How do YOU spell it?

Shell

I have always written "doiley" and after reading some 1930-60's magazines I found that they wrote "doyley". Here in Crochetville I have seen a few other ways as well. So, here is a poll to see how you refer to this staple crochet item!

IF, by chance, you spell it different again to anything listed please PM me, I will add it to the poll and you can then respond to the poll like everyone else :)

ugh! the poll still didn't add :angry

There was going to be;

Doyley

Doiley

Doily

Doylie

Doilie

Doyly

I should add that dictionary.com only recognise 3 of the above spellings!

I just received "Weldon's Practical Needlework" from Interweave Press and they spelled it D'Oyley and it was made with macrame lace in the volume 2 book I have. The old patterns are really interesting if rather impossible to figure out. Thy didn't have any crocheted doilies (how I spell it) in this one book I have.

The english language is always changing. My husband is British and many of the words we use are totally different. In England they spell aluminum aluminium and pronounce the extra i so it is said aloomineum. I say aloominum. My husband also says aeroplane and thought didn't realize we say airplane in Canada. I could go on but you get the point.

Canadian crochet patterns used to follow UK terms apparently too.

HTH

Rachel

I just received "Weldon's Practical Needlework" from Interweave Press and they spelled it D'Oyley and it was made with macrame lace in the volume 2 book I have. The old patterns are really interesting if rather impossible to figure out. Thy didn't have any crocheted doilies (how I spell it) in this one book I have.

The english language is always changing. My husband is British and many of the words we use are totally different. In England they spell aluminum aluminium and pronounce the extra i so it is said aloomineum. I say aloominum. My husband also says aeroplane and thought didn't realize we say airplane in Canada. I could go on but you get the point.

Canadian crochet patterns used to follow UK terms apparently too.

HTH

Rachel

haha!! Rachel I am aussie so to me aloomineum and aeroaplane are what we say. Just like spelling colour and neighbour as opposed to color and neighbor. If you ask me, the American's just got lazy and started dropping letters! lol. (joking people, joking..) Dont even get me started on slang, it opens a new can of worms entirely. But it most certainly appears the Aussie way to spell it was Doyley. I have a 1935 pattern for a doiley and they don't even give a pattern! Just a pic and a caption saying something like "the pic should be enough to follow". Pfft... sure. English is a funny lil language and certainly isn't in any way "standard"!

And yet another vote for: Doily/Doilies

The english language is always changing. My husband is British and many of the words we use are totally different. In England they spell aluminum aluminium and pronounce the extra i so it is said aloomineum. I say aloominum.

HTH

Rachel

LOL My cousin and I were watching a "behind the scenes" on a DVD and this guy was talking about the swords and weapons that were made for the movie. He was British and said "ala-min-eum" (that is how he pronounced it) and we looked at each other questioning and I even said "I never heard of that" LOL Then about 5 minutes later, we realized that he meant aluminum.

I felt pretty dumb, but we talked about it for weeks after because it was so funny :lol

:cheer Doily, Doilies, Aluminium (Pronounced Al u min eum)

Maybe the original Old English spelling of Doily was D"oyly, named for the person who invented the "Doily".

I just Googled and found, Doily or Doyly and it said "Small lacy mat or napkin, named after Robert D'oyly an English Draper.

Here is the link.

http://www.bartleby.com/cgi-bin/texis/webinator/ahdsearch?search_type=enty&query=Doily&db=ahd

The English language has changed over the years, then the US simplified the spelling of a lot of English words such as Favour to Favor, Flavour to Flavor, Colour to Color, Alumnium to Aluminum, etc etc. so it really depends where people get their original information from.

I guess the main thing is, we all know what we mean.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

I'm Japanese, so I spell it "doiry". :lol:lol:lol

Seriously, I see it spelled that way often enough in Japanese crochet books.

I spell it the same way as everyone said.

Oh man! I just spit pop (soda, coca cola) all over!! I might have peed a little too but I have to stop laughing to find out!

:rofl :rofl :haha :haha :laughroll :laughroll

I'm a doily/doilies. Thought I'd see what good ol' Noah Webster wrote in 1828. There is no listing for the plural, but the definition was worth a smile. Here's the online link to his 1828 dictionary:

http://65.66.134.201/cgi-bin/webster/webster.exe?search_for_texts_web1828=doily

:lol This is cute. Here's what the first part of the definition says:

1. A species of woolen stuff, said to be so called from the first maker.

Sort of makes it sound like the name came down from God or something, doesn't it? :lol

As I said earlier, I have many old Aussie mags in both my own collection and those I can see in the museum, and it appears Aussie's spelt it Doyley back then. I have seen a D'Oyly in the odd place too now that you mention it. It's pretty interesting huh. For such a small yet essential item in crochet that it has so many names!

:cheer Remember, Doilies were probably made out of woven fabric before they were made in crochet or knitting.

There is even an item on the internet about a paper Doily Factory.

Here is the link.

http://stunned.net/dirt-cove/history.html

Thought it would be interesting.

Have fun.

Colleen.

Archived