Cold Shoulders Capelet @ Tea

Miss USA

Every year in September, the women in my family attend tea in the gardens of Ardenwood Farms in Fremont, California. This is a tradition of ours, and every year, for some reason, I must go as if I stepped out of a 1950's time warp. This year I went with fall colours and made the Cold Shoulders Capelet to match my outfit. I used wool rather than mohair because these colours were just too perfect. It was a smash hit!!!

wool.jpg

coldshoulders1.jpg

capelet3.jpg

capelet.jpg

My mother wore a shawl she made in the early 1970's and it smelled like a musty old closet, I said, "you pulled this out of the drawer and it was in there for years, didnt you?" She said, "Oh no, you can tell?" :lol I said, "Yeah- it smells!" Grandma, wore a shawl she made many years ago as well, but hers was... ahem.... knit.

usattea.jpg

My cousin Janet is getting married next month, and I plan to make her this in white. Maybe a few teensy pearls throughout.... my creative wheels are spinning!

That is cute. I loved the pictures.

I knit too so don't put me down please. I love to crochet too.

I love all the outfits you ladies worn. I bet you all had a ball. PINKROSES

beautiful caplet, love the colors. i wish we had a tradition like that, it would be nice to share a tea with only the women. :yes

i made a caplet similar to yours, but all in purple, i have no idea why i picked that color, i guess i just wanted to practice making caplets. :hook

thanks for sharing, great job, and great pictures.:tup

Wow! You look fabulous! Those beads and the hat really make the outfit along with your pretty shawl. You really pulled off that 50's look. I'll bet you were the best looking attendee at the tea party!:)

Oh how pretty it turned out! My DD has asked for that cape, so it's on my list, using Caron Bliss (hope that works).

It looks like your fam had a wonderful time! What a kewl tradition.:)

Wow! Love it! Yours look so much better than the one in the S&B book that now I want to try it.

Is your wool considered to be WW? How many skeins did you use?

Thanks for sharing your story and wonderful photos.

I had to buy 3 of those balls of yarn, but have practically one whole one left. I am not sure what weight it was as I have thrown away the label :think I think it was medium, but not sure.

Archived