had fewer repeats that the original, either because I missed something or because the pattern itself was wrong. One pattern in particular I've done twice... I must've recounted 22 times to make sure, but I couldn't find anything wrong and still ended up with 19 repeats instead of 20, so I gave up and always make that pattern with 19 repeats now (because in most cases you can't tell). I sure couldn't tell yours was missing something. It looks perfect to me! :hook

Thank you all for your kind comments.

I have never thought of selling doilies.

I'll have to consider it.

The magazine I get occassionally, and the only one I ever see, is Crochet monthly.

It's always doilies or table cloths in it.

It would be nice if they had some other stuff in it too, like colourful hats and scarves.

I do rather like the idea of framing them.

I really think I might try that.

They are wonderful!! Great work, I LOVE doilies, and make alot myself, my home looks like an old time home with all my doilies..lol...and I keep making them. GREAT WORK!

Archived