Don't let the title fool you....

Guest NCAugeriFan

Guest NCAugeriFan

I saw this at my grocery store while standing in the check out line and I bought it. It's the Better Homes & Gardens Learn to Crochet (the ultimate beginner's guide) January 2005. But it has some great projects for the intermediate level - ponchos, raglan hoodie (wovenlike sweatshirt can serve as a casual jacket or cozy top), a ribbed car coat, children's sweaters, pillows....nice. I'm looking forward to when I'm at the intermediate level! :yes

~cadie

this is gonna drive me nuts til I find a copy. Usually take awhile longer to hit the stores in Canada. :(

I checked a Walmart tonite and nada, zero, so the hunt is on now!!

man o man, my stores suck around here...lol.. My walmart does not carry any crochet books except the crochet world and they are always so late putting new ones out. I have checked other stores for crochet magazines and can never find them. You see lots of knit or quilting that is about it..

I found this at my grocery store a couple of weeks ago and snagged it!! It has some great patterns and I needed to learn Triple so this book helped learn that stitch as well. The flower in the back is really easy to make and looks great when rolled up!!

Mel

I must agree to this - this is indeed a great publication. I love the section on teaching granny square, which is one of my stumbling blocks. I have read through the instructions but haven't tried it out yet.

i FINALLY found this... to all you searching for it.. its NOT a full sized magazine... its a smaller one like 6X9 .. i had been looking for a big magazine and was going thru walmart last night and stunbled across it on the end of a potato chip stand in the middle of the aisle of all places LOL.. i *heart* this little magazine.. I am a seasoned crocheter.. and still find the white poncho every interesting and the granny square skirt very charming.. there are several patterns in there I am putting on the ever growing to do list !!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Has anyone done any of the patterns from this book, I love the book BTW

I am stuck on what appears in my reading to be an error in the pattern for the Ribbed car coat, has anyone made this sweater???Edited to add mine has a different cover pic my post in Crochet Help has the pic in it.:think

Edited to add I just realized this thread is from last spring I am questioning the

2006 spring edition

>> Has anyone done any of the patterns from this book, I love the book BTW

I am stuck on what appears in my reading to be an error in the pattern for the Ribbed car coat, has anyone made this sweater? <<

I bought this great little mag on a recent visit to HL and I am currently working on that same pattern -- the ribbed car coat on pg 67. Because I am allergic to wool, I am making it with Red Heart Grande.

What error have you found in the pattern? I am finishing up the body piece, so am not too far along -- but, so far no problems with it. I love doing the rib stitch and am looking forward to seeing the finished item. Please let me know where in the pattern you found the problem. Thanks.

What error have you found in the pattern? I am finishing up the body piece, so am not too far along -- but, so far no problems with it. I love doing the rib stitch and am looking forward to seeing the finished item. Please let me know where in the pattern you found the problem. Thanks.[/Quote]

I wasn't understanding the shaping on the sleeves, I posted my question in the Help area here and someone else told me to re-read the instructions ............duh and I did and I was missinterpreting that part the wording threw me. But once I understood it was to shape the sleeves it made sense.

I am mostly finished I didn't use the yarn called for I used a worsted weight acrylic. It is bulky enough, the guage swatch came out ok and so far the resizing I have done has worked out. I am no where near the medium the pattern is written for so I increased the body piece the one you are working on to fit around the wides part of my "chest" measurement.

I am finishing the front edges and collar then I will do the button holes, but first I must go shop for buttons. I will post a pic when I finish I have a few ends to sew in yet. Argh edited to add I went to the store, they only have 4 buttons, pattern calls for 5, will have to try another tomorrow

:hook

Oh, it looks wonderful -- great work, and I love the clean lines of it.

>> Ok I finished it I will call it the Michelin Man sweater way too bulky for me <<

I am using the Red Heart Grande in Linen color - I do not mind bulky jackets, though. I hope mine comes out looking as terrific as yours did. :-)

Archived