To Edge or Not to Edge

That is the question. I made what seems like my hundredth Seraphina shawl and I guess I'm getting bored with them because I decided to do something different with this one. It's for my grandma.

The first picture shows it without any edging. The second one is with a different style of shell on the edge and the last two show picots added to those shells.

Which way do you like it best? (Click on pics for close-up)

#1 plain

post-2549-135897404263_thumb.jpg

#2 shell

post-2549-135897404268_thumb.jpg

#3 picots

post-2549-135897404275_thumb.jpg

P.S. I've artfully displayed the shawl on garbage bags:blushbecause I'm just that classy:loser . Sorry ~ I wanted something black behind it to show the stitches better.

post-2549-135897404271_thumb.jpg

Wow, what a beautiful shawl!!! You did a great job on it!! I'd love to try a seraphina when I get some time. I agree, the picots really add to the shawl. What kind of yarn did you use?

And I would have never gave it any thought about the background of trashbags, that's a good idea for pictures! You made me laugh though!

I didn't actually do it 3 times. The first pic was with nothing added. The second one had a different style of shell added, and the third was just picots added to the shells. So really I just added a little each time and now have to decide whether to leave it as is or take some off. Grandma's very low-tech and doesn't have email.

Now, I wouldn't have even known those were garbage bags unless you said so:lol

I like the picot edge too. You do BEAUTIFUL work, by the way.

Lynn

Wow! I really like it with your modifications, both with and without the picots!

I'm working on my second laceweight Seraphina, am about halfway done - oh, and the thinner the yarn you use, the longer it takes, not to mention more yardage, so you weren't imagining things. :lol

I'm planning on fringing this shawl I'm working on, several strands in each shell across. I had been planning on doing another in a thicker weight yarn, I may want to add one of those edgings to it too. I'm really impressed! Great job on that! :manyheart

I vote for the picots.

That is a gorgeous shawl. :clap I think my Granddaughter would just love one of those. I'll do a search for the pattern and get busy. Her birthday is in Feb.:manyheart

double2

• 2 years later...

Hi Chrome Kitty!

I'm not sure if you still check this thread so I tried to pm you..but it wouldn't go thru.

I was wondering if you would be willing to share your picot edging for the seraphina shawl? I've made quite a few of the shawls & I absolutely love the edging you put on it!!! I was also wondering what yarn you used for the red seraphina shawl in your photobucket?

Archived