2007 Red Scarf Project - CAL

CrochetCronies

I have really been wanting to try Patons SWS and there is one called natural earth that has some reds in it ... I think I will do one in that yarn, and one in Lion Suede ... with garnet and either a mocha or taupe stripe, I think those will be pretty unisex ... can't wait to get started!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used Bernat Denim Style last year. DH saw the scarves, mentioned that they were nice and soft, asked if one was for him, I said no, he pouted (just a little). Poor guy. This year I'll make sure one is for him. :wcold

Count me in too, and Mom. I'm having my wisdom teeth removed in early December and have saved my sick time for that. Mom is coming for the holidays this year, and she'll be needing some projects to keep her hands busy. This is a lot smaller and might accomodate an achy head and jaw better than a Project Linus blanket. Plus I have some leftover skeins (complete ones) of Homepsun from other projects that would make nice, neutral scarves. Thanks for posting the link to the website!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had a bit of an epiphany this weekend and decided hey, I'm not going to crochet gifts for family this year. Too stressful--since I hadn't started yet!--and with a new baby there's less time. (They all got scarves last year anyway.) I just want to work on a few projects and not feel like I HAVE to get a lot of things finished.

What this means of course is more time to make scarves for this project!

So I went through my stash and found some Wool-Ease in Camel, Red, Black, and Chestnut Heather which I think will make a good unisex scarf. I think I will use Camel as the main color and put in stripes of the others. I'm going to look through my books and see if I can find a stitch pattern I want to use, otherwise I may just half-double it.

Well, I started my first scarf yesterday, just about finished. Will work on it again tonight and hopefully start on the 2nd one.

count me in, I love to do scarfs they are so quick

do we then submit them ourselves in january?

:hook Hi and yes you do have to send them to the organization in January. When it gets closer to the deadline they will post more information. Here are some links below for more information. The 2nd link provides a look at what other people are working on so far. Plus if you have a blog, they've got really cool blog buttons! :yes

http://orphan.org/carepackages.xhtml

http://nownormaknits2.typepad.com/red_scarf_project_2007/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm in!! I luv this project!! :clap

Here's a copy of the guidelines.

Scarf guidelines:

• Size: approximately 60” long and 5” to 8” wide. Scarves should be long enough to be wrapped around the neck with tails long enough to be tied in the front.
  • Style: Think unisex collegiate. Fringe optional. Should drape, tie easily and be soft.
  • Color: Red! This could mean burgundy, cherry, russet, red stripes with other colors, multicolor hues including red. Other unisex colors, including black, navy, gray, teal, olive or gold, are also welcome to be included.

• Finished & tagged: Yarn ends securely sewn in.For the personal touch, attach a tag saying “Handmade for You” with your first name, city, and group affiliation, if any. Donors have also included washing instructions, messages of encouragement, and gift cards/burger bucks/book of stamps.

I'm in! I had already completed a red-and-blue striped scarf before I came across this CAL, and I'm in the middle of a red-and-grey striped one. I'm keeping them simple -- J hook, half-double throughout -- so I can try to get several done in time.

I'm thinking about donating them on behalf of my parents and stepparents, in lieu of making separate gifts for them. After all, I just gave everyone scarves last year, so it's a little soon to be giving them more... and I don't have enough time to make anything much larger than that, what with final exams and all. And I think this is a project all my folks could get behind.

Oh, Molly, you're so wrong. Your scarves are just as exciting as any other...and just as pretty. :cheer I love Simply Soft yarn too and the colors of SS you used are beautiful. Two college-bound teens are going to be very happy to receive these scarves.

:) Thanks everyone. The yarn I used is varigated- Simply Soft Shadows Autumn color. I started working this one the other direction and ended up frogging it when I realized that the varigation would reach a full row.

Molly- I think that your two scarves are beautiful! :clap I would be thrilled to own one myself.

Ooh, I love all three scarves. I finished my third scarf on Friday, and am going to start another tonight. I realized I have 3/4 skeins of Homespun in blue and off-white that are gender neutral, so that'll be the next one. What a great way this is to use up those leftover skeins that you know you'll never be able to match the dye lot to. It's made a tiny dent in my stash, which really needs to be dented. Patty

• 3 weeks later...

Archived