Ist time dyeing with Wilton's cake dyes

dragontatt

After doing a little dyeing with Kool-aid, I wanted to try something with more possible colors, so I tried Wilton's cake dyes.

I used Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool, 6 different color dyes and a few feww hours last Friday and got 8 differently sized hanks (oops!) of very pretty yarn. Then I wound them up using my new ball-winder (I just love the way they look wound up like that!) and I just love love love the colors!!

http://pics.livejournal.com/dragontatt/pic/0001c77k

http://pics.livejournal.com/dragontatt/pic/0001dscc

What do you guys think?

Vivian

:yay

:cheer :cheer those look so cool!!!!!! great job!!!!!! i never heard of the cake dyes, where did you get them? what colors did you start with? do you have a project in mind for these wonderful colors? :manyheart :manyheart

you can buy cake dyes at Michaels, walmart and anywhere that sells cake decorating supplies, wilton.com has them too...bakerycrafts.com is a good place to start...can you tell i'm a baker? lol

Thought I'd answer everyone's questions:

Kisha29- I got my cake dyes at Wal-mart for very cheap, the colors I used were: orange, pink, violet, teal, buttercup yellow and cornflower blue.

Since this was my first attempt I didn't have a project in mind, but I think I'll make squares of the different colors, sew them together and felt it into a purse.

Sparkles- The only reason the balls were different sizes is because I made different size hanks from the skein before I dyed them. I just need to remember to be consisitent.

Nan-nan: I used this tutorial.

http://www.reenieart.com/painttutorial.htm

It tells everything you need to know, including how to make it varigated.

Katecrochets: I believe in order to do cotton dyeing, you need acid dyes, but I'm not sure.

Ladycrochat: The tutorial above really has everything you need to know. I bought some squeeze bottles at Wal-Mart in the silverware aisle that I used to squirt the dye onto the yarn. It really was easy, but it did take a good few hours.

Vivian

• 3 weeks later...

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! :2hug. You have just inspired me to enter into an whole new realm of crochet. :hook. The last two, of my little tribe of indians will be going to school this year (all day) :woo:jumpyay, and I have been VERY concerned about what I will do with all this FREE time on my hands :scrachin. This is going to be tooooooooooooo fun! :hug

Cotton needs to be dyed with fabric dye such as Rit, because it is plant fiber. I've dyed wool with kool aid, food coloring, and the cake colors. I know people have used commercial Easter egg dye too. I had planned to start using the more toxic chemical dyes and purchased all different pots and pans for it, but since I had to move in with my mom for a while, I promised her to only use non-toxic food safe dyes that won't make us sick cause we don't have the space or equipment to use the other safely.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived