What is going on at Joanns?

Tampa Doll

Ok, I went to Joann's today to get some crochet thread and some 12" round cake plates for my bed doll.

I am walking around and I went to where the cake stuff is usually, and it is empty, I mean shelves down nothing in the isle empty. I couldn't believe it. So I ask a sales person what is going on, where is the cake stuff.

I am told "Oh, they moved them, to where the bridal stuff is at. We are going to add 3 more isles of scrap booking stuff."

Now I am sorry and I do not mean to offend anyone, but give me a break, how many pieces of paper and stickers do they need for scrap booking?

Yarn and thread are in a little spot they squeezed in to the store and it almost looks like they are making it even smaller. We have so few places we can go to get yarn and such and it is getting worse.

Can anyone hear me? We need a good Yarn :yarn store here. Boy do I miss Lee Wards.:hook

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we're getting a "super" joannes in my town...... the building is HUGE!

it's right next to walmart; across the street from michaels and target.

hope they have a bigger selection than the store has now

Tampa Doll, I agree with you completely!

I actually love scrapbooking but my goodness, there is no need to have an entire aisle full of open stock paper. I hardly EVER buy open stock paper. I usually buy it in the packages. It's just insane! Our Jo-Anns has so many open slots for yarn that never gets filled and the Wilton section? Please! When I took the Wilton Classes last year and needed "the Class 3 kit" and Michaels was out of them I bought it from Jo-Anns and had to return it. Come to find out, it's the old kit (from 4 years ago) and didn't have the right stuff in it. That same kit I returned is STILL on the shelves! It won't help anyone taking the class! Why they don't just reduce that one and order more stock is beyond me. Plus the last time I bought a tube of icing it was so old the stuff was hard as a rock.

See the rant you made me get into! LOL

Now I am sorry and I do not mean to offend anyone, but give me a break, how many pieces of paper and stickers do they need for scrap booking?

I'm glad scrapbookers love their hobby...but I don't get it either!.

Scrappers probably don't understand us any better...I just wish the craft stores did!

I hear you , Mary Jo. I'm disgusted with my JoAnns too and with just about every other one across the U.S. Their yarn sections are messy or non-exisitant and their customer service is generally poor. I know we have a few members who work at JoAnns and I'm sure that they don't contribute to the problems we're seeing so I hope they won't be offended.

I just wish that the company would make a commitment to sell craft supplies instead of all the junk that clutters their aisles and entrances!

Mine doesn't have any cake stuff. I was looking for some a few weeks ago to use my 40% off coupon. I found the wedding aisle (well, a 3 foot section of an aisle anyway), but no cake stuff.

I agree with you about the scrapbooking. I never let myself start because I could see it would become an even bigger addiction than crocheting. They already have way too many choices and we don't have enough.

I overheard someone at work talking to her friend about their favorite fabric/quilting store. She told her that one whole wall of the store now had yarn. The other person said YARN?? in a disgusted tone, so I guess it goes both ways.

I just wish that the company would make a commitment to sell craft supplies instead of all the junk that clutters their aisles and entrances!

YES! If they got rid of the plastic plates and candy and crappy little toys at the front of the store, they'd have plenty of room for CRAFT items and maybe we wouldn't have to walk all the way to the dark corner in the back of the store to get yarn!

I'd like more yarn, too.

However getting rid of scrapper's supplies isn't the answer. They do need more choices. I buy it sometimes and I get tired of the same old stuff. I don't like all that Americana stuff and many others. Kits aren't a good option as I don't want cookie cutter results. Most times I'm making something that has nothing to do with scrapping but I need the paper or embellishments and a kit would be too much left overs for my house with no storage and too spendy for my tight wallet.

I'd much rather see the stores get rid of fuzzy, furry, nubby yarn. There's only so much you can make with fun fur types.

;)

I was just in my Joann store last night and I saw the big blank spaces by the yarn with posters that said "you'll like what is coming"or something to that effect.So,being the impatient person I am I asked the girl at the counter and she said in june they are getting a whole bunch of new stuff...so hopefully all those blank spaces will have tons of new yarns.And a better crochet book selection(while they're at it:blush )

I so agree with everyone here! JoAnn's is getting me to frown lately. I go in and the yarn selections are so poor. Most of the bins are either empty or 1 or 2 skeins in them. I'm thinking of going the the "Yarn Shop" instead. At least that's all they sell is yarn, so maybe I will be able to find a decent choice of colors over there.

So many stores that once carried yarn have cut back on their inventory or are not carrying it at all. We don't have Joann's here in Ontario, but we do have Wal-Mart and a store called Zellers. They have both cut back on their yarn sections and do not maintain what they have. (though they do seem to carry an over abundance of eyelash and novelty yarns) When I need to get yarn for a project, it is almost impossible to get enough of the right color and type needed when the bins are empty or all mixed-up. It is frustrating. I just have a regular Wal-Mart, but I have heard the super ones do not carry yarn at all. Is that true? I wind up buying on the net and paying a lot of duty to have yarn sent from the U.S. to Canada--as I can't always find a Canadian internet store that carries the brand I am looking for. I do have a "knitting store" about five miles away, but it only carries very expensive yarns, which are wonderful but not always affordable.

Thanks for letting me rant on.

The changes that JoAnn's is going through must be company wide. I went into the one here in Durham, NC and it was tore up from the floor up! They had been moving counters around, the floors where dirty from moving the counters and not stipping the floors yet. The shelves where nearly bare and I couldn't find a thing. I was very disappointed as this was my first trip there ever.

Maybe we should give them a few weeks and see what they are doing? If not we still have Michael's, AC Moore, Walmart and the others.

I too, am so disappointed in JoAnn's lately. The yarn section isn't worth a second look, and they are just loaded with indoor and outdoor decorations, same old, same old. We have an A.C. Moore and are getting a Michaels, I am about ready to ditch Joann's. When you do go in there with a 40% off coupon, they have most of the stuff you want or need on sale and you can't use the coupon anyway.

I had no idea. I haven't been out to our JoAnn's in a while (it's 45 minutes away). I tend to do my yarn shopping at Walmart or Michaels, as they are nearer, or AC Moore if I need something I can't find anywhere else. I haven't really seen any scaling back on Walmart's part here, except that they've discontinued Mainstays.

I, too, have noticed the overabundance of novelty and eylash yarns...honestly, I don't know a soul who uses them, except for one friend of mine who makes boa scarves as presents.

Of course, as it is, a lot of the time I end up ordering online. Especially if I have a big project and I know a store isn't going to be carrying 10 skeins of whatever I'm using.

I hear you Tampa Doll!!! I needed " The pounder in Pink" They didn't have it at Hancock so, went to JoAnns Most of the bins were empty. ( 60%) Like they never stock there yarn. And it's not the first time I been there and it was like that.. I asked if they had the yarn and the girl told me that what you see is all we have...

Lee Wards haven't seen one of those since I was in MN..

Have patience, everyone... by the end of summer, things will be sorted out, just in time for the holiday shopping season (which, let's face it, starts in August in a craft store... LOL!). Right now, all the stores are going through "MAP" (Merchandise Assortment Plan?), which is a major reorganization of the craft department, and some reorganization of other parts of the store.

I know I have posted about this on this forum more than once already, but here it is again...

Wilton is moving

Fine Arts is shrinking and moving into the framing department

Scrapbooking is expanding

Jewelry is expanding

Kids' Crafts is expanding

I don't know if yarn is expanding... I think they are just reorganizing it to fit in what we have. I still haven't gotten a straight answer on that. I do know it's NOT shrinking, though. I do agree, though, that the novelty yarn is way out of control. Ick. Too much!!!!

The decisions about what is expanding and what is shrinking is in response to national trends... we're all yarn-focussed here, but that's not the case for everyone. ;) Scrapbooking is a BIG seller. Doesn't interest me, but to each their own.

So, please PLEASE be patient ... if not for Jo-Ann's sake, for -my- sake. LOL! I can't speak for all stores, and all employees at all stores, but I personally try to keep informed about what's going on in the company. I do try to answer questions and concerns here wherever I can. I don't have anything to do with policy and merchandising, but I do try to find stuff out. I'm actually the Education Coordinator in my store, so sometimes I really do need to make the extra effort to find stuff out. :) Obviously I wouldn't be able to share confidential stuff, but everything I posted here has been passed on to the team members at opening/closing meetings in my store, for us to pass on to guests when they have questions. You may not technically be a guest in my store, but you -are- a guest of the company! :D

As for "local management decisions," store management has nothing to do with what stores carry and where it goes. Everything is plan-o-grammed by corporate. You should SEE the pile of paperwork they have for MAP... it's mind-boggling. Every day I go in there's something new! I have to do a self-guided store tour every shift so I know where things are day by day. Heheh.

No worries, in the end, it'll all be sorted. You may not be thrilled with all the changes, but the company is doing its best to match trends in the industry -- ALL of them, not just needle arts. ;)

I don't have a Joann's near me, but when I was in Arizona I went to one there and was really impressed. They had such pretty yarns, much nicer than Michaels!! so of course, I had to buy alot of it. I also bought yarn for my swap partners but had to buy the same for myself, because I just couldn't bear to give it all away!!!! :think

Hi, Suebee! thank you for that explanation - I've got a good friend who likes to "crop", I believe is the slang, and invites all us girlfriends over when her menfolk are off camping. I bring my yarn and hooks (I'm the lone holdout from cropping), and we all watch a girl movie and create. Lots of fun, and from what they say, scrapbooking supplies can be really expensive; I'm sure they'll appreciate a wider selection at Jo-Anns in the future.

Isn't it interesting how we can compare notes on what the (multi-)national chains are doing in our various corners of the world? Otherwise, the only advise I'd get would be running into somebody and chatting while out shopping.....

Viva communication!

Sorry Suebee42, didn't mean to upset anyone. I just get so frustrated here.:thair

We only have Joann's and Michaels. The one Michaels near me is so bad, that when we are out, my DH ask if I want to stop in and yell at them.lol:lol

:sigh I would give my right arm for an AC Moore here. I am reduced to almost all my shopping being done on line.

I was out looking for a paticular color of thread, and no one and I mean no one had it. The bad thing was I only needed a little. So I ended up buying some embroidery thread, that was close in color, but not right. I can see the difference.:no

I know it isn't all the stores and the employees are usually very good. I don't yell or take my frustration out on them. Heck that is what you guys are for:lol .

Time to take a deep breath, let it out and ______________________(you finish the sentence.) Mine is eat lots of ice cream.:lol

One of our local Joann's closed and moved to a new location. It has become a "superstore". I was flabbergasted when I walked into it. The fabric section is smack in the middle of the store and every craft you can think of is pretty much represented in the store. They have a very good yarn selection, but a very small amount of each color/type on the shelves. And they're not the best at restocking those small shelves. Actually, if it weren't for the fabric, it would be very easy to mistake the store for a Michael's.

Suebee, I hope you know that when we vent about JoAnns we aren't venting about you. I think we all agree that we wish you worked at our local Jo-Anns near us! LOL

If only the people at my local Joanns were as knowledgeable and nice as you I'd enjoy shopping there much more! I think what's more of a pain than anything is the bins with the expensive yarns are overflowing but there are only a handful of Simply Soft, Red Heart and Wool-Ease there.

Maybe you can answer a dumb question I have...

Why is it if I'm doing an even exchange like a skein of Simply Soft in white exchanging for a Simply Soft in black that if I don't have my reciept I have to fill out a big form and give them my ID? I could see if I were returning it for a refund, but it's an even exchange... Jo-Anns is the ONLY store I know of that requires a reciept or ID for an even exchange. Just wondered??? (I never seem to keep my reciepts so if I need to exchange something I always have to fill out a big form and it's a pain!)

Another nice note about the Arizona Joann's = I was looking at yarn and the woman was there stocking the shelves, she took notice of what I was eyeing and said to me - come with me - let me show you some other yarns that I know you will love. And she was right, I bought 6 skeins of what she recommended!! She was so nice - I love when I meet people like that in a store :cheer

Archived