Sports towels for the bathroom (lol)

cupcake

I have been busy over the summer crotcheting edges on some new hand towels. I call them sports towels as I do them while watching the Cricket, the Tennis, the swimming or whatever on TV during our hot summer.

I like to add a loop at the halfway mark so they hang nicely on a hook in the bathroom.

The pattern I eithor make up, or have adapted from an 80s Nihon Vogue book I have which includes Hankerchief edges.

My preference is to use a fine crotchet hook 1.00 to make a base row of one d/c 5 chain and then what ever takes my fancy. I am too impatient to do strips and then hand sew this to the towel as some patterns suggest.

Some of the towels are old bathroom towels which I have cut into thirds. I am not sure if this happens to any one else, but the clothes dryer seems to shrink the band on some makes of towels which is jolly annoying. I cut this bit off, cut the towel into three pieces, zig zagged up the sides and crotchet the ends.

So here is an even dozen, (click on the picture for a closer peak)

img65820ij.th.jpg

and I put them in the antique bedpan in our bathroom which always amuses visitors.

img65945jp.th.jpg

I hope you enjoy my silly tale.:manyheart.... (and now back to the Tennis)

I have a towel that my grandmother edged and then she added a matching flower. I can't quite figure out how the flower is done. I'm pretty sure that it is crocheted and then hand stitched to the towel.....a technique I've never seen elsewhere.

Anyway, I've had it since 1962 ish and since it's one of the few things I have of my grandmother's, I keep it put away. I came across the towel a few years ago and it started me on edging wash cloths. I go around all four sides. I've done a few hand towels but find it hard to push my hook through the thickness of some of today's towels. I've tried a few edgings that I stitch on but prefer the "stabbing through" :whewmethod. I plan to do more.

So........thanks for sharing your colorful towels (and bedpan, teeheehee). I enjoyed seeing them!

What a great idea. And I love the idea of rolling them and putting them in an old bedpan. Great bedpan, by the way! And I love how the bedpan has the instructions on how to use it right on the side. How funny is that!! Thanx for making me laugh!!! :rofl

I love those towels and the bedpan! And the doily underneath them. Did you make that too?

However, if it was in my bathroom, one of my offspring would take all the towels out and make off with the bedpan to play with it in one way or another, or somebody else would take out the towels to use one and leave the others laying all over the place, or else cram them back in the bedpan most unlike the way they were arranged.... Or just rub their wet, not-so-successfully cleaned hands all over the towels without taking them out, leaving them soggy for the next person....

But I digress! Thanks for sharing! Hopefully, young members of your household have more restraint than mine!

Do you mean the Commonwealth games? If so I have a pile of UFOs I was planning to try and work my way through.

The message on the pan is quite interesting. I often wonder how many bottoms it has been under!

I have a hook that we hang the towels on when they are in use. The spares I put in the bedpan. In addition to this I have a lovely old wash bowl with a similar arrangement in our ensuite.

Archived