What's on your hook for Christmas?

A few nights ago I got out my Big Hook Crochet book and looked through there and got some ideas. I suppose I should get started since I'm a slow crocheter. Slow as in when I have to put it down, it might be a few days before I pick it back up again. I do believe that I am going to make some lapghans for my oldest daughter and granddaughters and probably a hat and a sock-attempt for my youngest daughter, who is almost 13. My son is stationed in Afghanistan so I'm not sure about him, although he will be there during the holidays, including his 20th birthday, :cry and he said it should be cold.

Maybe if I can get motivated I can do an afghan for my dad and step-mom. :blush

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to the cabin this last weekend with the 4 grandkids and while we were there, they say one of my travelghans and asked if I would make them each one, so I am makeing each a camo travelghan for Christmas, the boys (3) will be in different camo shades, green, brown and blue and the girl one will be pink camo.....isn't that a great idea????

I found some really funky red yarn at Hobby Lobby the other day & it was on for 99 cents per 200 yard skein.

Being the intrepid bargain hunter that I am, I bought half a dozen skeins, and pronounced, "I'll find something to do with it!"

I tried a couple of different tree skirt patterns, then decided to design my own. I was a tad frustrated at the turning circles into rows so there would be an opening, then it hit me: WE HAVE AN ARTIFICIAL TREE, DUMMY; PUT THE SKIRT ON BEFORE YOU PUT THE BRANCHES IN PLACE!!! So, now I'm crocheting in circles, and it's going to be a sort of granny-octagon.

It's beginning to look like poinsettia petals, so I'll probably come in with a really funky sparkly green fun-fur type yarn, and mock up some leaves. The tree's white, and the ornaments are the eclectic mix one gets when one teaches school, and has a 7-year-old in the house. So it's not like it will clash with anything except conservative good taste.

And, if (WHEN!) we ever get tired of the tree skirt, I can always add a gold center to cover the hole, and we'll then have a really warm, funky lap-ghan to curl up in.

Can you tell I was raised by a depression-era baby? Always have a Plan B, even for your art! hahahaha

Merry Crochet!

Maggs

Oh Goodness. I saw this thread and my heart started to palpitate. You see, I started making my Xmas gifts in April. I haven't gotten too far into them, or at least enough to make a dent in them, but here's what I have on my plate:

Afghans for: 1. Nephew (camo), 2. Niece DONE!!! and 3. Parents

Shawls for 2 nieces (1 done)

Scarf for niece, done

felted handbag for other niece

Shawls for 2 sisters-in-law

Hat/Scarf combo for each of 2 brothers

Garbage bag dispenser for each of 2 brothers

scarf for boyfriend

shawl for best friend

felted slippers for friend's husband

Felted paintbrush roll-up case thingy for artist friend (think felted hook holder, but for paint brushes)

scarves for all of boyfriend's family (7)

Someone please, please help me! I must be crazy!

Add to this, I'm doing a craft fair in September and trying to gear up for that.

Add to that, my boyfriend's brother's wedding gift due in October is an afghan.

:P

Oh deary me... This was supposed to be my question, but others seem to be way ahead! :lol

I have a tote for a friend nealy ready. Started on a scarf for another friend yesterday which I'm making at work when nothing to do. I'm also working on a dress for my god daugher, but I have to make that with concentration to get the pattern right.

I plan on making a felted sholder bag and matching mitts for my husband. I don't know what good the matching will do, as he "misplaces" his mittens too often, but it's the thought that counts. :hug

I haven't planned all the other gifts yet, but they'll be something traditional: placemats, hats, socks etc...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have so many things to do for Christmas...well, some of them were supposed to have already been finished and given as gifts...oops

2 baby snow dragons for nephews (found the pattern on here)

yellow baby blanket-half done (was supposed to be a baby gift back in March...gave her clothing instead)

starghan baby blanket for cousins baby

daisy square afghan for friend's daughter

2 hats and 2 scarves for a cousin in Colorado for school

8 doily coasters for MIL and SIL's mother-1 done (these are really cool...you do the pretty doily and then set it in a resin coaster mold so it's protected and "floating" in the middle)

3 harry potter scarf bookmarks for cousins and mum

3 harry potter snitch bookmarks for cousins and mum

1 harry potter pillow for cousin's kid

1 spiderman pillow for cousin's kid

1 toddler sweater for cousin's kid

and an unknown object for my mum...we were going to get her a nice digital camera but she decided to get one for herself

Man, I didn't realize how bad this looked until I wrote it all out! :eek I need to get busy!!

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if there was a Xmas CAL

I hope to do hats and scarf’s for the little ones and try my hand at felting two small handbags for my adult daughters.

Any suggestions on how to do them would be very welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, y'all make me feel SO bad...I started to make afghans for my 2 dtrs-in-law...about 3years ago. Made one, didn't make the other one, so substituted something else. I just don't crochet fast enough, and have so little time to do it, it takes forever! I might work on one afghan for a whole year!

Has anybody started with their holiday crocheting yet? I have two WIPs on the hook right now - a drawstring purse and a beaded bracelet for my 11 yo DD. I'm thinking about trying socks for the first time as she has told me for the past year that she wanted some funky-looking socks. So we shall see. :sheepxmas

Hey all...well this year I'm doing hats and scarves for my 12year old DD and 8 & 9 year old niece and nephew. For the 1 year old and 6 month old nieces, I'm not sure. My 2 year old and 6 month old granddaughters - don't know about that either. I am going to make a couple of hats for my 20 year old son who is currently in Iraq but is going to Afghanistan in December and it gets cold there. As for my 22 year old daughter (mom to my wonderful granddaughters :manyheart), not sure either. <<<SIGH>>> Is it supposed to be this hard to come up with gifts??? :think

My problem is I don't get the Christmas spirit until just before Christmas. One year I made a lot of tree ornaments out of thread, and never did get them starched, ready to hang! I have no idea where they are now, we moved after that and they are in a box somewhere.

I am making an afghan for my mom (ripple pattern, she saw one that I did last year and said that she wanted one for her new couch) as well as a stuffed elephant for her. I haven't started the elephant, but I am getting there. I also owe my husband a new scarf before we go to Canada. I am also hoping to make an afghan with pansies on it for my grandmother. I found a book at Borders that had the pattern for the flower, and it really does look like a pansy. Needless to say, I have lots to do before Christmas, and when I am not studying for law school finals, I am (or should be) crocheting.

• 1 month later...

Well did the rest of you finish your projects for Christmas on time.

I DID, got all 4 travelghans done before we left OR in Nov, I was so excited.

Now I am working on baby things for my neice.

SO HOW DID YOU DO?????

• 5 months later...

Archived