Several Completed Projects

Amy

I've just updated my blog with pics of 2 finished projects (ssshhh, don't tell, they're actually knitted!) and 1 crochet WIP.

I finally finished the knitted prayer shawl I started about a year or so ago and a Garn Studios knitted drop shoulder sweater. I've also started another triangular crocheted prayer shawl.

Please stop by my blog and check it all out. I'd love it if you'd leave me a comment or two, and feel free to add me to your bloglines!

The triangular shawl pattern is from Lion Brand's book The Prayer Shawl Ministry: Reaching those in Need. List price is $11.95, but I got my copy at Hobby Lobby when they had all instructional books on sale for 50% off.

It has 4 patterns for crochet and 4 for knit.

Great job! I wish I had known you were in my neck of the woods ( or at least remembered).. we could ahve met up for a snack, or lunch on the way through to Emerald Isle!....Maybe next year...

The triangular shawl pattern is from Lion Brand's book The Prayer Shawl Ministry: Reaching those in Need. List price is $11.95, but I got my copy at Hobby Lobby when they had all instructional books on sale for 50% off.

It has 4 patterns for crochet and 4 for knit.

Thank-you for this information. I thought it looked different thatn the pattern I had. I'll check it out next time I am in the stores!

They all came out super Amy, Like Grrlsmom I too envy your ability to knit......That sweater just wouldn't hold it's shape right if it were crocheted.....Thanks for sharing with us!

Great job, they all look great. I have been thinking of trying to learn knitting. I just love the way some things that are knit look, compared to crochet. Do you think it would be easier to learn since I already know how to crochet?

As far as learning to knit goes, I have one bit of very useful advice: PERSEVERANCE!!!!!

I tried multiple times over the past 30 years to learn to knit, all to no avail. I tried again a little over a year ago, with a little more success, but still lots of frustration.

I think my main problem was that I learned to crochet when I was 8, almost 9, and I picked it up very easily. My 3rd grade teacher taught all the girls, and I don't remember struggling with it. My mom and grandmother also crocheted, so I had all the additional assistance I needed. By the time I was in high school, I was doing complicated thread crochet doily and other patterns with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

When I tried to learn to knit, I had to do it all on my own, which usually isn't a problem for me. But I'm left-handed, and back then, all the information seemed to be for regular knitting with the yarn held in the right hand, and I just couldn't get it coordinated. I would get very frustrated, especially when I knew how quickly and easily I could just crochet something instead. So I'd give up the knitting each and every time.

Fast forward to a little over a year ago. I was determined to make it work this time. I learned about continental knitting, which was a much better fit for me being left-handed. But I still got frustrated with how slow it was compared to crochet, and figuring out how to deal with dropped stitches, etc. I eventually gave up again, other than just the very basic rectangular pieces like scarves and prayer shawls.

Then about 4 months or so ago I decided to try yet again, and determined that I would NOT give up this time. I forced myself to stick to it, reminding myself that I don't let my kids give up on stuff just because they get frustrated. Just like I tell them that practice, practice, practice, is the key to getting better, this time I held myself to that same standard. And the more I practiced, the better I got. I developed an understanding of the theory of how the stitches work and WHY you do things a certain way in knitting.

I got lots of help from the videos at the knittinghelp.com website. I also bought two videos: The Art of Knitting, volumes 1 and 2. These were also very helpful.

I learned how to be confident frogging knitting and getting everything put back on the needles properly. The more I frogged, as frustrating as it was, the better my knitting became. I now feel confident enough to attempt any knitting pattern that I want. It's okay if I don't get it to work the first time. I may have to frog, but I'll learn something from that experience. And I'll eventually complete whatever project I choose.

I think crochet will always be my first love. It's much easier for me, and it is much faster to get projects completed. But Debbie Stoller was right in her book The Happy Hooker: some projects are just better suited for crochet (like amigurumi!) and others are better suited for knitting. Neither is superior to the other on the whole, but one may be superior for a particular application.

Archived