Washing large afghans**pics of afghan**

Hello everyone. I don't have a picture of this up yet. But today I recieved a very large (king size plus) ripple red white and blue afghan through freecycle. Still in terrific condtion. But for piece of mind I wanna wash this before I start using it. Does anyone have any tips for washing and drying this monster?

Ok well I have the washing part done. Now I am drying this huge thing. Once thats done I'll post some pictures along with measurements.

I knew it was ayrlic as soon as I touched it. That was not what I worried about. It was the size of the blanket and the strain on my washer.

:cheer Great find.:cheer

If you ever have doubt about something being clean, after you buy it, just put it into the freezer for a few days.

Good idea with childrens soft toys too, instead of washing.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

It is very pretty. I usually put mine in the washer. Even cotton crocheted bedspreads. They turn out ok. I don't wash the cotton one to much though.

Your blanket is very pretty.PINKROSES

Ga_ Rebel, that is beautiful.

We have a large capacity washer, so that would easily fit into ours. Before getting the washer, we used to have to take big, bulky items to the large machines at the laundramat.

If you ever have doubt about something being clean, after you buy it, just put it into the freezer for a few days.

Have fun.

'scuse my stupidity, Colleen, but what does that do? Is it supposed to kill the germs on the blanket or something?:huh

:cheer Freezing will kill most bugs and germs. Just put the item into a plastic bag, if you can find one big enough, or wrap in cling-wrap, so it does not stick to the sides of the freezer.

:think I dont think you are stupid at all.

We can all learn something new, everyday but we are not stupid just because we dont know.

Have fun.

THere is a part of me that feels bad about having it. When I went to pick it up the woman told me her husband's mother made it. I asked a few questions about it like if it was made with acrylic yarn or not. And they acted like they just didn't care. And it made me feel bad because I can see and tell a lot of love wnet into that blanket. Looks like it never left the trash bag I recieved it in.

'scuse my stupidity, Colleen, but what does that do? Is it supposed to kill the germs on the blanket or something?:huh

Our immunologist tells us to do this with my daughters soft toys to kill the dust mites etc as throwing them in the wash may damage them, but the mites etc trigger her asthma.. quick and easy :D

That afghan isnt large, it is hu - mongous!

I cant imagine how long each row across must have taken, and how many hours of work went into it, and how many balls of yarn. I wonder why it was made so enormously big??

That is a big blanket. I also wonder how long it took her just to do a row at a time. It's beautiful though. And how wonderful & special you must feel knowing that they passed it along to you.

jaye

I have friends who don't craft (crochet), one in particular she's my diet buddy. I send her pics of patterns that i've bought and get so excited about and she's like, "eh, yeah that's nice." :think I think its hard to get "worked up" about this stuff, if its not already "in there" (in us), so to speak. And those who don't crochet (or knit) dont realize the work, love, and patience that goes into a project that size. But, as one poster said, it now has a good loving home :)

Be careful what you throw into a "regular" washing machine! Especially large items like blankets can get caught on the agitator and torn apart. I have even seen a knit sweater ruined by the agitator in a washing machine.

I am very fortunate that I now own a front-loading machine. They tumble your clothes like a dryer does and are much gentler. If you ever need to wash something large like that again, I recommend you use a friend's or a laundromats front-loading machine to be on the safe side. :yes

Have fun.

People thought I was nuts when I put thrift store fur coats in the freezer (to be later used to make teddybears).

I also store my bird seed in the freezer to kill seed moths.

Archived