Crochet and motherhood!

Hello everyone :)

I’m expecting my first baby in 4 weeks’ time. I used to be an enthusiastic pastel artist, but my painting room is now the nursery and I have limited space in which to make a mess with my pastel dust. I'm also finding (already) that I really don't have the energy or concentration to paint much. That's what led me to dabble with crochet earlier this year, as I searched for another creative activity that would indulge my love of colour and could be fitted into my day no matter how little time or energy I had to spare. I now crochet while "watching" tv in the evening, or when I meet friends for coffee, and can no longer remember a time when I didn't have a crochet hook in my hand! :D

It seems to me that arts such as knitting, cross-stitch and crochet have always been traditionally women's crafts because they're quite compatible with being at home and raising children. Am I right to think and hope that when I have my baby, once I'm past the initial shock and upheaval of getting to grips with babycare and we've settled into our new life as a family, there will still be room in my life for crochet? As a stay-at-home mum until at least early next year, and then possibly working part-time, will I easily be able to pursue my new passion? Creativity is what keeps me sane, and I would love to know realistically how much time mothers (or fathers!) of babies and small children get to pick up their hooks. Are you still actively creating since having your baby? Has your pace really slowed? Do you find yourself tackling fewer projects, smaller ones, or different kinds of projects from the ones you did pre-baby? If any of you have blogs that combine mothering with crochet, I would love to read about your experiences.

Sorry for the waffly post. Cheers! :yay

I'm not a mom, so I can't pretend to know how much time you'll have to crochet - it probably depends on your baby's personality, but I wanted to Congratulate you!!!! Hope you'll post a photo of you baby boy when the time comes!! :)

Yep, not only do I have 7 kids, but I home school all of them, so I do not get 5-6 hours of peaceful alone time like I would if they went to school.

I can say that there were a few years in there when I had 6 kids all under the age of 8 that I didn't get much of anything done but laundry and meals, but lately I have found more and more time to do what I need to do to fulfill my creative urges.

So, just remember, even though there may be times when you can't get anything but the "necessary" taken care of, it is only for a season in your life.

And congratulations on becoming a mom...it is a wonderful thing! :cheer

I wanted to Congratulate you!!!! Hope you'll post a photo of you baby boy when the time comes!!

Thanks for your well wishes. And it's a girl :) I will be sure to bore you all with photos!

even though there may be times when you can't get anything but the "necessary" taken care of, it is only for a season in your life.

Yes, I think that is a sane way to look at things ... there's a "season" for everything in life. That's why I decided not to get too despondent about putting down my pastels for a while (I was painting for pleasure, but had also just started doing paid commissions). It's just that I would love my daughter to grow up in the kind of creative household my husband and I have now - and I've encountered so many mothers who have given up doing the things they loved (such as art) and continued to refer to it years later as the "sacrifice" they made for their family ...

And congratulations on becoming a mom...it is a wonderful thing!

Thank you. It's an exciting time! :)

I think you'll be able to fit in time for creative pursuits with motherhood without feeling as if you are sacrificing either one: creative time or valuable, quality time with your child.

Yes, during the first year or two, depending on how much/how well your little one sleeps, you may not be able to do as much as you want. But once your little one is 18 months or so, you'll be able to introduce all sorts of creative activities. Children at that age can color (or more accurately, scribble with crayons on a piece of paper) while you work on a crochet project or something else, side by side.

Now that my kids are 13 and 10, it's not a problem for me to find creative time. My 13 year old daughter also crochets, so some nights we even sit down together and work on our own projects. It's a lot of fun!

I learned how to crochet when I was 8, and plenty of people learn even younger than that. So look forward to the time when you'll be able to share crochet WITH your child! :)

My youngest is now 18 months and my oldest is 3. I am a stay at home mom as well. I found that my crochet time has increased since I had my babies. I think because I pick it up and put it down whenever with no fuss. Nothing to put away, or clean up, just set it on the coffee table.

At first I was to tired after my babies were born, and I really did take the advice to nap when they nap (BEST advice EVER) and I even let the house cleaning fall on the hubby for awhile. But once we all got into a feeding/sleeping/playtime routine I find I have plenty of time. Maybe not uniterruped time, but still time.

I also find I am more driven to complete an item than I was before. I went years without crocheting, but then in the final weeks of my first pregnancy I was on bed rest (I was HUGE) I picked it back up and having been going strong since.

Good luck and congratulations on your new princess!!!

And check out Crochet Garden for lovely baby items!

Well, as a mother of three (they are 8, 6 and 5) I can say I still keep up with all of my crafting. I enjoy scrapbooking, beads/jewelry making, crochet, knitting, cross stitch, sewing/quilting, and a few crafts from the WW2-Vietnam era. I just have less time and a project takes me a little while longer, especially now that my husband is deployed. I have a travel bag that I carry with a project in when we leave the house, so while waiting for the kids to come out of school or waiting for one of their activities I can at least complete a bit of the project.

I don't think as a mom you have to give up what you enjoy, you are just limited on it. I know creating or just playing with a project a bit has helped me many, many times since having children!!

Good luck

Donna

I have 4 young children, and you can do ANYTHING you want to do as a mother, it just might not be the way you USED to do it. For crocheting, make sure that you have everything packed into a bag, ready to grab. Little scissors, hook, yarn, pattern - all ready to go. That way if you find yourself with 10 minutes, you can use all of that time, not spend it looking for stuff. Plus you can take it with you (Dr.'s visits, car rides, etc.)

My youngest is 2 1/2, and every night I "go get my yarn" and sit on the floor by her bed while she falls asleep. She rolls and prattles, while I crochet. I don't talk to her, just sit there. That's our bedtime routine. It gets me pretty close to 1/2 hour there. I used to sit nursing her in a rocking recliner, one arm behind her head and the other with a crochet hook, nursing her to sleep (I know, BAD MOM!) and crocheting. As she got older, she'd take my partial afghans and cuddle with them as I was working on them.

What you might find after being home, with just you and baby, is that your "free time" might be spent more seeking out contact with others rather than alone with the thread. Depends on your personality!

All that said - if something's important to you, you will find a way to work it in. Your sanity and your baby's happiness are intertwined, so do what you need to do to get by.

GOOD LUCK!

I only made simple things when my kids were little. mostly baknkets and stuff. Now that they are older and I live without TV I have time for learning new stitches and can actually follow a pattern!

Congrats on the impending arrival!! Having a baby is the most amazing life change in the world :D

I have a 15mth old son, and I find that while he keeps me very busy running after him all the time (how can one little man get into sooooo much???), I do actually get to crochet quite a bit. He's very independant and likes to play on his own (I often get 'shooed' away!!), so if he's playing happily in his room, I'll sit in there with him and crochet, or if he's toddling around the living room, I'll crochet while I'm watching him, etc. Crochet is very easy to pick up and put down! I find that I actually do very little crocheting during his nap time as that's when I get the dishes done, check my emails, wash the floors, stuff that isn't as easy to do with him running around. I have friends with babies the same age, and some of the babies are definatly more dependant on their moms so stuff like crocheting is a little more difficult, but there's always a balance, its just a matter of finding yours. And the older they get, the more you can incorporate them into crafting!

It may take awhile, but after the initial exhaustion and chaos wears off and you develop a routine with your baby, and as you get to know your babies personality, you'll easily be able to fit in crochet and other crafts. :D

I didn't crochet when my children were very young, but I have always been an avid sewer and even with having to worry about pins, needles, iron and machines, I sewed even more after my kids were born. I was never as tired with them as I was when I worked full time (except for the first few months after they were born---that was totally exhausting).

Actually before I had children I crocheted like any beginner, making simple things like scarves and maybe a granny square blanket if I had the time. But I really didn't crochet that much. After I had my children, I actually crocheted more and became more and more interested in making more complicated things. I really wanted to make a sweater and booties for my first born. So I got to work and did it. I find that having my children has inspired me beyond my wildest imagination!! They are my inspiration and I am sure you will find the same!

Congratulations on the impending birth.

I am a mum of 2 boys aged 7 and 2. I have not stopped or reduced my crocheting time at all since having the boys. Unfortunately I am a sufferer of BiPolar, and I find that while I am crocheting it is my little "escape"

I had a look at your paintings - they are fantastic soo much detail

Good luck

I take small projects with me whenever I leave the house. I call them my portable projects. Something I cna work on while I wait in line, sit in the car, etc. You will be surprised just how many rows you can get done waiting!

Nap times are sanity times and so is bed time. Then when the whole family is watching a movie or a program I can crochet or knit while we do that as well. Even when the kids are outside playing and I sit out with them I have something along with me.

Whe I was working I used to crochet when we had down time (all the work was done and we were just waiting on calls). Or I would do some during my lunch time or when I showed up early and had a few minutes before beginning work. If you take public transport, a lot of people use that time to work on their hand crafts.

You will find your own little snippets of time to fit in some crochet time.

I can remember feeling the same way when I was due with my first over 4 years ago. Was I going to resent the time this baby took from my hobbies? After all, we'd been married over 7 years and I was used to my freedom.

Well, it did take a bit of a hiatus. Everything in our life did. But I always kept a project in the car or in my purse so I could get a few stitches in here and there. I worked on small projects like hats to donate or dishcloths. I did grannies to donate or assemble at some future time. I have a friend that can nurse and crochet, but I am not quite that talented. :P

I now have 2 girls (4 and 8 mos :manyheart ) and I still have time to crochet. My house is a wreck though! I guess something had to give! :rofl: :devil

Good luck with your baby. Hold that baby all she wants because they grow up sooo fast. You cannot spoil a baby!

Oh your daughter will be so lucky to have a artist for a mother. Please, please, please start developing her art ability as soon as she shows an interest. Art skills, music skills, and math skills are inter-related and we need some great women mathematicians.

My baby was born 18 years ago, but I still remember the feeling of exhaustion that used to overcome me in the first few months. So, don't drive yourself to do anything non-essential. Enjoy your baby's babyhood - there will be plenty of time later to pursue your interests, and ,you never know she may be as creative as mummy, and you can enjoy doing handicrafts together.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. :)

I have already crocheted a baby sweater for my little one, made her a scarf (beginner's knitting attempt, LOL) and am halfway through crocheting a shawl to wrap her in when autumn/winter is here. I will take the advice to make the most of being with my baby and to try and nap when she naps. Can't wait to be able to share painting and crochet with her, though. There's a lot to be excited about! :manyheart

First off, let me offer my congrats on your soon-to-be external baby!! I have two little girls, one nearly 6 and one nearly 2...the night that each of them was born, I slept on my tummy just cause I finally could again LOL!!!

In the first few weeks, when the baby is mostly just eating & sleeping, you'll have alot of time to hook....or to sleep! Guess you'll have to decide which you want more of LOL...as Baby gets older, you'll still be able to crochet. When my younger DD was an infant, she would fall asleep on my chest and I would sit there and crochet with her on me...she got her nap, we both got snuggle time, and I got to crochet...

As they get older, you'll have a more set schedule with them...you'll have naptimes and after bedtimes to do whatever you want to...and as time goes on, Baby will become more & more independent...playing without you, wanting time near you but not actually WITH you...and you can just hang out next to your kid and crochet.

And then once they're in school, if you're still home, you'll have a number of hours during the day to crochet (oh, yeah, and do housework LOL!!) You'll probably also (if you're as addicted as I am LOL) figure out how to crochet with your little one on your lap...right now, I can keep going with my almost 2 yr old sitting on my lap as long as I give her my Q hook and a tape measure..she'll sit there and try to manipulate the hook and tape measure and I can keep going with my projects!!

I am a stay at home mom and even with my older DD home for the summer, I manage to crochet for approx. 3-4 hours during the day, and then for several hours more in the evenings, depending on how late I decide to stay up at night...I'm guesstimating here, but I think I can honestly say that I generally spend 6-8 hours a day crochetting.

Also, just as a side note, I started with knitting when my older DD was a toddler....it took one close call when she decided to surprise me with a flying tackle-hug for me to figure out that long, pointed sticks and little bodies full of energy aren't a great combination...if you decide to try your hand at knitting, you might want to leave that for the evenings so that you don't have to worry about anything bad happening....;)

Jessie

I have 3: Oldest will be 6 in Nov and is starting school full time next week, 2nd is 3 and youngest is almost 5 months.

I learned how to crochet back in 5th grade but picked it up again with relish after my 2nd was born. I've never stopped since, making things for birthday parties and gifts as well as selling some items too. My oldest 2 LOVE playing w/yarn - the 3-year-old will ask me to cut yarn that I'm currently working with for her to play with! :yarn

The youngest isn't mobile yet and it will be different once she is (I'll have to really keep things picked up better!) but right now it works well. I can sit in my living room, crocheting, and watch them play. Ditto for outside or in the car on trips when husband is driving. Besides, the crochet keeps me sharp - esp when doing increasing or decreasing rounds!:hook

I resigned from my job back in May to stay home w/all 3 before Ranleigh started school. And I have to say, these last 2 months have been my most productive! The kids get really enthusiastic about my work and I ask their opinion on stuff (esp if it's for other kids). Having worked at GE for almost 11 years before I resigned, it was also important for me to have something to do for me. It's worked out great!!

Congratulations to you - and another thing I forgot, you can always come here to vent about crochet or motherhood or both:D

Thanks, Jessie and M-A.

Aw ... Combined snuggle & crochet time sounds like bliss. :)

Expecting this baby has already led me to try my hand at cross-stitch, knitting and crochet - three things I could never have imagined myself doing a year ago. I'm looking forward to making lots of lovely things for my little girl.

I taught myself to crochet when I was pregnant with my first child--it was portable and less cumbersome than the sewing I had been doing, required less space, and the tools weren't as sharp! Now that he's 4 1/2 I can crochet a lot when he is around--in fact he likes to take a hook and wrap some scrap yarn around it once in a while. My newest boy is 5 weeks old so I have been crocheting less--but it is a good time to get books from the library and plan a few small projects.

Also, if my older son manages to pull my hook from a WIP, I only lose a few stitches which I can easily fix--but if he manages to pull a knitting needle I usually have to start over. (I can never pick up the stitches so it looks right!) And I have to watch my scissors to make sure my ends don't get cut before they are woven in. But he likes to play with squares and I can make him hats and scarves that he likes to wear. Maybe someday I'll get him to make his own hat!

Am I right to think and hope that when I have my baby, once I'm past the initial shock and upheaval of getting to grips with babycare and we've settled into our new life as a family, there will still be room in my life for crochet? realistically how much time mothers (or fathers!) of babies and small children get to pick up their hooks. Are you still actively creating since having your baby? Has your pace really slowed? Do you find yourself tackling fewer projects, smaller ones, or different kinds of projects from the ones you did pre-baby? If any of you have blogs that combine mothering with crochet, I would love to read about your experiences.

I'm here to tell you, motherhood is not the end of your crochet days. I have 6 children under the age of 10 ..the youngest are twin boys 14 months old and I am crocheting more now than I ever have! Now I don't get much done during the day because my hands are busy with babies but once they go to sleep I normally crochet for at least two hours at night. I try to limit myself to one project at a time so I don't feel overwhelmed by many projects stting around waiting on me, but I think I get more done by going one project at a time anyway. Little babies sleep a lot so you can probably sneak some projects in in the early days, if you aren't too tired yourself. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to create things but remember that babies grow up SOOOOOOOOO fast, so enjoy the baby first :) Good luck to you!

~Susan :queen

Busy Mama to:

Hannah :princess (9), Logan :2frog (7), Lance :dance (5), Hayden :teddy(3)

and the TWINkies Mason and Morgan (13 months) :ducky :ducky

:hook My oldest will be 2 in a few weeks and if she's up it's hard to work on big things like an afghan, I have to work on those when she's asleep. small things like a dishcloth or scarf are easy too do when she's awake :) My youngest is 2 1/2 mon so crocheting with her up is not a problem she does'nt really do much yet LOL

Archived