What's on your hook for Christmas?

I haven't actually decided whether I will crochet presents or not. I am thinking of making a table runner and some placemats for my mom, though.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mary, ME saying I would do thirteen afghans is crazy~you're actually DOING IT! I am SO IMPRESSED!

I have some slipper ideas~especially Sylver's Awesome Slipper pattern. Coaster for my SIL? A Crochet Today beret for my Aunt-in-love... Those pineapple shawls are calling to me! I haven't started anything yet!!!!(((((HUGS))))) sandi~oh yeah~I'd like to do a tree skirt for our household....

I'm working on an afghan quilt for my boyfriend, and probably a few pillows for other friends. We're all going off to college, so school colors make great starting points for crochet gifts.

I made all my graduation presents for my boyfriend and two best friends, and only one thing wasn't crocheted (an electrical tape bracelet). My fallback for last minute present lately is a hat, since they're so fast and universal.

I've been thinking of what to make, does that count? I want to make a red and gold pillow and sew a 49er's patch on it for my husband. He's not really into crocheted things, but I think he'd like that. I have tons of stuff I can make, it's just will I? With moving and what not it's a case of wait and see.

13 afghans for Christmas?! That's great!

Actually I don't make much crocheted items for Christmas. It's just my parents and I -- and they both have two afghans each from me.

However, I am making my mother and all of her sisters (my aunts) a kitchen set like the one seen here.

GreenKitchenSet.jpg

Just doing different colors but going to make the same set for each. Red for Aunt Frankie, this green for Aunt Dolores, tea rose for Aunt Marjorie, yellow for Aunt Sarah and a sage green color for my mother.

I've been doing washcloths here and there...and recently discovered a pattern on the Michael's website for a crocheted spa basket. I'm thinking that if I do up a few of these baskets, put in a couple of washcloths and some lovely bath salts these will make lovely gifts for my many girlfriends...who all love my stuff (and not one of them is into crafty stuff of any kind).

Gosh - I don't think there's a chance of getting bored for months and months...lol.

mac+

Ooh, there are some good ideas here. I love that purse organizer!! That sure is a lot easier and more adaptable than figuring out how to sew pockets into the linings of my purses. The spa basket is a fantastic idea, too.

Currently, I am working on the Sweet Scallops shawl for my mom - I want to finish it early; last year I spent the week before Christmas crocheting frantically on her ripple blanket - not so much fun there. I'm hoping to make a name doily for my parents as well. My sister wants a hat and wristwarmers. I better get busy!!

• 4 weeks later...
I've been doing washcloths here and there...and recently discovered a pattern on the Michael's website for a crocheted spa basket. I'm thinking that if I do up a few of these baskets, put in a couple of washcloths and some lovely bath salts these will make lovely gifts for my many girlfriends...who all love my stuff (and not one of them is into crafty stuff of any kind).

Gosh - I don't think there's a chance of getting bored for months and months...lol.

mac+

I went to the michael's site, looking for that pattern and it doesnt show up in the project lists. Would you be interested in sharing? I have a young lady who would love that, and I can get started now!

My christmas gift list is nearly all crochet items, but they are single day, maybe single weekend projects. Plenty of time. AND, it means I can go yarn shopping! YAY!

My daughter lives at college in another town and she has 3 roommates. They have been together for 3 years and this is their last year. I am making each of the 3 afghans for Christmas. I have already finished 2 of them and now working on the 3rd. I am using the never ending blanket square for these afghans and using up leftover yarn as well. I have previously posted the results, but for those who haven't seen one, here is my second ghan.

sarahblanket.jpg

If you go to the Michael's website, click on Yarn and Needlecrafts, then scroll down to Inspirations and click on Free Knit & Crochet Patterns. A page will come up and you can select Crochet. I think the basket pattern is on Page 5. Hope this will help you.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually wrote down today a list of people I would be giving gifts to for Christmas and what I would make them. I started working about five days ago on an Afghan for my younger brother for Christmas. I was surprised when he wanted one. My dad freezes my brother and step-mom since he doesn't turn the heat up very high. When i told my step-mom i was crocheting my first afghan i was very surprised & so was my husband when my brother said he wanted an afghan. I mentioned i was working on a dark purple and he was like forget it. Then i told him i would do a blue one for him.

So I am making a blue afghan for my 14 year old brother.

I have so much going on with crochet for Christmas.

I'm making kitchen sets for the women in the family so that makes 13 sets of dishcloths, pot holders, etc.

I'm making at least 2 afghans.

Scarves for 19 people

Wrist warmers for 3 girls

And I still need to decide on some crochet projects for my dd.

Then I have the guys to figure out if I'm going to crochet for them or not. I really need to be farther ahead than I am right now.

• 2 weeks later...

What should be on my crochet hook right now for Christmas are two Spiderman Afghans!!!!:eek I have two nephews that simply love Spiderman. Plus I also told their mothers that I would make them these afghans for Christmas!!(oops, should have kept my mouth shut-:lol :lol) I've been busy making kitchen items:dishtowels, towel toppers, scrubbies, etc. etc. etc. that time just got away from me. I'm also trying to "knit" myself a "wrap" or shawl, it is from Naturally Caron, it is called "casurina shawl. It seems like it is taking FOREVER!! I guess it's because I'm using sport weight yarn and smaller needles than what it calls for, since I tend to crochet/knit rather loosely!! :hook

Xmas - I haven't even put my list together (that will be this weekend's task).

I feel as if i'm running out of ideas for my family members - they all got blankets and scarves and hats a few years ago. I also made placements and towels (basically kitchen sets) for all the families last year.

I wanted to make socks for everyone - but every time I try I get one perfect and well one so not perfect that I have abonded the sock idea all together :angry. I don't know what I'm doing wrong with the socks.

Any ideas are welcome!!

A teacozy, some snowflakes, and the way things are going, I may resort to cozies for computers!

Oooh! Snowflakes!? That would be soooo cool! Do you know where I could find pattern for them? (fairly easy one :( still beginner..:P).

I have completed three angel towels (Annie's Attic kit for the first one) and have a Christmas dress on the hook for my youngest granddaughter. She has some Mexican blood - with dark brown eyes and lots of dark hair. She's 10 months old now and will look beautiful in red. I'd love to make sweaters for the other 4 grandkids; only time will tell.:manyheart

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks ago I couldn't think about Christmas. The leaves are starting to drop off the trees now, and the edge of the heat has changed to late summer.

Am thinking of bookmarks, and a snowflake or two. Perhaps a lap robe for a nursing home, and an extra for a back-up present.

I have started three Christmas gift ideas. First is a crocheted tote bag full of crocheted hats for one niece, 8 years of age, who loves hats. I have the bag completed and will be working on the hats in between everything else. :lol

Second gift is crocheted fast food, pizza, hamburger with fixings, french fries in a carton, a shake in a glass with straw and more. I found an old pattern booklet I had bought years ago and have a grand nephew in Florida who loves to turn my sister's living room into a drive through. :takeout

And then there are the "Jingle Bell" scarves I didn't get to make for a few nieces and one of my daughters. this is a pattern I designed which has crocheted bells at each end of the scarf with one real large jingle bell sewn into them so the scarf does jingle. When I made the first ones everyone went crazy for them. My married daughter stole my grandaughter's to wear herself and I had to make another one for her. It's done with medium knitting worsted and takes almost two skeins of yarn. :gift

Hence I am really "2much2do"! :yes

Archived