What's on your hook for Christmas?

this year will be the first without my mom(she died in jan.) so for her i am making each of her grand kids a scarf as she loved the one i made her, she wore it to the hospital and had it on when she passed away. and for my one sisters family i am making small things a purse for sis, and for my oldest niece am making her a shrug(almost done with that) for dd want to make the jolly roger sweater in the snb happy hooker boo, she saw that and fell in love with it. for my mil i will just buy her something same as my fil, they neither of them seem to appreicate hand made things. i just cry when i think about all the time and money i have spent for it to just sit in a box cause its to nice to use. hopefully they will still have them when they pass cause i sure as heck am bringing them back home :lol :lol :lol for the younger kids(5 and 3) i will make stocking hats and maybe mittens to go along with the scarf. i am also for as many service members as i can get am making and sending helmet liners for them to wear along witha personal note for them to know that there are people who care about them, for son i will probably make a quilt in spiderman, for dd the sweater and maybe a matching hat and purse. who knows how many skulls will fit on a purse LOL she is so into this fad right now cracks me up.:lol :lol :lol for all of my loved ones i also make and give a special ornament just for them, some will get snow flakes some other things i have not decided yet, since i am newly into working with sculpy clay, i may suprise everyone with something lol for my online friends i will make stitch markers for the ones i talk to alot and for the few special friends i have online You know who you are) i will make shawls and other things as i have done in past. i have been blessed to meet and get to know so many people, and of course my fur babies how could i forget them

i will mae them each a kitty toy and perhaps a new bed for them, now where did i put my hook and yarn:think :think

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be starting XMAS as soon as I get this chirsting gown done. However this year I am going to be smart about it and write everyone down and what to make them, Patterns ready ect. Last few years I have just went of the cuff and I end up crochet hours before opening presents. Even have had a IOU. Don't want to do that this year. Even bought my own note book for it.

(LIKE THAT WILL HELP):lol

Ok, finally starting to get a plan together... I can never even start to think about it until Mid-August.

Completed:

Hat & Scarf for one niece

Hat for MIL

Hat for FIL

Hat for BIL

Wrap for grandma

In Progress:

Storage baskets for Mom (from Erika Knight's "Simple Crochet")

Hat & Scarf for other niece

Planned:

Something else for MIL, probably a wrap of some sort.

Non-Crochet:

Fabric Tote Bags for Mom, MIL, SIL, Grandma

Fabric Teddy Bears for Brother, his fiance, and my two neices

Jewelry for MIL, SIL, Grandma

Monogram Initials with One-Stroke Painting for Mom, MIL, Sister, Grandma

I think that covers it...

I am doing a scarf and hat set :wgrin for the ladies. Michale's had a sale on Moda Dea "Wild", (very soft, fuzzy, long, eyelash yarn), marked down from almost $9 a skein to $1 :cheer , so I bought a LOT of it. I am using two strands of the wild with a corresponding acrylic lead to make drop stitch scarves. I am using the same yarn combinations to make matching shorties. These come out so soft and very warm.

Girls are getting purses (making little purse like bags like you make a pot holder, but you don't sew the ends together-you add a strap.) with scrunchies, chapstick keyrings, and wristers stuffed inside.

Don't know about the guys yet. They are so much harder to craft for (or buy for in general) :P . Theirs may have to be more specific to the individual (i.e. the "tee bag" for the golfers, a tie for the teacher, football afghan for the football player, etc.).

Boys are getting games, have patterns for a bowling set, ball board (like darts), checkers and tick-tack-toe.

Am also working on Christmas donations, slippers and puppets (for the kids) at our local women's shelter.

So little time and so much to crochet! :hook

I have some of the hats and scarves, and some of the slippers and puppets done but really need to get to work on other items; but I am still trying to complete projects for the County Fair which is in two weeks-and I still have 5 UFO's to complete! :eek

I am making several fat bottomed bags for various women, a few fancy scarves, a round ripple afgan (large) for my sister and brother-in-law and perhaps a baby cardigan for my little niece. I also sew a lot of gifts.

[quote=

Girls are getting purses (making little purse like bags like you make a pot holder, but you don't sew the ends together-you add a strap.) with scrunchies, chapstick keyrings, and wristers stuffed inside.

Great idea! I've made small pillows this way. It's a great way to use up scrap yarn because all the ends are inside.

Alice

Just discovered beaded thread markers sooooo, I am going to make sets of these for all my knitting/crochet friends, and family... to go in their prezzie parcel..got so many beads and findings, it has to be a good thing , and I get to play in between the serious stuff, half way through designing a vest, from long strips of colourful crochet... June in the UK

:ctree I love the holidays, and this is my first year making gifts, hopefully. The plan so far is some nice potholders for my mum and a Raven Claw Harry Potter scarf for my room mate.

If I can get out of the beginner stages of this crochet thing, the girls at work will get potholders or coasters or something cute and usefull!

Right now I'm finishing up a baby blanket for friends, but as soon as that's done (which should be soon, yay!) I am going to start making a hooded scarf. I ordered the yarn online and can't wait to get it! Other than that I haven't decided what to make for whom. I'm thinking about a lot of hats. I'm also thinking about making matching scarves for my friend and her daughter.

thought I would attempt making blanket for everyone in my family ...then I had someone wise person show me how many square that would take

Now just making them for my kids

dishclothes and pot holders for the Adults

and maybe if I feel in a good mood a few scrunches for the ladies with enough hair to use them

I was planning just to make dishcloths and potholders for a few people, but I think I am going to expand it a bit to scarves and hats for a few relatives that commented on the one that I just finished for myself. How cute will we be in matching hats and scarves?

I also have an aran-style afghan that I wanted to finish by May for my Brother-in-law, but I don't think there is any chance of finishing it by this Christmas...Looks like I'll be shooting for his b-day again on that one! ;)

I'm making little snowmen that you put a toilet paper roll inside to keep them upright, a baby blanket, and two scarves. I don't know how I'll get it all done, especially since I'm super slow!!:eek

I'm hoping to make the skull-and-crossbones sweater from the Happy Hooker book for my 20-yr-old godson. For my girlfriends, one is getting a shrug, another a cami, and another a matching set of cell phone & iPod cozies. My brother, who has no potholders in his kitchen, will be getting the "skullholders" also from the Happy Hooker book. (Hmm, I'm seeing a theme here... maybe I have Halloween on the brain instead of Christmas!) :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have 6 purses, some ornaments and an afghan that all must be finished by Christmas.

I'm thinking I should just quit my job and stay home and crochet. Bwhahahahahahaha!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a couple baby sweaters for people I know who've just had babies or will be having them in the next couple weeks (seems like everyone's been preggers this year!) I've a couple baby blankets as well. Just finished a scarf in an interesting rusty ruby color chenille, have some socks made...I'm looking for a good project now though that I don't have any WIPs going.

I just finished a wedding blanket and pillow set for my cousin who's getting married at the end of January...25 12 inch square panels in various crochet stitches...one stitch type per panel. That took a month of Sunday's. I put everything off to be sure I had enough time to get it done before leave for home in a couple weeks.

Now I'm left with idle fingers and going nuts :thair looking for a new project! All ideas joyfully considered!!

Let's see...I have the skipping stones afghan for my FIL's b-day (12/10), a ripple afghan for a friend using Rainbow Boucle, sock monkey hats for the members of my mom's side of the family, snowflakes for them, as well, and a snowflake for the families on dad's side, maybe Baroque Lady's Jacket (from Stitch Diva and HH) for my S's IL, Broccoli Bobble Bag (pattern posted on my blog) for my mom to take to Bingo, and if there's time, an afghan made using the Star of India doily pattern for dh's friend who is getting married New Year's Eve. Oh yeah! Sock monkey hats for my friend's 4 children (she has two sets of twins, one of which is a girl, the rest are boys). If there's time, I'll make for my church choir director the chicken viking hat that was posted in Craftser. Oh, also, a halter top from Drops with a bolero for my MIL, and maybe slippers for myself and dh. I hope there's enough time for all this!! It's a good thing I'm a SAHM!!

Well lets see..I never typed it all out..I might find that scary

I am making

1 giant granny square

I am mangleing The Dudes Monet Afghan

1 granny gone straight afghan

3 elf stocking hats

Everyone else Is getting another craft gift in little crochet gift bags.

I am going so slow this year.

At the moment I am working on an Afghan for my boyfriend (started it alst night) and a shawl.

I have another shawl to do, but I didn't like the yarn I purchased for it initially so this morning I ordered a different yarn from Joann's online as I can't seem to find it in any store locally. So it will be approximately a week (give or take a little one way or the other) before I can start on that shawl. Hopefully I will be finished with the first shawl by the time my yarn arrives.

I had a couple more things in mind for holiday gifts, but I honestly don't know if I will get to them this year or not. I will just have to wait and see how I do timewise.

Sabrina

i'm making a the Sweet Pea Shawl from SnB Crochet using lion brand Jiffy in black for my mom. it's about halfway done. she has one in pink cotton that i made her this past summer, but she wants a winter weight one.

i'm also making a scarf for a friend but ran out of yarn. am holding off on buying more yarn for the project has i haven't heard from her in 2 months and it seems like she's ignoring my emails :'-(

and i'm also making a blanket for a friend of mine who's in iraq. i decided to make it out of afghan squares but they're so tedious to make that i think it's going to become a sampler.

and i made two matching earflap hats based on the Seija hat and blanket set in SnB crochet for my toddler twin cousins. i used Patons Rumor in a blue-ish color. i used one-skein per hat and the J hook recommended on the yarn label and each skein was enough to construct the hat, braids, and a rather substantial pom-pom. there was no scrap at all! but i had to wash the hats b/c i had a nasty cold when i made them and found out that Rumor is not colorfast!!!!! >.< grrrrr! oh well, they're beautiful hats!

I didn't get any of my projects started until yesterday...:eek

However, now that I'm started, I've got the following going:

*Button-Beaded scarf for my G'ma. I liked it when I started (last night) but I think I made an error in judgement. I couldn't get enough of the "brown" buttons, so I'm mixing "brown" with "multi". The brown section looks really smart, (I want to make another for myself!) but the multi-colored section looks a little odd. However, G'ma is G'ma, and she'll dig it. (Also, I'm using Fun-Fur, which is proving impossible to frog. And I didn't want to take 6 hours to frog out 3 hours of work. :blush )

*Plastic bag lunch sack for my Mom. I haven't decided on a pattern yet, or started cutting up the bags, but it's been requested, so I better get cracking!

*I'm considering doing a button-beaded clutch purse for G'ma as well, however, no craft store around here has grab bags of the kinds of buttons I want. I may have to give her a picture and raid her button stash when I get to her house for the holidays.

*X-mas colored apron (finished-yay!) accompanied by some sort of baking kit for the mystery gift exchange.

We cut down on the number of people we're giving gifts to this year, and no one else on my list wants crafty things. So, I've lucked out and only have the 2/3 little projects to get through.

Oh, and that wedding gift to get framed (graph of their last name) for my cousin's wedding...which was a year and a half ago....

I made an ugly blanket for my Mother, and I am working on a lapghan for my sister. Everyone else has had more than their share of ghans from me. Plus my time is very restricted, unless it is slow at work.

Tracey

I have almost completed the Homespun Waterfall Afghan for my SIL. Since we've had three babies born this year (2 nieces and 1 nephew) I plan on making each one a heart-shaped crib pillow. I made one for my granddaughter (who is almost 2 years old now) right after she was born and now I want to make these three as they were simple and quick to do. :sheepxmas

Archived