Frogging for no valid mature reason?

Hey, me, too. The other thing that happens to me is that I fall in love with the yarn at the store, but fall out of love with it as I'm using it. :P Makes me question my taste and my sanity. The last time this happened, I bought some yarn with a big-deal brand name (deeply discounted because my LYS is going out of business) and I proceeded to make a batwing shawl. Suddenly I realized how really fugly the yarn was. I had no desire to do anything else with it, so I finished the shawl and gave it away. I'm currently making a Seraphina with the new SS Shadows in red; now I wish I'd made it in black. Never satisfied, I guess.

I never thought of donating it or anything like that. I do have a sweater where the sleeves are horrible yuk... I have one I'm thinking of finishing into a vest, I never did the sleeves, sort of made it up and used odd colors. But it looks good as a vest, just need to finish it.

Debbi

I had no idea what that meant. I think the explanation I found was rip-it, rip-it. I kept thinking it meant f*ing ripped out ....something. How about the term fropping. f*ing ripped out project. :lol Potty mouth me, I know.

Oh yes, I have done that. Last 'big' thing that I remember was an intricate shell pattern afghan that looked lovely in the book, but it didn't 'grow' fast enough for my liking. It got so that I hated picking it up to work on, so I undid it and started a pinwheel afghan. Course, I haven't touched that in months now, but I am not going to undo all those pinwheels :D

if I really want to try a new pattern, especially an afghan or shawl, I will make a small, say 6x6 inch square of the pattern and leave it at that. Then file the sample in the folder with the pattern, so I know what it looks like when I have done it. That said, I then feel like I have 'done' the afghan and will probably never make the full size one. oops :blush

Oh too funny!:lol I have FROGGED a few projects already. I almost frogged my latest creation when I was putting finishing touches on it (a black shawl). It was pretty, but I wasn't sure it was what I wanted.

Ooohhhh :blush

I must confess... I made an afghan... if I can find the book I'll show ya sometime LOL, but it was a flag afghan, made up of a bunch'a other smaller flags...

I spent 3 WEEKS making the pieces, FINISHED them... didn't like the way they pieced them together in the book, so I tried every possible layout with them (like 36 of these babies!)... asked for opinions from hubby.. kids, everyone! For TWO WEEKS I worked on a layout, still not happy, I put it in a bag & put it away. A while later, maybe 3 months, decided I didn't want to be bothered with trying to come up with something & to this days I've undone & re-wound about ½ of it, the rest still sits in the bag waiting for it's turn at the yarn winder! :ha

I do this all the time and I do guilt free! This is my hobby and it is supposed to be FUN....when it becomes a source of stress and problems something is wrong someplace!:yes Follow your heart and crochet what makes you happy......that is the reason you are crocheting in the first place...isn't it?

YOU ARE SO RIGHT! I love the way you put that. :)

I've done this with many an item. Usually I jsut get bored with it or worse left it aside so long i forgot whay I was doing it and figured why waste the yarn.

My most recent forgging escapade was for differnet reasons. I did this four times to one scarf I was making with scarp yarn. I kept making it too wide and it was not going to be long enough so I would frog it and start over. The finished project turned out great, but what a pain.

• 3 weeks later...

I've done this quite a few times. I think I just get bored really, really fast, and I don't want to have another WIP kicking around. I've decided that I'm really good at starting new projects, but actually completing them is another story. I tend to do the first few rows of a project, decide I don't want to do it, and frog it. I suppose I should just start crocheting gauge squares instead of going into the project right off, but the real thing is so much more fun.

I just learned to knit 2 years ago and I sought out to learn the most difficult knitting techniques asap. One such technique was double knitting. You knit with one color and purl with the other color, creating a reversible pattern that is a negative of the front.

I was all excited and I was going to do a hat in black and white yarn and I got out my size 7 circular needle and I drew up a neat geometric pattern.... etc. I got 2 inches into it and set it down for a year and a half. The hat was going to be way bigger than any head I know, and the 7 needle was way smaller than I had patience to work with in double knitting (twice as much work!), and plus once I set it down for more than a day I forgot what sequence I was working in. Also I just wanted to use my circular 7 again. The knitted piece is still sitting in the bag sans needle. Too bad. It would have been awesome.

I'll roll it back up some other time.

I do this a LOT. I mainly do it b/c I've only been crocheting for about two months and I want to try EVERYTHING. I'll see a pattern with a technique I've never tried and I'll start the pattern. Once I see that I can do whatever it is, I'll stop and either rip it or trash it. I guess I probably won't be growing out of this habit based on the responses I see. LOL

I have a hemp bag that only needs a couple of rows to finish. I hate the way it looks and I plan on frogging it, but I can't even get motivated to do that. So it sits, waiting for something to happen.

Rosemary

I have a "frogging confession" - I was visiting in-laws for the holidays, a 7 day visit is a long time for me, I thought I had enough crocheting projects to keep me busy, BUT I didn't and around the 5th day I ran out of yarn, so I kept crocheting and ripping the same piece over and over, because I had no yarn left...and I needed to crochet to keep sane! Crochet 20 rows, rib 20 rows, over and over....no one caught on because they don't crochet/knit.

I'm guessing everyone has frogged more than one project if you've been crocheting very long at all... probably for many different reasons.

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever began a project and even though you had no problems with the pattern, the project was going just fine, even looking good, when you realized you just didn't WANT to make it. If so, did you drop it completely? And how far along have you been into it when you frogged it?

I'm asking cause I've just started a Christmas afghan, and the squares are turning out fine, the pattern isn't hard, but I realized I just don't want to make it. The thing is, I've put a few hours into it already, and I'm feeling seriously guilty for thinking about dropping it for something else.

Thanks,

Angel

ROTFLMBO all the time!!!!

actually right now the yarn I am using for this shawl right now was once many things...knit socks, crochet socks...well and i dont remember any of the others but those were the latest 2.

for me its finding that perfect yarn for the pattern.

I just frogged an entire afghan !!!! I didn't like the size and I tried to enlarge it, and , I frogged it !!! I was a tunisian afghan that I was going to cross stitch a deer head on for a special cousin. Anyway, it's frogged and I will start over when my new hooks come in. (They're larger).

• 2 weeks later...
Ok---confession of my own. I don't always frog them and start over. I have just snipped the yarn and thrown the entire thing in the trash. I have done this regardless of whether or not I like the yarn.

I'll admit, I have done that! :eek Especially if it has been a specialty yarn that is hard to frog. Although, the more expensive the yarn, the less likely I am to frog it. :hook

I actually made a shawl to wear to a cousin's wedding. I finished it 2 hours before we had to be at the church! I wore it, and then THE NEXT DAY frogged it and started on a new project.

Of course, I'm now not liking the new project, so I'll probably frog that too.:rolleyes

I've done it, but never toooooo far into it.

Why don't you put it down and use the squares for something else?

And there are always requests for charity squares - i'm sure they won't go to waste.

I had no idea what that meant. I think the explanation I found was rip-it, rip-it. I kept thinking it meant f*ing ripped out ....something. How about the term fropping. f*ing ripped out project. :lol Potty mouth me, I know.

Oh, oh yes, that is the best new word I've heard in years. If I'm happy to abandon something, I will frog. If it's because of a problem, I'll be fropping it from now on

Oh my....are you kidding? I do this all the time...In fact I think I have about 14 projects in a bag...hahaha a few of them I will eventually finish but others I frog and use the yarn again.

I think what happens with me is I see another pattern that looks so much better or I get bored with the one I'm working on because I keep thinking about the other one I want to start...finally I say to heck with it and start the one I want to work on....:lol :lol :lol :lol

In fact I did this very thing this week...I'm working on a Kittens in a row afghan and a striped pattern for another afghan popped into my head...just couldn't take it so I started it last night...hahaha It's stripes in dark brown, med brown, beige, light blue, yellow, and melon.

Linda :think

Archived