Crochet and motherhood!

The time when they are very small and needy flies by. Don't feel bad if at first you have no time at all to crochet. You won't be doing much of anything else either, like sleep, or shower! But next thing you know, they're bigger and need less of your time. As many others said, they inspire you, too. Many of my first projects when I started crocheting again were for my youngest daughter.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your new baby! It won't be long now, even though it may seem like the longest 4 weeks of your life!

Thanks for all your thoughts!

It's funny - I only learnt after telling my mother about my first crochet attempts that she too had taught herself to crochet while pregnant with me. :) Proof that there's some kind of natural crochet instinct? :D

3 weeks, 2 days and counting ...

hi there, a few days late, but seeing for the 1st time and I'd like to weigh in. I'm a SAHM of 3 girls, 5, 3, and 6 days away from 1!!! And, I have to say that I can only really crochet right now when the baby is asleep.... but she takes a good nap everyday, and is down by 7:30 every night, and I am also teaching my 5 year old how to crochet... so just remember about wanting to keep your creativity alive in your household... your child will inspire new ways of being creative in you, and maybe not so much in that 1st year, but as she grows you can expose her to and share so many things with her. Teaching her the skills you've acquired, and think of what fun it will be putting a paint brush in her hands for the first time, or fingerpainting, or handing her a crochet hook, and letting her choose her first skein of yarn to work with!!!!

Yesterday, my 5 year old picked her first skein of yarn at the store... watching her look at and feel all the different yarns was sooooo much fun for me!

Never worry that your child will take away your creative spirit... they are by nature curious and eager to experience everything around them, and how well prepared as a previously creative person you will be to meet that challenge!

• 1 month later...

I have a 2 yr old boy and a 7 week old girl. I am a work at home mom. My DH and I own our own business ( can you believe I actually want to add to it :think?) and I do all the administrative part of it. Crafting has kept me sane. I pick up and stop every chance I get. I also find that I've finished many more projects than before. During those moments when the whole world is driving me crazy, I hand the kids to my DH and lock myself in my room and just crochet. I don't care if I have to Frog it later, just feeling the yarn or thread moving through my fingers and the repetitive motion of the double crochet st calms me down :c9 and a few minutes later I'm back to being carefree me.

I also found that most of my projects were now for my kids instead of myself or others.

Daniel likes to grab a ball of yarn and a Q hook and "crochet" with me while I work on his blanket. Its a good way to show your kids the beauty of art in the world and that they can not only enjoy it but create it too.

Zoraida

aprendiendoquiensoy.blogspot.com

skirt 30% blanket 30%

diaperbag 30%

sweter/poncho 80%

oh i know what you mean. that hook in one hand and the yarn in the other and my mind just leaves what ever is bothering me...i always tell everyone that is not a hobby it is my stress relief!!!i can crochet at work during our down times and oh do i feel blessed to be able to....if i dont get to crochet at least a little everyday boy do i feel deprived. its almost like i didnt get to see my best friend.. i have to have yarn and my hooks with me everywhere i go just in case.. beth

My kids are teenagers now. I had learned how to crochet before they were born, and then picked it up after a year or two of staying home. And now for 14 years, I haven't stopped. Children grow so fast that it seems like only yesterday mine were just learning how to walk.

There are times when the children need you more, and then you naturally crochet less. And as they grow, you learn to adapt your time to crochet. I used to nap when they did, so then I never really got that peaceful time that others talk about. I learned to crochet at appointments, basketball games and practices, etc. Someone had mentioned to have a bag packed. I always have one in the car, just in case I get a few minutes, ie. waiting to pick up a child from some practice or meeting.

Enjoy your little one. They grow up too fast. My oldest is learning to drive and that's a whole new ballgame, and worries!

:manyheart

i'm a mother of 3 ages 17, 8 and 2. being a mom is a wonderful thing, congratulations. i enjoy crocheting as well as cross stitch since they are both "carry along" crafts. i can take them anywhere and even if i only have 5 minutes to spare, i feel i can be productive. unlike some other crafts, i don't feel i need an entire room devoted to the crafts, although i have a large yarn stash in my basement. good luck with your crocheting and your baby! :hug

Another congratulations! The first weeks, you might be surprised to find yourself not even interested in a hook, or a paintbrush! I was too tired, especially after number 2, to do more than sleep whenever I got a chance. I did keep a novel around...I found I could read and nurse, better than I could crochet and nurse...the first (now 5) was a squirmer, and the second (now 2) hurt (hard suction). Once they each started sleeping through the night, I managed more yarn moments--mostly during naps.

I too, am a SAHM, so I don't have lunch breaks...I have bedtime breaks. My time is when they go to bed! During the day, DD is far too interested in my yarn for me to actually get a stitch accomplished...unless ofcourse they're getting some of their special TV time...then I can "watch" with them.

(and baby announcement cards, and TY cards, take time...address the announcements now...and any TY's you can maybe do in advance...I did some of those one handed. But I didn't rush it either. The housework, as so many others have said, suffered. But I guess that time will come. My dear mother has reminded me, "They'll be out of your hair all too soon, and you'll have plenty of time for cleaning then". So true!

Enjoy your precious bundle of joy when she gets here! Every baby is a miracle, and a gift.

Yesterday, my 5 year old picked her first skein of yarn at the store... watching her look at and feel all the different yarns was sooooo much fun for me!

quote]

I did that with my DS, just before his 5th bday. He was so proud, he told all the people he saw what we were doing! He loves to be creative, unfortunately he's still struggling with the slip knot. I think I might have to skip it for now, and start him with chains, so that he gets the thrill of success. He's hinted at trying a new color instead, so maybe we'll go for that at the same time. I try not to pressure him. When he gets frustrated, we take a break. Eventually he comes back and wants to try again.

Well, my baby girl was born on 28 August (I've posted my news in another thread) and she is beautiful!! And although there's no way I can crochet while nursing (YET!!), I have indeed managed to crochet in the "me" moments I've snatched while she is sleeping. :) The housework can slide, but not my crochet, LOL! :D

Congrats!!! I bet you feel better now that you're all home..and you've got your body back LOL!! I know how you feel about the crochet...while in the hospital with my second DD, I was induced so I wanted to crochet, but DH didn't want to leave to go get my current project...then afterwards, I had a couple of books packed in my overnight bag but was really itching to get back to my yarn...DH said if they'd kept me over a second night he'd bring it to me, but they let me go LOL!! I had a blanket of little grannie squares that I'd made for the baby and had it over her in her little bassinette..and all the nurses asked me who'd made it for me...when I said I'd made it they were all really surprised...I guess it doesn't occur to most people that there are actually people under 70 who crochet LOL!!!

Enjoy your baby!!

Jessie:manyheart:yay

Well, my baby girl was born on 28 August (I've posted my news in another thread) and she is beautiful!! And although there's no way I can crochet while nursing (YET!!), I have indeed managed to crochet in the "me" moments I've snatched while she is sleeping. :) The housework can slide, but not my crochet, LOL! :D

Congratulations!

And glad to hear you've already fit in some creative time.

Good luck with .... everything! Parenting is a trial by fire, but quite an adventure as well.

Hugs,

Raquel

There may be a few months where it's next to impossible to keep your baby from playing with your yarn, at which point it will be difficult to crochet, but after that crocheting is a great motherly hobby. I have three sons ages 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 11 mo. Congrats on your baby!

• 8 months later...

I wanted to say a warm "hello again" to everyone who responded to this post and/or to my birth announcement an incredible (or so it seems) 9 months ago! :yay

I wanted to share this photo, taken when my little Melody was about 7 mo. She's wearing the sweater I crocheted for her a year ago when I was just starting out in crochet - it was from Crochet Pattern Central. Thought one or two of you might like to see it!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e382/Omphaloskepsis/crafts/m_in_jumper.jpg

Thanks again for the thoughtful and helpful responses to the concerns I had back then.

Btw, I'm making her a larger version, again in Sirdar Snuggly, but DK this time - as it's a softer and less splitty yarn than the 4ply. I didn't have a clue about any of that when I launched into my first attempt! :)

Hi, I have a 2 years 7 months daughter.

The funny thing is, I only start picking up my crochet and learned to knit AFTER I had her :)

Before that I was too busy travelling (business trip), now I am working at home. I do my crocheting and knitting while I baby sit her (watching her play), and do my full time job when she is having nap or after she goes to bed at night.

First off, Congratulations!

I began crocheting again right before I had my second baby. You find time! When they are tiny you can do it wile watching them and talking to them. And of course don't forget about when they are sleeping! The more the baby starts moving the less time you get to crochet. I get time when ever my two year old is taking a nap or after his bed time. If I am making a blanket he likes to sit in my lap and cover up with the part that is done. I just put my arms around him and keep on going. I am beginning to find more time wile he is awake sometimes too. Even if only for 15-20 minutes at a time.

Congratulations!!!! Becoming a mother and finally seeing your baby are the most precious things in life! I had my daughter Avery 14 months ago and you have gotten a lot of good advice here. I will reiterate one point...sleep when the baby sleeps. I tried to do too much just to show my husband that I could still do it all and I ended up making my recovery take much longer as I kept over-exerting myself. When my baby slept I tried to clean and cook and then I was so exhausted when she was awake. Then two weeks after she was born I had abdominal pain and ended up needing to get my gallbladder removed! That took an extra 4 weeks of healing. With all that going on I ended up having a hard time producing enough milk so next pregnancy I am letting all the housework go and I'm just recuperating like I should have this time.

Currently, I stay at home to raise her and I have the same experience that Tinkerpuppet talked about. My daughter is very independent so I have my project in a bag (I love to save the clear plastic bags with the zippers like you get from curtains or sheet sets) and I can sit on the couch while she plays in the living room. It's very easy to put down when she comes over to me and wants a snuggle or a book read to her. I can bring it on trips to stores while my husband drives. She takes two naps and I use that time to clean the house or like now, computer time. After she goes to bed at 7 my husband and I usually watch movies together and I can knit or crochet then as well.

I like what someone else said about it being a season of your life. Right now is my daughter's time and that comes first to me so I spend as much time as I can snuggling and playing with her and when she is satisfied and wants to play on her own then I can do a little crafting. I am already amazed at how much time has gone by and how fast she's growing. There will be plenty of time later on when she's older and doesn't want me smothering her, lol, to craft all day!

Good luck!!!!

Archived