Baby Afghan for Florida Baby?

Ok, you are going to think that this is a dumb question, but here it goes anyway....I live in Iowa and my cousin who lives in Florida is going to have a baby in May. She is flying back to Iowa in April for a baby shower. My first thought was to make her a baby afghan, but would she use it in Florida? I've only been to FL once and it was extremely hot. Is there something else I should make or should I still make an afghan? Quick easy pattern suggestions also, please!!

Thank you!

Of course she would!

I'm in hot, humid Atlanta and I am always under a blanket in my house. I take jackets with me to dinner and the movies. I even take blankets to the movies.

Air conditioning baby. It's cold inside. LOL

Plus I liked a light one on my daughter to keep summer breezes, the sun, light rain off her when she was first born.

I have to agree with the previous posts. I always used a blanket with my newborn in the summer in Louisiana. Of course most of the time it wasn't against her skin. I would drap it over the car seat when she was asleep to keep the sun out of her eyes and to keep nosy walmart baby touchers off her. An unseen baby is a baby not there.

I would just make sure that the pattern is airy instead of a heavier one so that air could get in better.

Calif here and my first daughter was born in May..

she had and used baby afghans.

Every baby needs a handmade baby afghan. :c9

I too would say go for it. I like to do baby afghans large enough to last til they are 1 or 2 years old.

:manyheart

It depends what part of Florida she is in. It gets VERY hot here in Palm Beach in May and continues that way until January. You can make her one but I'll bet that the Mom won't use it much. What about a soft little toy instead? Or some cute bibs with the pacifier attached. Those are easy!:)

I live in SW Florida and have 3 kids (April, May, June). I used blankets for all of them. They each had a quilt and some recieving blankets. I used the recieving blankets to cover the carseat when the babies weren't in them and also to cover the shopping cart seat before I put them in when they were older. My kids all liked to be bundled up, so I used a light blanket in the ac house all the time. As they got older, they dragged ole blankie around with them. I think all kids need a security blanket. I say...go for it. You could always make a few little somethings also. Booties, hats, toys, etc.

Suggestion: Use a "holey" baby afghan pattern... those aren't that warm anyway, but would look really pretty and be light weight for the Florida heat. (I've heard so much about...I've never been there)

Also, if you sew, you could make a lightweight receiving blanket and edge it in crochet. If you don't sew, you could buy a receiving blanket and edge it in crochet. Edgings are beautiful and really can add to a storebought item.

Whatever you end up doing, just remember the heat and make it lighter than you would for another baby in a different state.:manyheart

I dunno about Florida, but here in Hawaii I sure have used my baby blankets! As others have said, there's air conditioning everywhere. Also, bear in mind that blankets aren't just useful to cover Baby. I've used blankets for everything from groundcover at the park to a changing table in a public bathroom. Just don't make the "Baby It's Cold Outside" sweater. ;)

I live on the west coast in Central Florida, and believe me, she will use the afghan. Even if the baby is born in May, she will still use the afghan in the fall and winter. Of course, with ac, the homes can get a little cool.

I say, make her one, and believe me, she will use it.:hook

Teresa, the other thing you can do is make it out of cotton. That's probably what I would do. :) That said, I have a friend in Arizona and I made her daughter a baby blanket out of acrylic (couldn't afford the cotton at the time, so I used Simply Soft). It doesn't get used all that often, but I have been made to understand, quite emphatically, that it is a cherished gift.

Roli - :hug

lol @ Roli I stand corrected!:oops

Roli after 15 years in the TampaBay area I get cold when the temp goes

below 70. lol (nothing to do with me getting older)

I think she will like it whether she uses it or not. It’s still something made

by her cousin. Maybe a little crocheted ducky or toy to go with it.

But then I like crocheted toys. :)

I live near Fort Lauderdale. Yes, it's hot, but she'll need some blankets. If she takes the baby out to any store, restaurant or office they all over-air-condition. The baby won't need a heavy sweater or snow suit, but he/she will certainly use a light blanket, booties, sweater, etc. Just use a lighter weight yarn. I've donated some using Baby coordinates - pretty and light weight.

Congrats on the little niece or nephew!

Archived