shawl

Yammy

Now that my secret pal has received her goodie I wanted to post this up.

The raw silk is something I picked up on ebay. There's a bit of a story here to tell about it. First it comes and it's a dull ugly brown paperbag color, it feels like thin jute. I was thinking things like: ok, this will make alot of purses, there's about 2,000 yds per skein. So I contacted the seller after reading the comments from others, someone mentioned conditioning of the yarn, hmmmm, maybe that will help. I went ahead and used kool aid as a dye. Silk is a bit different then wool but it takes dye very nicely. After dying I went upstairs to the bathroom and grabbed my hair conditioner and slathered it on the wet jute like silk. It instantly soaked up every bit of it and became so soft and silky. After the silk was dry it was time to ball it up. What a tangled impossible mess but I am a very patient woman and I got it done.

I followed the pattern from SnB for the most part but gauge was a bit off, using a size 2 steel hook as it made the stitches look the best I went ahead and did it. I love the drape and the color, when on it looks very spider web like. I thought it would be perfect for my pal as she works part time as a bartender and I remember from working in clubs that it's always a bit too warm. She said it was perfect! Still waiting to see it on her but here's a pic of it before I finished weaving the ends and putting a small button closure on it.

DSCF0349.jpg

Wow! That is so beautiful.:c9 ...your Secret Pal is a very lucky woman, you did an extraordinary job:cheer :cheer :cheer ! Very interesting about conditioning the silk......something to keep in mind!:yes Thanks for sharing your photo and your experience!:hug Also; did you say where you got this amazing pattern? I am sorry if I missed it.........

Very pretty!

That's the project I just started but I'm using a quick crochet cotton. So far I like how it's working up. I can't wait to get to the finished project.

I really enjoyed doing the jacket and it really is sooo soft. I have some silk ready and dyed for me to make one for myself. I like that it's not too warm and for me it would be an all season sweater. Hot flashes gotta love em!

Thanks all for the wonderful encouragement and kind words.

Archived