A helpful tip

I realized this tip this morning. It is best not to have Sesame Street on in the background when you are working on something requiring you to count stitches. It is really hard to remember your stitch count, when the tv keeps repeating 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... etc, etc for the number of the day. :laughroll

:lol My DH does that INTENTIONALLY to me :devil. We end up shouting numbers!!! I try to out-do him so I don't loose count and he gets louder and louder.

He thinks it's funny!!!! :oops

My significant other does that to me when we're out at a community meeting. We have one friend who always says "You Know" practically every sixth word when she speaks, and my significant other will sit there and COUNT how many times she's saying it! Usually right when I'm trying to keep track of a pattern!!! What's even funnier is when another friend of ours accompanies us and they both get arguing afterwards over how many time the woman said "You Know."

Several years ago I was making my daughter a surprise afghan that took about 40 bazillion 3 inch squares to make 12 squares that had the pattern of cats on it. (She LOVES cats) It also had alot of squares needed for the border. Well, I needed a certain number of black squares and I asked her to count them. Her count said that I needed to make 2 more -- so I made them and she died laughing cuz I had the right amount to start with and she (being a bratty teenager) thought it was so funny that she made me make 2 more squares. All I said was "You'll be sorry."

When I finished the thing and surprised her with it she was so happy she started crying. And then when she realized it was made with all the little squares she got all embarassed and apologized (and still does to this day) for making me make 2 squares more. I reminded her that I had told her she'd be sorry.

So, my tip is to count your own squares. :yes

Guest Catlizg

Why is it when I have to count any amount of stitches over 10, I have to count them 5 or 6 times to make sure I'm right?

Guest Catlizg

Oops, I posted before I was finished. I finally solved my own problem. If any pattern has more than 10 stitches that need to be counted out, I put a marker every 10 stitches on the first row. Also gives me a visual guideline as I'm working away.

I watch a lot of sports while crocheting. Just try keeping count while they keep giving scores and stats. It is mind-bending. Sometimes I am home alone and the TV is giving stats and I have to scream out my count. The life of a crochet nut.:yes

Why is it when I have to count any amount of stitches over 10, I have to count them 5 or 6 times to make sure I'm right?

Get stitch markers and put 1 every 10 or 20 stitches (samll paper clips work too).

Ellie 13

I try not to crochet when my daughter is watching cartoons not only the counting but she loves to walk over and grab the yarn and run with it and then when i get mad she laughs at me. She is a little monster but i love her.

:rofl :rofl I am still laughing. Some of the stories are just so funny.:rofl :rofl

Ahhhhhhhhh the life and times of a crocheter. Hey, that sounds like a soap opera. We could be on TV.:lol

Laughing along with you all. I read some of these comments to my dh, our computers are side by side and he felt SO BAD for you all. He hates frogging more then I do. And yes, he knows all about the counting thing, he usually will say: Are you counting? Let me know when you get to a stopping point so I can talk to you. What a great guy!

Our guys are just alike! Aren't we lucky?! My DH does the same thing. And if he sees me frogging something he will ask if he can help roll the ball back up. He also helps me turn my skeins into balls. And has been known to go to Walmart ALL BY HIMSELF to get me yarn when I was injured in a wreck a few years ago...Great guys. We are so blessed.

robyn in GA

my family is family is great when it comes to me counting, however, those at work will "try" to confuse me when I am counting. I now tell them I not counting when they start counting out loud. Those ladies forget I have two girls who I have learned to tune out when they use to have they're screaming fits:blush

HOLY CRAP! i thought i was the only one who had this prob!!!! YAY

I realized this tip this morning. It is best not to have Sesame Street on in the background when you are working on something requiring you to count stitches. It is really hard to remember your stitch count, when the tv keeps repeating 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... etc, etc for the number of the day. :laughroll

Archived