How close to deadlines do you get?

Hey guys!

I just completed three WIP's yesterday for the county fair. They were all just little things, about a half hour per project. The deadline is Monday. I usually are never this close to a deadline, but the fair kind of just snuck up on me. So then I have to work like a crazylady to get everything done!:no

I was wondering how close everyone gets to their deadlines of delivering the crocheted item!:think

I sure don't like deadlines, but sometimes, they just happen to sneak up on me. If only I didn't have stuff called housework to do, plus kids to be driven everywhere!:lol

Let me know. I remember my quilting friend gave me my son's blanket and it wasn't finished. So at the end of the shower, it went home with her, and was completed in a few days. Has anyone had to do something like that?

Linda:manyheart

:rolleyes OOOhh. I hate to admit it but I'm a procrastinator.. notice my sig line. Last Christmas I was finishing the Coming Home Poncho to ship to my mother.. uh while my husband drove me to the post office to ship it..

I made the short n sweet for a friend of mine who relocated to Taiwan and was to take it with me to a going away BBQ.. I was late getting there..due to finishing it and getting it wrapped..

My last endeavor was getting the Hollywood Halter done for my friend's daughter before they left for their summer vacation.. I worked feverishly from about 5am until 10am (caught them as they finished loading the car) to get it done to give to her to take..

So yes I do work VERY close to deadlines! :sweat

OH sweety, I am soooooooooo bad about deadlines...... for example, my sil was pregnant and I was making the new bundle a blanket, and I wanted it to be this great big wonderful thing..... and he got it for his 2nd birthday! And my current WIP, was supposed to be a wedding present..... she has her 3rd anniversary this year. I've just decided that after I'm done with this throw for her, I'm not doing deadlines anymore, no telling someone I'm makign something, just gonna wing it from here on in. :lol

Now smaller items and Christmas gift list is different, I get it done by Christmas, but I'm usually working on things VERY close to the day. But there is something about blankets that just take me a while, a vey looooong while to complete.

:rolleyes OOOhh. I hate to admit it but I'm a procrastinator.. notice my sig line.

:rofl I LOVE that sig line - will definitely have to remember that quote. I'm in the same boat with you! "Procrastination" is my middle name. I just can't help it, that's the way I was wired. I've often wondered if I was slow to be born too, and often joke that I'll be late to my own funeral!

I CAN be on time with things - if I push myself very hard, but it also stresses me out terribly, so I'm beginning to get better at avoiding things with deadlines when I can, or starting out earlier on them when I can't. I haven't been "late" yet with a project/gift, but I do have a long list of gifts never given because I could never seem to get the item done in time. I was smart enough never to have said anything about them to the intended recipients, so what they don't know doesn't hurt me, right?! I've set most of those gift items on the "someday" list, my biggest list to date! :lol

As far as craft fairs go, if I ever decide I'd like to enter one (need to visit a fair first, can you believe I've never been?), I will probably make my crafty plans for a fair that is more than a year out and get started right away on them. At least, that's the plan!

Last year I made my cousin a Harry Potter scarf. I was actually knitting it ON Christmas...yes, she saw. I finished a few days later and she loved it. But I don't like feeling rushed like that.....lol

I'm also last minute on things. If I don't finish them, I end up buying something. I just can't bring myself to being late with something... but I have been finishing up the day before Christmas or christmas day. Of course sometimes things just sneak up on me, like my cousins baby shower, one week, which was enough time to make the baby afghan, but finished it the morning of... and my friend who had to change the date of Christmas present exchanges a week early! :eek Luckily I was done with the presents (well I did shop for a few things that day because there was a few store bought items I got).

This year I have a list now and am starting on a few things and have a few things done for Christmas, but still a lot to do. I like it when I'm done early.

Debbi

I usually like to be done ahead of time also. But between taking care of four kids, trying a little housework, and other things, the projects were left to be completed until almost deadline. I really don't like being so late with things like that.

But put a little pressure on me, and I can accomplish anything!

Linda:manyheart

When I am working too close to a deadline, I tend to get very stressed. Sometimes at Christmas I just give up, cut back on home made gifts and buy things. I always try to make way too much anyway. That said, I was having a joint birthday party Sunday for my mother and my brother-in-law and knew I would be out of town Saturday. So, last week I decided to embroider two shirts, make a small quilted wall-hanging and an embroidered (about twelve hours by machine) vest (which I started Thursday evening). I got it all finished Friday night, but didn't have time to clean house for the party. Thank goodness it was just family and none of us are especially neat!

At great risk to my physical well being (don't hurt me!) - I tend to start WAY ahead of time and be done with time to spare. My recent spate of baby crochet is probably the best example - baby is due in December. I've known about it since May. I've been crocheting like a mad woman since.

Part of this is because I'm not very good at making things and need LOTS of practice. So I plan for the long term.

I am the Queen of Procrastination (said very proudly). However, lately something weird has happened to me and I'm actually working ahead!! My niece is pregnant and due in Dec. - I've already got the baby's blanket 2/3 finished!! Someone help me - I must be sick. (Of course, I still have the blanket I started for my Dad's Christmas present 2 YEARS ago to finish so maybe there is hope for me yet!!!)

• 1 month later...

I am so AR that I have the need to get things done right away which is usually weeks ahead at least unless I decide to make something last minute (like my DMI birthday shawl) which I got done in 1 day of almost non-stop crocheting. Now I will admit to procrastinating about most anything else, like housework. lol

Actually, with me it depends...

Baby blankets go quickly for me... but I need to know ahead of time to make sure it is completed before the arrival. I actually was crocheting my last row of edging on a blanket as I was in the car to visit the new mother in the hospital!!! :)

Just last week, I had a blanket I was weaving in ends on as the the mom was upstairs showing off the baby to coworkers...

I have a purse I am submitting to a contest TOMORROW and it is not done yet... in my defense, I didn't hear about it until earlier this month... Like most people I have more than one project going on at a time. (baby blanket mentioned above was top priority.

One time I was informed of a babyshower a week before the event... there was too much on my plate... As quick as I am at whipping something like a blanket up, I knew there was no time... I instead made a swatch and presented this in a card with a sign that said "Work in progress" I have since done this once, maybe twice more... it does buy me time, and it is nice to give them an idea of what it is going to look like!

Procrastination is my middle name. I have to go mop the floor for the guests we will be receiving in about 20 minutes. Guess I need to go get that done.

I also finished two projects the day before the fair, and one the day of, and one on each of the three days before that.

OK, gotta go mop!!!

I am ALWAYS completing things at the last minute. What is that saying . . "if it weren't for the last minute nothing would get done . . ." :lol That's me alright. One time I was desperately crocheting to finish a project to enter in the fair. My husband had to circle the building a dozen times to give me the extra time I needed to finish up. When I arrived they were changing the "Open" sign to "Closed" but they let me in. And don't even ask me about Christmas crochet. :rolleyes Pathetic. I wish I was more disciplined.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate being a procrastinator. I do that even for the holidays. I usually am working on projects the day of the event. I wish I could be more in control of time. My intentions are good, but time just slips away.:(

:manyheart

Deadlines....

Well, when I was in school still I was waiting until the last minute to write papers and study (I didn't realize it until the last few tests though, that if I study a bit every day and not all at one before a test I actually retain info. Doh!)

For needlework projects I don't like exact deadlines. Like... I decided to make a baby blanket for a woman in my mom's quilt group. The shower is this sunday the 22nd. I just bought my yarn last night and spent most of the night stitching away. I'll have time, I'll probably finish it midweek, but I feel like I can't do anything else until it is done. I much prefer semi-open due dates for things. It makes it feel less like homework, and when I do zip through it and finish it fast it's like I made thier day with an unexpected gift (that they probably paid for in advance, but whatever :P).

I have seen my mom present people with partially finished quilts that she takes home with her to finish at the end of the night. I think it's cute once, but any time after that you look like a loser.

Well for fairs I crochet up til the very last minute. I do all my big things first, and then whatever time I have left I make as many small things as I can. My gifts I try not to wait til the last minute just in case there's a just in case.

I was so amused by many answers to this Q!:rofl If I didn't know better, I'd think you all were describing ME. Last minute all the way; but I think procrastination is my first name almost consistently.

I especially could identify with the need to circle the building a dozen times for the fair project that loopyliz mentioned, except for 2 things: 1) I am still learning to crochet well enough to consider the fair, and 2) my husband would almost certainly never do that for me. :lol We are total opposites on this subject :goodorbad , but on many occassions I have kept him from having to kill 2 hrs. of time because he was SO early.

I am coming to the conclusion:think, in regards to making gifts (as I improve to that level), especially baby gifts and other ones you can halfway plan ahead for, that it would be best for me to make some ahead of time, then when I decide to give one, start making a replacement right away.:wink

And knitcrochetandpray sounded VERY familiar, too! I can't remember all the times I was throwing out the mop water, or cleaning the toilet, as the company arrived.:eek

Margie

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the last few rows and wove in the ends on the afghan I gave my Father-in-law for christmas last year in the car on the way to his house. It's a three hour car trip, but that was getting rediculous. I made the afghan for my mom at his house i nthe two days we were there.

I did get the floor mopped that day just before our company arrived; was throwing the water out the back door as DH answered the front door.

I did want to add that I have actually completed two projects with over a week to spare!!! I have been crocheting for each of my boys schools and have finished 65 rabbit :rabbit fridgies (we are the Jackrabbits [bunnies were a variation of the pattern at http://wideopenwest.com/~sag55/bmag.html]) for my third grader's "Teacher Appreciation", and 27 little treat pumpkins :jack (just a round base, spiral crocheting up the sides [forming a tube] then a single crochet handle, with black felt features) for my kindergartener's "Fall Celebration". I do not remember the last time I finished something with so much time to spare. I doubt I will achieve the same result with all of my Christmas :ctree crochet.

PROCRASTINATION RULES!!

Not really but I'm the master at this. Like now I cannot seem to get into the grove for christmas. Bought alot of yarn. Have looked through the patterens and wrote down what I wanted to do, But last night I have the night to myself and I sat there. Looking and the yarn and books and just couldn't get into it. I started some mittens, but wasent really into it. It will be like two weeks before christmas and I will go crazy trying to get things done

• 3 months later...

Archived