How do YOU spell it?

Shell

Oh the arguments dh and I have over the english language. My kids are becoming "bilingual" in both types of english. Ds knows you can drink tea and it is also something you eat in the evening (ie.: supper).

Here are some of the British and Canadian words:

lemonade, UK = lemon lime carbonated beverage like Sprite or 7-Up or a general name for all pop/soda

CAD= sweetened lemon juice

skip, UK = big metal box that you put garbage in (ie.: a dumpster to me)

CAD = jumping up and down over a rope

tip, UK = a garbage dump or landfill or a mess ("this room is a tip!")

CAD= the end of something

Ah the dangerous one if you have kids....

pavement, UK= the sidewalk

CAD = the paved road or parking lot (car park if you are british)

I moved from Canada to a british base and was always saying and doing stupid things because I had know idea what words meant. Other Canadian wives do the same. One lady told her husband they needed to get suspenders for their toddler because his pants kept falling down. When he finally stopped laughing he explained that in the UK suspenders were a garter belt and they called the things that held your pants up braces. You get used to getting laughed at and now dh is moving to Canada to settle so I will have the last laugh:lol .

Rachel

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Doily, doilies

Am I the only american who uses the U in colour and humour? I always thought that was how to spell it and am always having to correct it in word processing programs. Guess I read too much Brit Lit growing up?

doily, doilies for me

I love reading British novels that they don't americanize and especially if there is lots of slang.

If others are really into the English language there are a few books out by Bill Bryson: Mother Tongue and Made in America. They are easy reads and a fun look a the English language.

Archived