Crocheting To Knitting?

I love to crochet. However, I keep finding that the things I really want to make are usually always made of knitted fibers, and not done by crochet. It's not that I want to actually give up crochet for knitting altogether - I would like to learn how to use a combination of the two when making a poncho, hat, or other article of clothing. I have looked at some beginning knitting lessons, but once you get past the basic knit and purl stitch, any deviation from this basic stitch seems too daunting for me (not like crochet, where I found it easy to learn different stitches). I guess my question really is.....Did any of you learn how to knit after you learned how to crochet? If so, can you tell me your experience, or do you have any "purls" of wisdom to share regarding learning how to knit? Thank you for any responses anyone can share.

I learned how to knit after I learned how to crochet, and like you, I am intimidated by the fancier stitches with knitting. I actually took knitting lessons to learn, but basically just learned knit, purl, increase, decrease, cast on, etc...I didn't keep at it and lost interest for alot of years before I decided to pick it back up again a few years back. I basically had to re-teach myself, but there is a series of videos I found at knittinghelp.com that are wonderful and have helped me through many a trouble spot. It is nice to have them to refer to when I "forget" something! Now if I just had the TIME to practice more....

Laurie:hook

Yep i pretty much did the same as Laurie but i haven't picked it up again. I do a form of crochet called Tunisian and you can create the look of knitting but you are using a crochet hook that is the length of a knitting needle. So i can have the best of both worlds.

I learned to knit first. I learned when I was a little kid about 8 or 9. :knit

I have only been crocheting since 1991. Truthfully, I find both still a little intimitating (spelling?) scary. Anyway, what ever craft I am working on, I keep a book next to me with the different stitches, so I can refer to it when I need to.

I am a little more relaxed knitting, because I have done it for so long. The only thing I can say, is practice like you did when you learned to crochet. Soon you will be able to go from on hook to 2 needles.:hook

I learned to knit and crochet as a child, and have no idea which came first. Knitting is knits and purls and not much else!

Just start with simple things and build up from there.

I learned to knit after I'd been crocheting for a while, and I have to say that I gave up knitting 2-3 times because it just "didn't feel right", like crochet :P

But it's like anything, you need to practice to get good, and now I still prefer to crochet, but my knitting looks just fine, and is getting more enjoyable the more I do it.

And I feel more creative now that I can do both, and if I ever strain my hands with too much crochet, I can always pick up the sticks!

I learned to crochet first by my Grandmother and about a year ago I took a knitting class at Michaels. Knitting was hard for me at first, after only holding one hook for so long, having two needles in my hands I felt clumsy. It took practice, but now I love knitting! Just like crochet, you have to work a stitch a few times to get the hang of it. But I say, take a class and give it a try! Practice makes perfect in any situation :)

Donna

I love to crochet. However, I keep finding that the things I really want to make are usually always made of knitted fibers, and not done by crochet. It's not that I want to actually give up crochet for knitting altogether - I would like to learn how to use a combination of the two when making a poncho, hat, or other article of clothing. I have looked at some beginning knitting lessons, but once you get past the basic knit and purl stitch, any deviation from this basic stitch seems too daunting for me (not like crochet, where I found it easy to learn different stitches). I guess my question really is.....Did any of you learn how to knit after you learned how to crochet? If so, can you tell me your experience, or do you have any "purls" of wisdom to share regarding learning how to knit? Thank you for any responses anyone can share.

I've been knitting a lot lately! Really, there are only 2 knitting stitches -- the knit and the purl. I know I learned these 2 basic stitches before I learned to crochet. But it is crochet that made me a better knitter -- just because it was faster and I learned how to "read my crochet" and now I am learning how to "read my knitting."

What I've been doing lately is knitting washcloths to learn various knitting patterns. Get yourself a knitting stitch dictionary and practice knitting and purling in the various patterns. I like doing washcloths because then I feel I have something other than a square swatch of acrylic after I'm done. When you get comfortable with the garter stitch (can be done with either knit or purl -- if you repeat rows, you'll get garter) then go on to stockinette (one row of knit, one row of purl, repeat) then you can go on to moss stitch and ribbed stitch, which are just different ways of combining knit and purl.

Later you can add elongated stitches (involve yarning over more than once) and yarnovers, etc. to create different patterns.

I really LOVE the knittinghelp.com site for learning how to knit. She covers most everything there -- in English and continental knitting. Plus they seem to have a very friendly Crochetville like forum too. (Not the progam interface they use, but the friendly atmosphere is lovely.)

:knit:hook

Oh yeah, the other thing that held me back in knitting but not crochet -- it is not fun or easy to fix a dropped stitch but it must learned. You use a CROCHET hook to fix your knitting! Wouldn't ya know?

But one thing I learned on knittinghelp.com that is just ingenius is the "lifeline" -- putting a piece of waste yarn in a row of your knitting in case you have to frog back. Until I saw the knittinghelp video about the "lifeline" I would get so frustrated when I had to rip out my knitting. What a simple and elegant solution!

Well I learned how to knit first, then crochet...I learned to knit when I was about 9, crochet when I was 10...however...it was literally until I was in my 40's that I decided to see if I could follow the pattern of fancier stitch manipulations for knitting out of my stitchery encyclopedia. I basically did fine...it helped too, that I live right next door to a yarn shop...but the first time I showed one of the things I was working on to the lady that owns that shop, first things out of her mouth was, "You're not doing it right..." with next to no explanation...I almost put the knitting away for good then.

As it was, even though I tried a variety of different stitches and was successful, I only finished one knitted project and that was a pair of socks that I still wear. And to make matters worse, although the yarn shop lady and I become friends and I learned a lot (like how to make knitted socks for example...) eventually we stopped being friends. I refuse to darken the theshold of that shop and I haven't picked up a pair of knitting needles since.

Instead a year or so later, I picked up my crochet hooks with a vengence...and where I hardly ever finished a knitting project, I have, in a year's time, made over 100 projects of every type of crocheting possible...simple things to experienced things...gotten published with a letter to the editor of Crochet! magazine...and am finally venturing into actually WRITING DOWN MY ORIGINAL PATTERN IDEAS.

I'm fearless with crochet. But I'm not sure I wouldn't have been so fearless with the crocheting, if I hadn't spent that time trying those more elaborate knitting patterns and stitches, and spending that time with the yarn shop lady. In spite of everything, I did learn the value of using the recommended needle (or hook for crochet) for the type of yarn you're trying to use...at least at first...there is such a thing as occasionally breaking the rules. It is intimidating at first to risk it and try something, anything, new, like a knitting stitch pattern called the Cat's Eye; but what one has to do is take a deep breath, read the pattern, and try the first stitch instruction...and go slow until you get the hang of it...

But like I said, it didn't help to have this lady right off the bat say, "You're doing it wrong" with next to no explanation...but eventually she helped me out and I was good to go for as far as I went...

Good luck...knitting has it's own rewards...

Personally I'm of the arrogant opinion that if you can handle one discipline, you should be able to at least muddle through another...but note I said "arrogant opinion"...because people are different...some can handle anything, some can handle somethings, some can deal with knitting and can't make heads or tails with crocheting (and I simply cannot wrap my head around that) and others are the opposite...'give me crocheting or give me death' would basically be their motto...

I learned to knit and crochet at the same time. But, then I left both for a while. I picked crocheting back up before picking up knitting.

One of the things that helped with switching between the two is I knit Connental (spelling?) style which is where I hold the yarn in my right hand and use my left needle to do the work just like I do in Crochet. ( I'm left handed, so for a right handed person, you would hold the yarn in your left hand and use the right hand needle to do the work.) So, I'm able to use my crochet yarn handeling skills with knitting.

Also, I use circular needles, even when I'm going back and forth in rows for two reasons: one it's better for your wrists, and two I find having those strait needles sticking way out just feels very odd....

I agree with the person who said to get a book with differnt stich patterns, start simple and work up from there. Go at your own pace. Once you can knit, purl, increase, decrease, the gater stich (you either knit every row or purl ever row when strait knitting), and sockinette (knit one row, purl one, when strait knitting) you can do a lot of the patterns out there. There are a lot of facny things that you can do with knitting. But, you can make about 90% of the patterns I've seen with just those skills.

Some people learn better from books, and some learn from classes. If one way isn't working for you, try the other way. Also, a lot of communities have local knitting get togethers. Try finding out about when they are. Usually the people who go there don't mind helping out a newbie.

I learned to knit as a child...but that was so long ago I forgot! I recently tried it again but it feels sooooo awkward to me, even the continental style (I absolutely cannot use my right hand to throw that yarn!) and I have a very hard time keeping my stitches consistent. But I will keep on as I want to be able to do both.

Crochet feels so natural to me.

I learned to crochet while I was pregnant with my son. (that was 17 yrs ago :eek ) I can remember how much trouble I had crocheting at first, but I didn't let that stop me. In October I decided I wanted to give knit a try. I have always covet knits... 3 months have gone by and I am so addicted. I made some hats, scarves, a cardigan (not finished), and a sweater (completed and already worn). Learning was a challenge, but I am so glad I stuck with it. I love crochet. Just on the knit kick because it is so new to me.

Hello :) I've been crocheting for over 20 years, and don't remember having a problem grasping the stitches and such...but knitting? Yeah right. I tried to teach myself numerous times in the last 10 years but for the life of me, I couldn't get it....This year for Christmas, my BIL bought me a Learn-to-Knit kit, and with the help of http://www.anniemodesitt.com, I learned how to knit!!:cheer

...this type of knitting made the most sense to me coming from a crochet background...I basically hold the left needle still, holding the yarn through my left fingers, and use the right needle similar to a crochet hook, without having to "throw the yarn over" and such. Another thing that helped me, was to know that you can switch the needles after each row and not have to knit backwards with your left hand (if that makes sense :think ). Also, seeing how you use the crochet hook to fix the mistakes was an "a-ha!" moment of how knitting is similar to crochet....

Anyways, so far I've knitted a hat and long scarf, and am in the process of making slippers for my DH...But check out the website, it was quite helpful!

~K

I tried knitting. Even took an adult education course for learning to knit. Knitting just doesn't hold my interest as crocheting does. I think it's because (1) I prefer crocheting afghans; not interested in wearables (other than a scarf) and (2) crocheting works up quicker than knitting.

But there sure are LOTS of great knitted afghan patterns out there and I want to make some of them. From Needles To Hook, complete guide to converting knit patterns to crochet is what I'm using to make some of these beautiful afghans. The book is put out by The Needlecraft Shop. I'm sure the Annie's Attic website has more info if you're interested.

I learned to crochet over 40 years ago and then tried to learn to knit. I mastered the knit stitch and that was it for many, many years. About 14 months ago I tried again, but found knitting way too slow. Then a couple weeks ago it called to me again and I've been going full speed. Instead of making dishcloths to learn patterns, I'm making small blankets for the local NICU. Preemie blankets can be so much smaller than regular blankets..... :) The red, white and blue ones are stockinette stitch, the white one a diagonal, and the yellow one a basket weave. I'm still working on the yellow one.

th_StockinettelargeJan06.jpg

th_StockinettesmallJan06.jpg

th_DiagnoalJan06.jpg

th_BasketweaveJan06.jpg

I've been knitting a lot lately! Really, there are only 2 knitting stitches -- the knit and the purl. I know I learned these 2 basic stitches before I learned to crochet. But it is crochet that made me a better knitter -- just because it was faster and I learned how to "read my crochet" and now I am learning how to "read my knitting."

What I've been doing lately is knitting washcloths to learn various knitting patterns. Get yourself a knitting stitch dictionary and practice knitting and purling in the various patterns. I like doing washcloths because then I feel I have something other than a square swatch of acrylic after I'm done. When you get comfortable with the garter stitch (can be done with either knit or purl -- if you repeat rows, you'll get garter) then go on to stockinette (one row of knit, one row of purl, repeat) then you can go on to moss stitch and ribbed stitch, which are just different ways of combining knit and purl.

Later you can add elongated stitches (involve yarning over more than once) and yarnovers, etc. to create different patterns.

I really LOVE the knittinghelp.com site for learning how to knit. She covers most everything there -- in English and continental knitting. Plus they seem to have a very friendly Crochetville like forum too. (Not the progam interface they use, but the friendly atmosphere is lovely.)

:knit:hook

Wow - this sounds exactlly like me! I've loved crochet for 20+ years. Over the last 3 years I decided I wanted to learn to knit. I bought a "Learn to Knit" book - 2 needles and thought I'd be off to the races. Umm, didn't exactly work out that way. I tried on and off for the last 3 years, only to figure out I was trying to learn the "wrong" way. I was trying to learn the English method - SO wasn't working. I'm so use to managing the yarn with my left hand, that I couldn't master "throwing" the yarn with my right. I bought the Stich & B**ch book, and :idea Continental method made sooo much sense. I finally mastered the Knit & Purl last May. I've knitted a towel topper (so much slower than crochet version), & my very first wearable item - a cardigan in Home Spun. So pretty - I'm still amazed I pulled it off. I'm currently working on my first knit baby blanket. Again - so slow, but a new experience.

It was slow going at first. Alot of knit & rip (due to dropped stitches I hadn't figured out how to fix them in the early stages). But definitely worth the time invested. One more crafty way to express myself. Crochet will ALWAYS be my first love (and preference). But knit is a wonderful art in it's own way.

Good luck & Practice, Practice, Practice:cheer :cheer :cheer . It'll be second nature in no time!:yay

I agree practice is the only way to get good at it. But for me, I needed a lot of inspiration to try knitting. I learned to crochet first since I was 10, most of it was self-taught (from reading books). I convinced myself that if I learned to crochet by myself I could learn knitting the same way.

I didnt have enough patience for knitting though, because I was used to finishing a project in just a fraction of the time if it was in crochet.

The only motivation for me to learn knitting is that I wanted a certain item so much that I had to make it myself. So now some of the few things I've knitted several years ago are a baby vest for my son when he was 3, some headbands, a halter top (that I dont even wear) and a baby shorts (which i was able to sell).

I'm still looking at the vest my son wore many times when he was small, and now I'm thinking, "did I really make this?" I'm amazed everytime I see my knitted projects because as of now I hardly have the patience to knit.:hook

Archived