PA Newspaper Article

Hi everyone! Apparently it's 1953 in some parts of the country still. Read this newspaper article and if it irks you as much as it does me, feel free to email the author and let her know (her email is towards the beginning of the article).

He, yes HE, crochets!

PS: I used the term "irk" to keep it rated G. My actual feelings about the article are a bit less polite. :angry

:bang

Drew... I must've missed something but I don't see that it's bad. Tell me what is bugging you about it...

I'll certainly send them a "note." As a kid I was often teased for being a "girly" girl, but I also played with (my!) matchbox cars and tag and other games with the boys! Needleworking (of all varieties!) is a craft, in the sense that it takes an artisan to create items, often infusing each with their own style and personality. These crafts really should not be viewed as any other tyoes of crafts- Men and women are sculptors, painters, model builders! AARRGGHH...Now you've got me aggrivated too! Yes, I'll send them a "note!."

Katie:cat

Is it the "girly" bit, the "knit" bit, or the tone that "how surprising" it is that a manly man should crochet? Or perhaps it is the guy's reluctance to admit he enjoys it as much as he does (if he finishes a full-sized afghan in 2 weeks...)?

He hasn't submitted his work to the county fair because he doesn't want people to know, but now that he's been in the newspaper (with reprint on the Internet), the whole world is finding out :lol

Granted that the writer's attitude seems dated to us here at Crochetville, I think that's still the norm in most of the country. Drew, you are doing great service by keeping up your blog and reaching out to people. I will write to the author and let her know about contemporary artistry of crocheters, including guys. Oh, and that it's not "knit", even if it was a direct quote from the guy's wife (who, interestingly, is named Jo Ann).

It does make me wonder how many guys would be addicted to crocheting, if only they would give it a chance...

Drew... I must've missed something but I don't see that it's bad. Tell me what is bugging you about it...

What irks me the most is that this journalist is reporting in such a way that we should be amazed that there is actually a man who crochets. It's terribly condescending.

How would it be if a journalist had reported that:

She's a dentist, yes,
SHE'S
a dentist. Although she's ashamed, a woman (you heard me right, a
woman
) actually has the ability to be a dentist. Amazing.....

Reporting this type of gender bias is only going to hurt all the young people who are trying to live out loud without shame. If a 16 year old dude reads that article he may get it in his head that although he enjoys crocheting (or knitting or whatever) he must hide it and be ashamed. So sad!!

Thank goodness my dad, the burly Marine (and decorated war veteran) never felt he had to hide his crocheting. Where would I be now?

I guess I have to kind of snicker a bit. The whole Dentist thing helped me to understand where you are coming from...

Truth is, though, that that kind of revelation, condescending though it may be, is how Women performing in previously non-traditional roles (things like Dentists) became more well known. It starts as a trickle and before you know it, that little trickle is a river with a giant roar!

Perhaps, we might look on the bright side and see that a man, a MANLY MAN, has been revealed as a crocheter!

Drew, thanks to you and other men not afraid to voice their love of these arts, men doing needle arts such as knit and crochet are becoming more common place. I was in a yarn shop up in Lake Tahoe a few weeks ago and on the counter were pics of some very hip snow boarder dudes, needles in hand, stitching away on some gorgeous sweaters - these pics weren't staged either. These were actual customers and students. There was also a pic of a very large, muscular hunk of a guy only wearing shorts & pink bunny slippers knitting. Hmmm... do you think many guys would find that degrading? Probably, but in one sense, he's getting the message out. And, he was darn cute!

Oh well... I didn't think it was that bad... but maybe that's just the day I'm having. I do understand your side, though.

:hug

I guess I have to kind of snicker a bit. The whole Dentist thing helped me to understand where you are coming from...

Oh well... I didn't think it was that bad... but maybe that's just the day I'm having. I do understand your side, though.

:hug

It actually does make me snicker too, now that I think about it. :blush

This poor guy needs an intervention more than anything! :rofl

I feel sorry for this gentleman. He feels he has to hide something he truley loves, and then justify it by telling that he learned after being injured doing a manly thing "war". Woman have had to hide the fact that they want to grow up and be fireman, constrution workers, and policeman for how many years. Maybe someday everyone will be "allowed" to be whatevery they want to be. I taught my son to crochet the same time I taught my daughter. Neither one of them really show an interest, but my son doen't have a problem telling anybody that he knows how. I let him play with his sister's dolls too, and he is a great Dad! My daughter used to pay him to babysit with her so he could change the diapers. She learned how to fix washing machines and she is very proud of being able to do that.

"The common eye sees only the outside of things and judges by that, but the seeing eye pierces through and reads the heart and the soul, finding there capacities which the outside didn't indicate or promise, and which the other kind couldn't detect." (Mark Twain)

I need not say more.

What irks me the most is that this journalist is reporting in such a way that we should be amazed that there is actually a man who crochets. It's terribly condescending.

How would it be if a journalist had reported that:

She's a dentist, yes,
SHE'S
a dentist. Although she's ashamed, a woman (you heard me right, a
woman
) actually has the ability to be a dentist. Amazing.....

Reporting this type of gender bias is only going to hurt all the young people who are trying to live out loud without shame. If a 16 year old dude reads that article he may get it in his head that although he enjoys crocheting (or knitting or whatever) he must hide it and be ashamed. So sad!!

I don't like the condescending tone either.

Women still get tons of it. I love Sci Fi, Star Trek, and Star Wars. I can't tell you how "irked" I get because everything is aimed at boys and men. My two year old daughter loves Star Wars, too and knows more about it than most adults. However when we want to buy her anything, it's usually from the boys department. Not fair and not right.

So I totally get how you feel on this. And rightly so.

Well that journalist sounded a bit stunned because it was a man who crochets. Who said that this particular art was for women only. If it pleases him then nobody else should give a darn. The movie star Pam Grier has a brother who must be at least 250 pounds and stands at least 6'4" and he does needle work, and I bet no one made snide remarks to him, especially due to his size. If thats the case what about all the women of today that do mens jobs? I believe that a person should do what pleases them and not what pleases others. That's why the Lord made us all different.

Terri in Winter Park Florida

Drew, I also sent a note to the reporter. If you'll notice, in the same article, a little further down, it says that this gentleman's wife goes deep sea fishing with him, Gasp...isn't that typically a male sport?:eek I didn't see an article written about the wife and her proclivity to indulge in an embarrassing activity such as deep sea fishing!:blush

This was a promt reply to my note to the author (of which I never expected a reply) If the gentleman in the story was not offended then I have no right to be.

Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 8:48 AM

Subject: Re: NOT YOUR USUAL HOBBYIST He, yes he, crochets

I'm sorry you were offended. That certainly wasn't my intention. As you note, it was a lighthearted story. I tried to have fun with it, not make fun, of Mr. Walk. I guess this just goes to show how perceptions differ between people. He loved the story, by the way. Again, my apologies if you feel the story belittled males who take part in this activity.

> NOT YOUR USUAL HOBBYIST

> He, yes he, crochets

>

> Interesting choice of words....is this an implication that men who

> crochet are gay or less manly........were the constant points about

> hunting and fishing trying to show he is less of a man by crocheting

> and hides behind "manly" sports?

>

> C'mon although funny that story is a little offensive to several men I

> know that crochet......I myself learned to crocheted in physical rehab

> when I was in service over 20 years ago and still enjoy hunting and

> fishing...but in no way does crocheting make me less of a man.

>

> Your story not only poked fun at men who crochet (and there are a lot

> of

> us) but may have really embarrassed the individual the story was about.

Wow. I'm surprised that the reporter responded, although I don't think she quite understood the reason that the article is offfensive. She makes it sound like you just lack a sense of humour, which was exactly the point; that a man crochets 'is NOT funny'!

I sent an email to both the reporter and the editor of the paper.

Hopefully, they'll have a better understanding of crochet, as well as what it means to REPORT THE NEWS!

Monica

While I can understand your frustration, I think that the greater good, some people opening their eyes to the fact that this isn't a pastime that only older women enjoy, might have been attained. Some of us younger women get looks and are made fun of when we're crocheting too. Comments like "hey granny, whatcha knitting?" or looks of suprise that we would enjoy crochet when people ask what we're doing are common. While I obviously understand that those comments and looks would be all the greater if I were a man, and in no way mean to imply younger women face the same attitudes as male crocheters. I guess I just want to point out that part of the point of the article is to point out that all kinds of people enjoy crochet...and that's a good thing.

This wasn't meant to offend anyone, especially you Drew who I respect greatly...but I feel think the lesson learned from the article was a positive one.

Thanks for sharing this Drew. I didn't like the title of this article either. It was made to sound like this man should be ashamed.

Unfortunately we live in a world where this is still "womens work" and not mens. My poor nephew who asked me to teach him really isn't comfortable telling anyone that he learned and likes doing it. His older brother rags on him all the time which isn't right. When I told his older brother that many men now do this he just snickered at me. I actually tried to show him your blog but he didn't even want to open his mind to this. The younger boy (who I taught to crochet) is really more of a hands on, creative person. He's just like me where as the older one is much more interested in school, girls and being cool. My younger nephew and I have a great time when they come over as we'll go in the kitchen and make cakes and cookies together and have a wonderful time, where the older one likes to play Chess with my DH.

Their dad doesn't say much but you can tell he's none too pleased I taught him! Their mom loves it though. When they were all over for New Years he sat next to me and we crocheted together. It was the first family gathering since I've been a part of this family where he sat still for more than 10 minutes. I wish we could show people this isn't a ladies craft but a craft for everyone!

You keep plugging along Drew. One by one the world will turn! :hook

Guest Catlizg

You know I re-read and re-read that article. Yeah, it definitely came across condescending, but on third read through I wonder if the author meant just what he said, that he was trying to have fun with it. I'm wondering if the author was playing a very "devil's advocate, tongue in cheek" type role poking fun at the READER'S possible perception of men crocheting. In other words, the writer didn't actually think men crocheting was the point as much as other people's reactions to men crocheting. Funny, we wouldn't think twice about a man as an artist so what's the difference - hook and yarn is just another medium for artistic expression.

A good friend who is in his 90's proudly tells of his days in prison camp in Germany during WWII. They were terribly cold and had only ragged sweaters which he unraveled and crocheted back together. He taught himself, made his own hook and kept himself and his mates a little warmer. When he sees some of my crochet work he knows the name of the stitches and pattern. I'd love to get him busy on some prayer shawls.

I agree the writer's tone is dated. She needs enlightening and maybe a crochet afghan or two. LOL

I got a reply from the author promptly also; she seemed surprised at the reaction generated by her article. Her response was basically the same and she thanked me for my feedback.

I think it's these little things that will make a difference in the long run. I had sent her a link to Drew's blog, and I think I'll reply one more time and send a link to today's annie's attic article posted by salos

link to Crochetville topic:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24893

direct link to article:

http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/...?content_id=407

and I'll send her a link to that crocheting football player that Drew posted a while back.

link to Crochetville topic:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12398

direct link to article:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050819/NEWS0301/508190362

Terrie Morgan-Besecker to me

More options 9:56 am (1 hour ago)

Thanks for writing. I have to tell you, I'm surprised by the reaction

this story

generated. You are the third person to write to comment negatively on

the tone.

Please understand, the story was meant to be a light hearted feature. I

went with

the "a guy embarassed to admit he crochets" for two reasons. One, it is

the path

Mr. Walk sent me on with his comments and two, it is unusual for men to

crochet.

That's what made this a story. I don't believe the story in any way

reflected negatively on the art of chrocheting. Mr. Walk was not at all

embarassed by the story. He loved it. I guess that just goes to show how

peoples perceptions differ!

Again, I thank you for writing to express your views. I always like to

get

feedback, positive or negative.

- Hide quoted text -

Katie Sommer wrote:

> I am very disappointed in the obvious gender bias expressed in your

> recent article regarding Ed Walk, particularly the title. Crochet and

> other forms of needlework is an art form and manner for expressing

> one's creativity. Just as painting, sculpting and playing music are

> art forms. Articles such as yours serve to continue the incorrect and

> damaging notion that needlework is a "woman's hobby." Needlework

> involves a great deal of skill and patience as well as fine motor

> control.Your research, if you conducted any was severely lacking. In

> the past few years many men who do needlework have begun to "band"

> together in an attempt to make their voices heard and their pieces

> seen. Historically tailoring was a man's trade. Have you ever seen

> an antique, hand-woven rug? Most were made by men.As a girl I did

> learn to sew and some other basic needlecrafts. I also played with

> (MY) Matchbox cars and Star Wars toys. As hard as women have worked

> these last 100 years to make those activities "okay," let's not make

> the same mistake and effeminate whole categories of activities. Will

> that not, in time, put us back to where we started? Sincerely,Katie

> Sommer

Drew:

I hate to tell me Drew but as a woman less than 10 years ago I was forced to be the same way about a male dominated career I had chosen. I never told new friends exactly what I did because I always got a look from them.

It does bother me that it's still present but I'm not surprised. And you do have to remember that most of the problem is probably his.....he did come from a generation that had pink and blue lines. I think the writer just used his feelings as a basis for the articles spin.

But mostly I want everyone to remember. The media likes to stir up trouble in society because that sells.

Archived