2007 Red Scarf Project - CAL

CrochetCronies

Thank you to SueBee42 for bringing this great cause to my attention. Many of you on here have expressed interest in this cause and want to or are already doing it so I figured we could all do it together to have that extra little push and maybe get a few more scarves out than we would have otherwise.

The original thread started by SueBee42 can be found HERE

The Official Info Page (in PDF format) is HERE

Also, andiM gave us THIS LINK with some addtional information and a place to get buttons.

Like I said, I thought a CAL would be a great idea for this cause to maybe get some more people intersted in it and get a few more scarves going.

My personal goal is one scarf a month until January when they need to be sent. So at least 4 or 5 scarves.

WHO IS WITH ME? :clap

Here are a bunch of patterns to start off with

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in on this CAL! It's a great great cause (I'm a college student and a few of my good friends benefit directly from projects by this organization) and I just finished the newbie CAL. Can someone recommend a "unisex" pattern that works up pretty quickly? Also, I'm clueless about any yarn besides red heart ss... what yarn does everyone like to use for scarves that's really soft? and it's any shade of red right?

I'm with you! What a great cause!

I don't know how many scarves I can make before January but I suppose even one or two would be better than nothing! But I love making scarves and the thought that they're going for a good cause is very motivating! And that they have to be red is just more icing on the cake!

Can someone show me where on the site that it says they are in fact doing this again this year? I must be blind, because I can't find it - all the information looks like it was for January 2006. I heard about this about this a while ago and sent them an email but did not receive a reply. I'd love to do it, but want to make sure they are doing it again.

Thanks!!

Let's see it's the holidays coming up...

Probably the busiest time of the year for me.

Oh well...I'm in. :D One scarf a month for the next four months.

Can someone recommend a "unisex" pattern that works up pretty quickly?

Scarves are simple and quick. I haven't tried this one, but this one should work up quickly.

http://homespunjenn.blogspot.com/2005/10/some-patterns.html

And of course you can use any combination of colors. I'm thinking maybe a red and black. I love red and pink together, but that might be too feminine.

Count me in! I should(hopefully), be able to crank out four scarves by January.

Crochet Cronies - I just did one in LB Homespun in Antique Red for myself..it's so soft! Time to go out and get more, I guess!

Count me in also. Love to make these, simple ones out there and lots of yarn to choose from.

Yarns I have used and have been very happy with the results:

• Soft & lofty
  • Homespun
  • RH Super Saver
  • Lion Brand Colorwaves
  • Any Boucle

I have found that depending on the size of the skein, you can make at least one with a skein.

Pattern used is alternating a SC row, then a row of DC until skein runs out.

I will often use the hook recommend on the wrapper.

:manyheart

Kelly

I'm totally in! I'll commit to at least one a month, hopefully more. What an awesome charity. I had some friends growing up that were in foster care, and two of them were lucky enough to stay with their families, but one was kicked out on his 18th birthday. Awful.

Geek'sGirl -

Yeah, pretty much. This was back in the 90's, before there were ANY programs to help foster kids transition to adult life. So many just wound up kicked out at age 18. My friend actually thought it would be a good idea to rob a store and get caught, so at least he'd go to jail and have a place to stay.

Luckily, we were able to talk him out of that bright idea. He stayed with friends while he finished up high school, then was able to move in with his girlfriend's family for awhile. I lost track of him after that, but saw him a few years later; he was married with a baby on the way and had a decent job, so at least his story didn't have a tragic ending. But he was really, really smart, and could have gone far with the right family behind him.

You can count me it. I think I can definitely make at least one a month from now until January. This seems like a very good cause. I actually picked up some red fleck Woolease that was on clearance after I saw the original post about this. I plan on picking up some homespun too...I just love it for making scarves.

I'm with you! What a great cause!

I don't know how many scarves I can make before January but I suppose even one or two would be better than nothing! But I love making scarves and the thought that they're going for a good cause is very motivating! And that they have to be red is just more icing on the cake!

I dont think they HAVE to be Red... They picked red because they give them out around valentines day. The site says any unisex color is welcome.

I've already completed 1 black & White scarf... and have another B & W in the works.

I dont think they HAVE to be Red... They picked red because they give them out around valentines day. The site says any unisex color is welcome.

I've already completed 1 black & White scarf... and have another B & W in the works.

Thanks for clarifying that they don't have to be red for me too - I had been looking around to find a good "unisex" shade of red... :) Black and white seems like a good idea as well. I'm trying to think of other unisex colors because my goal is to make 2 scarves and tomorrow I'm going shopping for all the yarn I will be using for the rest of the year.

prpl4me - yes, you can mail directly to them. If you go back to the first message in this thread, CrochetCronies has the link for the official site where you can get their address. It's at the bottom of page two.

Archived